Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Most ski areas (almost all with worthy terrain) are too expensive.

They are distracted with the type of development shown above.

As a result guys like Mr. Straightchuter are driven into the backcountry and we are left without any vision in ski area management.

There aren't a lot of skiers. We need to stay involved with running our ski areas or there will be more of the overdeveloped bologna we already have.

you know...just from a pure and strictly skiing standpoint, I've had some good comped days skiing Deer Valley. I wanted to shart diarrhea at their attitudes and the base area and the overall "atmosphere" but it's fun skiing for a day. Especially for somebody who likes to lap trees, lap good soft bumps, and rail groomers. The trees there are empty and hold good snow.

But yeah, the base area and the attitude is repulsive to me.

Whoa, Ski Area =/ Ski Resort.

I think my little dirt bag ski area is running close to $57/day now, and a new chair has been in the works as well, but I don't see a heated pool in the future. Oh wait, the Alpenrose across the street has had a heated pool since the 70's, such opulence.

I'd be nice if our favorite ski areas didn't trend towards resorts, our private stashes always remained our own, that we could roll the clock back to 1994, or 85', or 76' before everything was ruined. Soli has always been a favorite of mine. Whether or not a chair goes in Silverfork isn't going to change that.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Right, because skiing used to be so much more affordable when adjusted for inflation. Oh, wait a sec.... With the exception of small local feeder hills, skiing always has been, and always will be, a pursuit for the wealthier segments of our society.
    Having grown up skiing at small local feeder hills that have now been bought up by large corperations or gone out of business, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Skiing is getting really expensive.

And I don't quite understand the point about DV. Are you saying that's the only and inevitable outcome for Solitude if the Silver Fork expansion goes through? Not exactly a compelling argument given that DV is about as far out on the end of the retard spectrum as you can get.
    I'm saying that with terrain expansion comes base amenities expansion. It is not like Solitude is going to expand into Silver Fork, then reduce their ticket prices and give locals a break.

Personally, I don't mind Deer Valley all that much. They have good skiing for what it is, and, they are on private property. If they want land, they buy it.

The lift up Flag, a lift into Silver Fork, or a lift to White Pine isn't about quality skiing, it's about marketing, and that elusive "ski the homo back bowls of XXX resort on XXX amount of acres!" It's about printing those numbers on a flier, or a web page, or some comparison in SKI magazine.

These expansions are NOT about skiing, they are about numbers, that's why they are so fucking stupid.

On that note, I've been skinning up Snowbird just about daily because the public land to the east won't let me. Ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Having grown up skiing at small local feeder hills that have now been bought up by large corperations or gone out of business, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Skiing is getting really expensive.
    The ones that went out of business weren't charging enough. Their pricing is irrelevant. What feeder hills have been bought up by large corporations? Feeder hills aren't attractive to large corporations by and large b/c they don't generally offer real estate opportunities. Who wants a condo at the base of Ski Sundown in CT?

I'm saying that with terrain expansion comes base amenities expansion. It is not like Solitude is going to expand into Silver Fork, then reduce their ticket prices and give locals a break.
    You're setting up a slippery slope argument here, not unlike the rationale for remaining in Vietnam back in the day. If we lose Vietnam, then we lose Cambodia. If we lose Cambodia, then Thailand is next, and so on.... One does not inevitably lead to the next. Using DV's retarded state of base development as the inevitable outcome for a Silver Fork expansion makes zero sense. As for reducing ticket prices and giving locals a break, there is no scenario where that's likely to happen, expansion or not, so it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    The lift up Flag, a lift into Silver Fork, or a lift to White Pine isn't about quality skiing, it's about marketing, and that elusive "ski the homo back bowls of XXX resort on XXX amount of acres!" It's about printing those numbers on a flier, or a web page, or some comparison in SKI magazine.

These expansions are NOT about skiing, they are about numbers, that's why they are so fucking stupid.
    Huh?

If the marketing department hypes a new expansion, it's not about skiing? Ohhhhhhhhk.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

On that note, I've been skinning up Snowbird just about daily because the public land to the east won't let me. Ironic.
    What's going on? This is the second homo reference in this thread and this one is in yellow font.
    Your not skinning up the bird in lycra tights, a barbie backpack and trab skis are you?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Huh?

If the marketing department hypes a new expansion, it's not about skiing? Ohhhhhhhhk.
    Think what you want BobMC, this is about marketing numbers, not the actually quality of the skiing.

These Homo Back Bowls are at Snowbird????

Man - I've gotta start skiing there more often.

Think what you want BobMC, this is about marketing numbers, not the actually quality of the skiing.
    Well then, I'd bet if the proposal does go through they won't even put in a lift. They'll just redraw the trail map and claim the additional acres, cause, you know, it's not really about skiing there.

Won't all those ski magazine readers be surprised when they show up to ski the new terrain and find out Solitude won't even let them in. (Cause, you know, it's just about the marketing.)

Well then, I'd bet if the proposal does go through they won't even put in a lift. They'll just redraw the trail map and claim the additional acres, cause, you know, it's not really about skiing there.

Won't all those ski magazine readers be surprised when they show up to ski the new terrain and find out Solitude won't even let them in. (Cause, you know, it's just about the marketing.)
    Yeah, and the proposed lift up Flag is just for avy control. Pull your head out of the sand. Neil Rafferty at Ski Utah is salivating for the checkmate on the Wasatch. A lift up Flag, expansion into Silver Fork, and now you have AltaSoliBrightonBird. Think of all the tourists pouring in for that, that's the bottom line. The two weeks of holiday tourism dollars.

