Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Solitude Expansion...

This oughta make some happy, some angry.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_13860390

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    I have mixed feelings on the expansion proposal. Is there a place where you can get more info?
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

No mixed feelings here. I would rather not see this happen. Anybody in the 'know', knows that it's pretty easy to get to most of these places anyway.

I haven't seen the master plan, but since in the last 15 years they have done away with at least half of their parking and have a real shitty parking situation right now. Where the fuck are all these people going to park?

Why expand? If the current area is pretty low-use, by resort standards, will making it bigger really attract more people?

I agree on lack of mixed feelings.

not to hijack...only add to Expansion-tactics used by some places that ultimately piss off everyone off

Arizona Snowbowl (a.k.a. Shitbowl) plans to expand as well

http://www.navajotimes.com/news/2009...09snowbowl.php

if you needed more reasons to hate a mt that sprays sewer water on desert peaks...

There's lots and lots and lots of places to go cross country ski, or backcountry ski. If that's what you want, why even bother with the cottonwoods. You could just go to central Idaho and never have to see another awful lift or ski area again. Or go to Upper Michigan and cross country ski until your balls fall off.
    Why do you insist that some place next to a huge city, in between like 7 ski areas, is some sacred wilderness?

I guess given good terrain I'd rather get on a chair at the bottom and ski laps than cross country ski uphill and get 1 or 2 runs a day on better snow.

^^^ YetiMan speaks the truth. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by that article
    Solitude Resort's proposal

To add 741 acres in Silver Fork basin (including 462 acres of public land) to the resort's existing 1,418 acres

That would provide easy access to a glacial bowl at 9,500 feet, good for intermediates and advanced skiers and boarders, and to the 50 degree-to-60 degree slopes of Meadow Chutes, ideal for experts

Justification: Utah skier visits grew 37 percent in the past decade, Wasatch Front population growth is projected to grow 65 percent in the next 20 years, increasing the need for recreational opportunities in the mountains.

Aren't the Meadow chutes more like 70 degrees?

More terrain there would be nice, but offering an actual season pass would be even better. I can't believe how retarded their "season pass" actually is. Solitude is a fun little mountain run and owned by complete idiots. I really wish someone would buy it that would be more interested in skiing than condo building.
    Thanks Shane

What are the poor ski areas going to do when they take over the whole
    Wasatch and there's no more land to expand on?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by tricameron View Post
    if you needed more reasons to hate a mt that sprays sewer water on desert peaks...
    Correction: WANTS to spray purified sewer water on a desert peak, but the USFS won't let them, actually listening to and caring about public opinion!!!

And I'm with Yeti on the Soli issue. There's still plenty of good touring to be done in the Wasatch, most of it much less used then SF is currently. The prospect of lifts and avy control in Silver Fork sound pretty nice to me!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

My 2 cents: Solitude could do a couple of things with the expansion.. first they could boast better terrain and more vert, thereby appealing to more skiers/boarders. Second they could potentially build out more development.. now they say they won't/can't do this but it has been done this way for many years.. and who is making money building lifts and selling tickets anyway..

in response to Yetiman.. you are ignorant! The beauty and solitude (forgive the pun) of the Cottonwoods in such close proximity to a "huge" city is exactly why it should be protected! there aren't many major cities that can boast about the kind of access to wilderness that Salt Lake has. We should protect the little bit that is left in our backyard.
    besides there are plenty of lift served runs for your lazy ass already.

I hope the Forest Service tells Solitude to SUCK IT!

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    More terrain there would be nice, but offering an actual season pass would be even better. I can't believe how retarded their "season pass" actually is. Solitude is a fun little mountain run and owned by complete idiots. I really wish someone would buy it that would be more interested in skiing than condo building.
    I think that you are totally off base. To me, Soli. has the best pass options in UT. It's weekday pass is unique (in UT.), as is its "pay per ride" pass. I say this, and my seasons' passes are to The Can. and Snowbird. When I go to Soli., I like that I can buy a 10 ride pass, take the chair up to Summit, and lap Evergreen until I'm tired for about $30/day.

