Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Got some Rock Hill Farm SB and Sherry's Berries love it

Any of you Denver area liquor store people (just cruiser?) have the new laws whiskey yet? Looking to snag a batch 1 bottle.

BmillsSkier, posted that and then was way from the forum for a bit. I like the new Beck a lot. Some might not. It is very different from his prior stuff. Cruiser's 4 Roses is the shit. Clean and spicy. Very nice bourbon.

The most interesting and satisfying whiskey I've had recently is High West's A Midwinter's Night Dram (cute name). They finished their Rendevous rye in port and oak barrels and it comes out beautifully colored and smooth as silk. Kind of pricey, but it's a great pour. It'd be hard for me to name a better after-dinner choice.

I have been diggin redemption rye and Hudson single malt lately. If only they sold Hudson in a real bottle....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I have been diggin redemption rye and Hudson single malt lately. If only they sold Hudson in a real bottle....
    And at a reasonable price. Paying that high of a price for 375mL of something not Antique Collection or rare seems silly.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable Lasagna View Post
    Any of you Denver area liquor store people (just cruiser?) have the new laws whiskey yet? Looking to snag a batch 1 bottle.
    Didn't see this when you posted it. But I emailed Jake a while ago asking about retail distribution and never heard back. I assume they're crazy busy right now and when the initial buzz does down they'll have time to start working on distribution. In the mean time though your best bet is probably to head down Broadway and beat on their door.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Anyone try this years Parker's heritage?

Was really impressed with the flight of Michter's I had recently, the rye was my favorite

I picked up a bottle of the Parker's Heritage 8 and a bottle of the 2014 4R SmB LE this past week. Haven't cracked them yet though, waiting for a special occasion.

Good to hear about the michter's rye. LLS ordered some for me, so I am looking forward to trying it!

As my son is studying in Montreal, I've made a couple of trips to canada since summer.
    I must say that Wiser's Red Letter (not actualy a bourbon, but aged in bourbon barrel) is a very, very, fine spirit. Extremely smooth and subtle, a great rye. And it makes for awesome, if not cheap, old fashioned.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

It's the time of year when, if you have any relationship going with your LLS and you're interested in Pappy Van Winkle, you should ask. I scored a bottle of the 15 yo and it really is amazing. I'd go so far as to say vibrant:

/gloating

Nice.

I just picked up a bottle of High West Mid-Winter Night's Dram = Excellent.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I just picked up a bottle of High West Mid-Winter Night's Dram = Excellent.
    That stuff is awesome too.

Pappy allocations are beyond small this year. MS hit the jackpot with that bottle of 15y.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

My parents got me a bottle of Elijah Craig 21 as a wedding gift. I doubt that it's the best bourbon in that price-point, but holy hell is it delicious and seems to be getting better since I uncorked it. It is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up. I keep telling myself I'm going to ration it and make it last a long time, but it's a sin not to drink good bourbon so I'm not sure this bottle will see christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Too lazy to go through this thread to find it, but I just had a few shots of Angels Envy Bourbon. Awfully nice, but, pricey. Most expensive shot in the joint.

Was at a newly-rebranded restaurant here in town the other night (same owner, new concept), that purports to feature "burgers, bourbon, and beer". They had a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked aged in pinot noir barrels. The bartender was going on and on and on about how it was "the best whisky you'd ever taste" and that it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" to taste it at $30/glass. A quick Google search suggests I can get it shipped here for about $100-ish. I did not order a glass. I may order a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Was at a newly-rebranded restaurant here in town the other night (same owner, new concept), that purports to feature "burgers, bourbon, and beer". They had a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked aged in pinot noir barrels. The bartender was going on and on and on about how it was "the best whisky you'd ever taste" and that it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" to taste it at $30/glass. A quick Google search suggests I can get it shipped here for about $100-ish. I did not order a glass. I may order a bottle.
    They've been advertising that the last few weeks. I'd like to try some before plunking down that sorta cash
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Too lazy to go through this thread to find it, but I just had a few shots of Angels Envy Bourbon. Awfully nice, but, pricey. Most expensive shot in the joint.
    I think I've seen that stuff at bevmo in the same price range at WR....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    That's just this year's Master's Collection Woodford. Special, yeah, but as mentioned why not just spring for the whole bottle for just a little bit more? Maybe it's just more common around here. It's pretty tasty FWIW too.

Anyone who has a chance needs to pick up this, the 3rd generation, of Jefferson's Ocean. (Jefferson's single barrel aged at sea) The descriptor "salted carmel" nails it. So damn good. Buddy of mine grabbed a bottle when they hit shelves about three weeks ago around here. I had a sip and made it to the store to grab their last bottle. $70. Worth every penny.

I had a shot of the first generation of which only a handful of barrels survived and man was that intense (and the shot was about as much as the entire bottle of this batch). So much of the bourbon had escaped and it was insanely dark, concentrated, with lots of brine. They definitely dialed it back and dialed it in this time around.

Far from the best, but I'm sipping on a bottle of Four Roses single barrel right now that has been going down just fine. Well worth the price, but this one was a gift. Otherwise I generally drink Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare 10 year. As for the WR Double Oaked in Pinot Noir barrels, I didn't think you could call it bourbon, unless it is a new barrel? Any one want to explain?

I'll be spending thanksgiving at the parents place, and they are more into scotch, so looking forward to a change of pace there. It will be a nice couple of evenings in front of a fire for sure. Looking forward to it.

^^^
    It's still aged in new oak then finished for a time in Pinot barrels. It's still bourbon.

What should a peasant like me get for $50 or under per bottle? Preferably under. I need a Scotch and a bourbon.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Depends on what you can get, Mike. But using klwines.com as a guide for CA prices, my bourbon choices would be Eagle Rare 10 yo, Blanton's, or John J. Bowman. Four Roses Single Barrel and Angel's Envy are good choices as well.

Scotch is trickier - depends on the peat preferences of the person drinking, lots or little. I'm a scotch jong, so I'll defer to someone who knows more. But it'd probably be hard to go wrong with Lagavulin or Laphroig.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    What should a peasant like me get for $50 or under per bottle? Preferably under. I need a Scotch and a bourbon.
    Depends on pricing in your area. If you can find basil haden for that price go with that... 'cause if you're asking, it'll probably be a great bang for the buck around that price range as it's super smooth. If you want something that everyone will be impressed with get blanton's, but that's usually closer to the $60 range. If you can find Elmer T Lee, great great bang for the buck, just hard to find now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.