Pull your head out of the sand.
    Head out of the sand? You make it sound like Ski Utah is pulling one over on me. Guess what? I'm all for the joining of the resorts, I would like to see a lift up Flag and into Silver Fork. No sand burying my head. I'm looking forward to running laps in Silver Fork. If it is such "low quality" skiing, why the fuss if a resort takes it over?

Head out of the sand? You make it sound like Ski Utah is pulling one over on me. Guess what? I'm all for the joining of the resorts, I would like to see a lift up Flag and into Silver Fork. No sand burying my head. I'm looking forward to running laps in Silver Fork. If it is such "low quality" skiing, why the fuss if a resort takes it over?
    If you want to run laps in Silver Fork, why don't you just walk up and do it? It's not hard and it's often safe. Better snow that under the lifts, even on a heavy traffic day. It's free too.

If you want to ride lifts, why don't you ride one of the 50 or so that already dot our tiny range? Are you bored of those? Need something new? How long before you get bored of the Silver Fork lift? Where should we put one after that?

I'm looking forward to running laps in Silver Fork.
    You can do that now, for nominal effort, and enjoy MUCH better snow lap after lap. When there's a lift, you'll get one chance, then it'll be tracked out and suck balls five minutes later.

I find riding lifts monotonous and repetitive, maybe that's why the people who ski lifts want more of them, because they too feel it's monotonous and repetitive year after year, skiing the same thing, over and over and over again.

Perhaps if you went skinning there on a good day you might see the value in keeping the lifts out.

You can do that now, for nominal effort, and enjoy MUCH better snow lap after lap. When there's a lift, you'll get one chance, then it'll be tracked out and suck balls five minutes later.

I find riding lifts monotonous and repetitive, maybe that's why the people who ski lifts want more of them, because they too feel it's monotonous and repetitive year after year, skiing the same thing, over and over and over again.

Perhaps if you went skinning there on a good day you might see the value in keeping the lifts out.
    I find cross country skiing boring and monotonous, I find slogging up the side of the hill boring and monotonous. Tomayto, tomahto.

I rode the Moonbeam chair 57 times the last few weeks. It was the only lift running, it was still skiing. I like skiing.

If my choice of resort has more acreage to spread out the crowds, I'm all for it. If my choice of resort has more acreage to spread my day out, I'm all for it.

Like you said earlier, it's like the Gaza strip and everyone is fighting for their piece of it. (Nice quote, I like it.) In the end all of our internet discussions aren't really going to matter, it'll come down to who has the most lawyers, .

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    The ones that went out of business weren't charging enough. Their pricing is irrelevant. What feeder hills have been bought up by large corporations? Feeder hills aren't attractive to large corporations by and large b/c they don't generally offer real estate opportunities. Who wants a condo at the base of Ski Sundown in CT?

You're setting up a slippery slope argument here, not unlike the rationale for remaining in Vietnam back in the day. If we lose Vietnam, then we lose Cambodia. If we lose Cambodia, then Thailand is next, and so on.... One does not inevitably lead to the next. Using DV's retarded state of base development as the inevitable outcome for a Silver Fork expansion makes zero sense. As for reducing ticket prices and giving locals a break, there is no scenario where that's likely to happen, expansion or not, so it's irrelevant.
    You are right. Fuck it.

Like you said earlier, it's like the Gaza strip and everyone is fighting for their piece of it. (Nice quote, I like it.) In the end all of our internet discussions aren't really going to matter, it'll come down to who has the most lawyers, .
    Yup, this is true. My hunch is, me and my elitist, lycra wearing, "it's all about the up" crew, iz gunna looze.

Hey, I'll admit, I like ripping groomers on a sunny day at resorts. But racing around for the pow at a resort isn't my type of fun, I'd rather walk for that.

I find cross country skiing boring and monotonous, I find slogging up the side of the hill boring and monotonous. .
    I will never understand how people do not like the up. Out of curiosity, do you like to hike or bicycle?

To tell ya the truth I'm not nuts about the up a few hits of trail shortner some dynawhompers fkna kickass carbon skis and I'll make it. The payoff of untracked pow and the ability to chill at the top relaxing knowing it's just you and your crew to contend with.
    please ullr bless us with snow so we can get on to better skiing
    Bob it sounds cooler if you call it moonunit instead of beam.
    See ya sunday black /earth tones, bros with either dukes cranked to 16, dynafits, silverttas or demo binders and a helmet with stickers.
    Bring cookies to go with the whiskey please.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Awesome, arguing about which type of skiing is better.

Things change. How tight your skirt gets twisted is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    Things change. How tight your skirt gets twisted is up to you.
    It's panties, not skirts. Figure it out already, dipshit.

It's panties, not skirts. Figure it out already, dipshit.
    Please excuse my mistake, I am part french.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    Please excuse my mistake, I am part french.
    The french are assholes. What is a Sol Skier?

I rode the Moonbeam chair 57 times the last few weeks.
    Did you really count? The season I played barista boy in the house of stoner I counted Evergreen laps ended with 137. I ussually don't count things but it was cool to keep track.
    Where's Xover? He don't like sorrydude Powstash told me he was scawarded on the fantasy booter
    Wheres Powstash gone to? Maybe trackhead will let me tag along up Stillman ridge way this winter to ski with him heard it's the new butler fork
    When will it snow? can I crack 3k by xmass? Whens the beacon park going in?
    Are the french really assholes???