Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I think my comments on capitalism have been distorted. By itself, it is fine, but when it crosses over into greed, it is a problem. Case in point, when there is so little traffic at Solitude that that you can ski directly onto a high-speed quad that has skiers every third chair, yet Solitude still feels they need to expand onto public land, that is pure pork-belly greed. They are doing it because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it.

For sure, if you put a lift in there, thousands of skiers will use it. The same could be said for golf courses or dirt bike tracks. Nobody golfs in Silver Fork now, but if you put a course in there, 1,000's would. To me, this doesn't justify trashing pristine public terrain and turning it over to some concession to profit from.

Edited to add: My point with Boulder, C0 was that people value open space. It doesn't really matter who owns it (BLM, Forest Service, Ted Turner, etc.), just being next to it has value. Once it is sold/leased, it just profits one person, or one agency in the case of the Forest Service.
    Last edited by StraightChuter; 12-03-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Save Our Canyons new recruits. Young, motivated, ruthless.
    Anyways, please don't confuse what I'm saying with being on the side of the Wilderness Mongers.

Although I agree with alot of Straight Chuters points, I am totally against the idea of additional Wilderness being the only way that we can manage the future of our public lands. I hate the attitude that our only option against over developement is Wilderness designation. It's a cop out. The eco commies should just be honest like Straight Chuter and admit they hate capitalism and want the economy to tank. (all due respect, just having fun).

I would like to say that there must be a way to compromise and work on local solutions, but I doubt that would happen with the incestuous relationship between the Forest Service and the ski resort developers. Hey at least it's not with timber or mining now. Fascism, the 'merican way.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    best get that lad some winter overwhites or he's not gonna last long. Send him to a training camp run by this guy

Actually I've toured silver fork with Splat and Captain Powder if those two hard partying senior citizens can make it back there well......
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

It seems like the majority of people here would prefer if those lifts were gone...is that right?
    Yeti, It's like my point on Wilderness. I am all good with the Wilderness that exsists. I just don't think we need more. I am all for the lifts that make up the Wasatch ski areas, but why argue for more at this point when so many people can now enjoy that terrain without the use of lifts? Anyways, good luck fellas, I hope everyone can be happy there. Cheers and hopefully you all get some snow soon.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Pffft to much yackin
    Time for a ski off to settle this
    I got $20 on the Yeti

any takers
    Nice pics Mr. wizzard thanks
    just $20??? damn, you are either broke or selling yeti short, i am going with broke as my guess.
    Last edited by dk_alaskan; 12-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Pffft to much yackin
    Time for a ski off to settle this
    I got $20 on the Yeti
    any takers
    Bump it to $1,000 and I'll take you up on it.

Ah hell. I was standing in Silver fork drainage about where I presume the new lift is going to be, you know, waiting for first tracks when all hell broke loose.

Apparently I was standing in snow that used to be water just off the coast of the state of Washington, and this psycho lady came up to me all pissed that I was in water that used to be on top of her land.

Now I have a big ass ticket and am not sure what to do, any advice?

Broke ass unemployed skibum and the straightchuter aint no slouch. He may show up with megawatts plug boots and greenspring binders and send it or send one of his bc.com athelete crew to run interference
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ski Off!

Where is this going to go down, on the new Soli Silver Fork lift?

And don't sell him short. Straightchuter is a tremendous slouch.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Bump it to $1,000 and I'll take you up on it.
    See Guys been sandbagging it with those sissy sticks, dynawhompers, and rando boots and those hippy jump turns. He's ready to roll

One more point:
    A/T is the new snowboarding.

Here's why: skiing steep, hardpacked, bumped out trees is very hard. If you don't want to put in the time and effort and injuries and all the bullshit it takes to get to that point of being able to enjoy that kind of skiing there's always some kind of shortcut. You used to be able to get on a snowboard and be a great snowboarder in a year and be super hardcore. "I'm a great snowboarder and skiers suck, look at those lame skiers, I rip on a snowboard and snowboarding is the coolest newest thing you can do." Now it's A/T...if you can buy some dukes, and skin up a track to some low angle pow you're the hardest core guy in the wasatch and fuck all those inbounds skiers, I'm super hardcore backcountry low angle pow guy."

It's a shortcut to a status.

This isn't to say that people don't do it just because it's fun and they love it, but when something comes along that's an easier way into being the cool kid they're going to take it.