As far as expansion goes, I like more lifts to the goods. There is still plenty of backcountry terrain, and you can always hike to other goods after riding the chair (ala The Canyons 9990 lift).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    And I'm with Yeti on the Soli issue. There's still plenty of good touring to be done in the Wasatch, most of it much less used then SF is currently. The prospect of lifts and avy control in Silver Fork sound pretty nice to me!
    Guys, the Wasatch Powder Guides will take you up there all day if you want.

What's that, you don't have the money to pay for heli skiing?!, well suck it, you dirt bag, you're as bad as those working class people that complain that they can't afford lift tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by finsy View Post
    in response to Yetiman.. you are ignorant!
    nice. the Michael Jackson position.

well played sir.

I can't believe how gay this place has become.

I'm actually starting to argue with skiers about whether or not lifts are good.

Honestly bro, it's a big world out there. Don't ski right next to the lifts then act all bummed that you have to see lifts. retardo.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    There is still plenty of backcountry terrain, and you can always hike to other goods after riding the chair (ala The Canyons 9990 lift).
    I guess this was kinda my point, since SF is already in this category

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    There's lots and lots and lots of places to go cross country ski, or backcountry ski. If that's what you want, why even bother with the cottonwoods. You could just go to central Idaho and never have to see another awful lift or ski area again. Or go to Upper Michigan and cross country ski until your balls fall off.
    Why do you insist that some place next to a huge city, in between like 7 ski areas, is some sacred wilderness?

I guess given good terrain I'd rather get on a chair at the bottom and ski laps than cross country ski uphill and get 1 or 2 runs a day on better snow.
    ^^
    This is what I have been saying for years to people. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by finsy View Post
    in response to Yetiman.. you are ignorant! The beauty and solitude (forgive the pun) of the Cottonwoods in such close proximity to a "huge" city is exactly why it should be protected! there aren't many major cities that can boast about the kind of access to wilderness that Salt Lake has. We should protect the little bit that is left in our backyard.
    besides there are plenty of lift served runs for your lazy ass already.

I hope the Forest Service tells Solitude to SUCK IT!

Last bit of wilderness left? There are a million people 15 minutes away, all of which you can see from the tops of most of the peaks in this "wilderness". ITS NOT WILDERNESS. I understand the dedicated backcountry skiers not wanting the last bit of their terrain to be developed, but like yetiman said, if you are looking for undeveloped/unspoiled terrain/landscape, than Salt Lake City probably isn't the place for you.

Not trying to be a dick, that's just my view on the matter. I lived in Silver Fork last year. I'd love to see some lift access to some of that terrain. Honestly, I would love to see all four resorts interconnected. At this point, it doesn't make sense not to. Hell, the backcountry basically gets tracked out in this so-called wilderness, might as well make it all lift access, it would pretty much be the most badass super resort around. I know not many on here are going to agree with this...but thats what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    What are the poor ski areas going to do when they take over the whole Wasatch and there's no more land to expand on?
    Ocher Mountains Baby! Ski Kennecott!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post
    Honestly, I would love to see all four resorts interconnected.
    This is going to happen one day. Except it won't be all four resorts, it will be 6.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

People that have a bug up their ass about something like this SF expansion remind me of the douchebag "Friends Of.." groups who try to get mountainbikes kicked out of trails on the fringes of urban areas. NIMBY's. You want a wilderness experience? Go to a wilderness.

Hey, if you want to give up more open land so a few people can make a bunch of money off your land, go ahead. Just don't bitch to me when they want to charge you $2000 for a season pass, day passes are $100, and you can't afford it. You can always drive up to Idaho to get a few laps in.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Aren't the Meadow chutes more like 70 degrees?
    THERE ARE NO CHUTES IN THE MEADOWS.
    That's just shit Maynerd and his meadow skipping crew made up to make it seem more core. As I posted on ttips how their gonna manage to actually put lifts in and add enough patrol and staff to do control work when, they couldn't manage to build a giant snowman even with a few hundred hours of mexican labor is beyond me.

Tucos right I'ved dragged Icegrom out there. It's not that hard to get out there.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I agree and dont forget the new position of the Powderhorn lift. Why the previous location was great
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I kind of miss the old days the old A frame and thirsty squirrel, no season passes except employees and debenture investors. Back then it truely was solitude. Now if the lcc is closed there are lift lines and the people in em have alta stickers plastered on their gear Thank good for good bc access
    specially steep ones with cables and no fall zones.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno