Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    cause I think we should start the ball rolling asap on the lift up to the top of cardiac ridge.
    The funny thing is, Bass basically owns all of Superior and Cardiac and could pretty much start building a tram to the top of Superior today if he really wanted to.

A lift in Silver Fork is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. Just the cost of jumping through all the required NEPA hoops and the inevitable lawsuits by SOC, SUWA and SLC watershed regulators will probably make it non-viable, especially since Solitude probably just incurred a whole lot of new debt doing their recent lift upgrades.

The Flagstaff lift is much more likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    They're waiting for Iceman to arrive and cut the ribbon
    , there is no way he is cutting the right ribbon. In fact I am pretty sure he is wandering around the greater D.C. area right now randomly cutting pieces of ribbon he finds in his path.

No WAY he is making it before next weekend. I really wanted to take a look at what the terrain looked like before it was covered by thier man made snow they planned on blowing all over it before the christmas rush. Well, guess I will just have to que up for Alta's lift up flagstaff instead.

See you all there!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    When and if enough people value open space to push it into the Wilderness or Park realm, that will be a different thing, but until then the FS (For Sale) is going to manage it for a profit. It is their job.
    Not necessarily for profit, for the most public benefit. The agency doesn't "profit", it's a public entity so it's not as if there is some forest supervisor raking in bonuses here...If 100000 skiers benefit from recreational value of a ski area, and watershed resources are preserved, and the residents of the region benefit from tourism this will take precedence over 1000 BC skiers who like to have the area to themselves.
    This is how that works. It's not about a monetary bottom line, it's about a complete approach to best utilize an area.

This seems to be a concept that's just beyond your reach...

Of course, many people have misconceptions confusing the USDA/USFS with the ideals of the park service. The FS is not a preservation model, it's a utilization/agrarian model.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post

I imagine this is similar in nature to the fact that nothing I or anybody else says is going to keep the skiers who love touring and love the BC from loving what they love. My only point with regard to that, is that the venue for BC skiing is, really, almost any place with mountains and snow. Having flown over the wasatch in a helicopter a lot (fucking hold your fire SFB, it was summer/fire stuff ) I can say that the ski areas are a small, small amount of the snowy mountains where a person who likes BC could go ski. The ratio is remarkable really. Take a look.

What's to say that the BC that becomes sidecountry/slackcountry with an expansion isn't just as good or better than the current sidecountry being absorbed? How is it a given that this will have the posited effects: harming the wasatch BC skiing experience, furthering retarded condo crap, turning soli into vail/killington/DV? I just don't see it.

Now you're just making shit up. For one, much of the area you have circled is not skiable under most conditions. For two, the vast majority of it is not skiable in a day, much less the 1/2 to 2/3 of a day in which many of us have to ski.

If you want to talk about stuff that's realistically skiable for SL Valley dwellers with day jobs (that damn capitalism again) you are talking about the alpine ridge, the cottonwood ridge, and the mill creek ridge. At a lot of that terrain is not high-quality ski terrain. Sure, I could quit my job and just ski, but then my greed and bloodlust would not be satiated.

Do you even live in Utah anymore? If not, why do you care?

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Not necessarily for profit, for the most public benefit. The agency doesn't "profit", it's a public entity so it's not as if there is some forest supervisor raking in bonuses here...If 100000 skiers benefit from recreational value of a ski area, and watershed resources are preserved, and the residents of the region benefit from tourism this will take precedence over 1000 BC skiers who like to have the area to themselves.
    This is how that works. It's not about a monetary bottom line, it's about a complete approach to best utilize an area.
    I, too, served over a year term of working for the government. (Not the forest service, though.) Nowadays, I work with the government on a daily basis, on the consulting end. The “profit” in the government sector comes in the form of increased tax dollar allocations, budgeting, and domain. Anyone who calls our government a non-profit must have the wool pulled over their eyes pretty thickly. Don't let the contextual term of "profit," confuse you when applied outside the conventional realm of the free market.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Maybe I'll move back someday Maybe I'll come from out of town to ski Solitude when I'm living somewhere else...

You're going to have a really fucking hard time convincing me there's only a tiny area that you can backcountry ski around Salt Lake, and most of that is in Silver Fork. Sorrydude.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I, too, served over a year term of working for the government. (Not the forest service, though.) Nowadays, I work with the government on a daily basis, on the consulting end. The “profit” in the government sector comes in the form of increased tax dollar allocations, budgeting, and domain. Anyone who calls our government a non-profit must have the wool pulled over their eyes pretty thickly. Don't let the contextual term of "profit," confuse you when applied outside the conventional realm of the free market.
    semantics

The forest service is not a business, it's not trying to make the most money it can. Revenue is a factor, it is not the only factor.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Pad

I worked for the guberment too all I got was a shitty haircut.
    Oh wait a minute german chicks en der poopenhausen
    Alles Clar
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    semantics

The forest service is not a business, it's not trying to make the most money it can. Revenue is a factor, it is not the only factor.
    Fall back behind the guise of semantics, if you must. Maybe some day you'll see the grave error of your thinking.

Until that happens, just KNOW that the government is OUT TO GET YOU!

Click here to increase your vocabulary.

^^^^ fuckin dynafiddlers betrayed me and my bro almost skied that sweet shot off the backside of the meadows into Days without me. I can't wait till I can rock my 18 din green spring binders back there
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    Do you even live in Utah anymore? If not, why do you care?
    Oooohhh! You just completely pwn3d Yeti there, douchebag!

Killer arguement.

Maybe I'll move back someday Maybe I'll come from out of town to ski Solitude when I'm living somewhere else...

You're going to have a really fucking hard time convincing me there's only a tiny area that you can backcountry ski around Salt Lake, and most of that is in Silver Fork. Sorrydude.

Yup, those are all my current fav places to ski, outside the current lines of the sheep pen. I mean, I like sheep, don't get me wrong, but..........I just don't like to ski with them.

Bump for soli sheep baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Bump for soli sheep baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    Is that BobMc or Yeti? Hard to tell with the flat light and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Is that BobMc or Yeti? Hard to tell with the flat light and all.
    that's the only naked ex-GF pic I'm posting, enjoy.

Oh, right - that must be why the Forest Service permits the Wasatch Powderbirds to fly helicopters in a designated non motorized area, which must benefit, what, 150 people per year at the expense of the rest of the public.

Greatest good for the greatest fees is more like it.

what is your problem with the heli skiing? Just that they access places you morally feel should be more difficult to access? They don't deserve to be where you are?

Or is it that the aircraft disturbs the wildlife?

Run me through the quick summary of why it's wrong for the forest service to permit helicopters to fly in the forest...other than you personally don't like people tracking your snow up?

BLOCK THE CANYONS, SHUT DOWN THE LIFTS. ONLY THE MOST BURLY BROBRAHS WILL TREK INTO THE SACRED WILDERNESS FOR THEY ALONE DESERVE TO SKI POW!

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE.

^^^
    Cool, I'm all for that.
    As for the heli. Designated non motorized should mean designated non motorized, no exceptions.

ood, Uta wants to sit you down and give you a lesson in German spelling.....

but no pupenhausen.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Imagine that it Feb 2004. You show up the morning after a 15 to 20 inch storm. You are the first one in the parking lot of Days Fork. Stoked. You put your shit on and break trail for 2 hours between you and your touring partner. 5 minutes before you hit your destination some douchebags in a heli drop off a bunch of other douchebags right on top of your line. In the whole scope of reality there is no way said douchebags in heli did not see you and your skin path leading up there, but fucking landed anyway, even though there are plenty of lines to be had in vicinity(this really did happen,by the way) Fucking douchebags.

Other than that, no problem with helis.

what is your problem with the heli skiing?
    I don't have a problem with heliskiing in general, but do have a problem with the Wasatch Powderbirds and their butt-buddies in the Forest Service who issue them permits to bomb the living hell out of the Wasatch backcountry.

Run me through the quick summary of why it's wrong for the forest service to permit helicopters to fly in the forest...other than you personally don't like people tracking your snow up?
    Sorry - you've been outed as wire-riding tourist who picks a ski resort based on how much acreage it has and pays full price for a day ticket. I don't owe you anything but pity.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Sorry - you've been outed as wire-riding tourist who picks a ski resort based on how much acreage it has and pays full price for a day ticket.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    ^^^me wants a pair of those neon and black banded pants
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com