Plenty of truly great skiers went to snowboarding just because it's fun, just like lots and lots of truly great skiers tour because they love touring and skiing good snow in the BC. But both of those things have also been poser magnets.

The same strong skiers are going to be in the same place they've always been, lapping the tram, lapping the collins... 10 years ago the posers were getting snowboards, now they're getting dukes and skins to go XC and ski low-angle pow. It's another shortcut to being the cool kid because skiing is hard.

Wow. I'm going to the store to grab some popcorn now.

come on brother your reaching now second stupidest arguement in the thread next to Buzz's parking rant

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    This thread makes me a less desirable employee.

For the record, I would welcome and spectate a ski-off between the esteemed Mr. Yeti and the outspoken advocate of the untracked experience, Mr. Chuter. Aren't you both either sponsored and/or work at shops? How about the wager be something other than money?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

I ski in the backcountry because I'm not good enough to ski steep, hardpacked, bumped-out trees.

He shoots, he scores.

Fuck that bong off. I'm taking on all ya cept wow he's a ringer
    oh and this thread needs some oneplanked silver stoke

come on brother your reaching now second stupidest arguement in the thread next to Buzz's parking rant

Ok, will compromise. BobMc will petition (and win) to have the new lift start at his house. I will then commute to BobMc's place and ride from there thus leaving the whole Soli parking lot to the uphillers.

Ready, break.

The big question though, will the ski off be on beat crusty moguls? A "beat off?"

Or will it be on the lines of the competitors choice in Wolverine Cirque.

I don't know, who should get home field advantage? This is important.

^^^^ the sillytude "family friendly" terrain park

The race needs to be in silver fork, it is what is being discussed.

Yeti gets to ride the new lift they are putting in, chuter gets to use his skins, and I propose that I get into this race and have wasatch heli drop me off.

First one to make 5 laps takes all.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    One more point:
    A/T is the new snowboarding.

Here's why: skiing steep, hardpacked, bumped out trees is very hard. If you don't want to put in the time and effort and injuries and all the bullshit it takes to get to that point of being able to enjoy that kind of skiing there's always some kind of shortcut. You used to be able to get on a snowboard and be a great snowboarder in a year and be super hardcore. "I'm a great snowboarder and skiers suck, look at those lame skiers, I rip on a snowboard and snowboarding is the coolest newest thing you can do." Now it's A/T...if you can buy some dukes, and skin up a track to some low angle pow you're the hardest core guy in the wasatch and fuck all those inbounds skiers, I'm super hardcore backcountry low angle pow guy."

It's a shortcut to a status.

This isn't to say that people don't do it just because it's fun and they love it, but when something comes along that's an easier way into being the cool kid they're going to take it.

Plenty of truly great skiers went to snowboarding just because it's fun, just like lots and lots of truly great skiers tour because they love touring and skiing good snow in the BC. But both of those things have also been poser magnets.

The same strong skiers are going to be in the same place they've always been, lapping the tram, lapping the collins... 10 years ago the posers were getting snowboards, now they're getting dukes and skins to go XC and ski low-angle pow. It's another shortcut to being the cool kid because skiing is hard.
    So, assuming this is reflective of your reasons for skiing, we now know that your are a tourist who comes Utah to ski steep bumps under the lifts so everyone knows how cool you are. (I'll give you the winky so you know I'm not trying to be a dick (but really, I am).)

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    The race needs to be in silver fork, it is what is being discussed.

Yeti gets to ride the new lift they are putting in, chuter gets to use his skins, and I propose that I get into this race and have wasatch heli drop me off.

First one to make 5 laps takes all.
    Not sure the ski-off would be merely about speed. Style, finesse, and steeze might come into play.

Here's where you can feel important by casting your vote: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177475"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177475[/ame]
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post

I've skied about 8 days on lifts in the past 16 years. I used to race USSA, rode lifts at Bridger, and used to ski a hell of a lot stronger than I do now. My ability at skiing has done nothing but decline since I started touring only. Nobody is arguing that hiking to ski only makes you good at one thing, hiking.

But you tough guys on Collins won't ever ski this, coz when we're making turns down this, your sorry ass is just waking up from the last hangover and you're probably standing in a line 500 deep at Bralta. You can have your lifts, just keep them out of MY terrain. If a lift keeps more people inside the confines of the sheep pen, then I'm all for it, keep your lift and stay inside the pen. Too much wool runnin' around these parts as it is.