Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    Have you had good German food?
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Dude. Brad Pitt lead the guys who killed Hitler.
    I know. And that's why I hate them Narzis now -- I'm with Brad, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Utter View Post
    Have you had good German food?
    Fixed
    Reminds me of an old Dick Cavett line. "I eat at this German-Chinese restaurant and the food is delicious. The only problem is that an hour later you're hungry for power."
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    You're sounding like a fucking bigot, douchenozzle. Ever see inglorious basterds? Perhaps you need shit carved in your forehead with an edge from your precious german manufactured skis. AlpenChronicHabitual is 100% right, tolerances are better in China.

Instead, why don't you find a ski that's produced in the US or wherever you please? If you don't like something about the Volkls, nobody ever said you had to buy them.
    You are fucking retarded if you think I am a Nazi because I think that skis made in Germany are better than china. Get a grip loser....oh I am sure that the movie you referred to is so accurate. I would really like to see you try and carve something in my forehead. Go back to your sweet BMX track....

You are fucking retarded if you think I am a Nazi because I think that skis made in Germany are better than china. Get a grip loser....oh I am sure that the movie you referred to is so accurate. I would really like to see you try and carve something in my forehead. Go back to your sweet BMX track....

Oh, sorry, did I strike a nerve? How many times have you posted saying Germany is better than China? You won't stop preaching it, and you don't have any solid evidence saying that Germany is better than China - so that's why you look retarded. And you looked at my profile, right on, good for you buddy. I couldn't give a fuck about the movie, I'm only making reference because I've watched it recently. However you're still sounding pretty fascist with your german blabber that has no evidence behind it, so don't get all butthurt when you call something out that you know nothing about .

Calm down, Graham. You're fighting a straw man.

It seems a little silly to bash Germany for an ideology leading to atrocities committed before and during a war we won 65 years ago, while ignoring China's current ideology and related atrocities. (No, I'm not equating the Holocaust with anything, and anyway, I get my MOT pass, plus I'm a pinko, so feh.)

There are lots of reasons why someone might prefer skis made in Germany over those from China. Some are legit, some are racist. Personally, when I have a choice one way or the other, I try to avoid putting my money into a country that produces things cheaply by violating human rights on a grand scale, and that has a history of exporting downright dangerous products. I've got no beef with the Chinese people, just with their government and bosses.

I'm invoking Godwin's Law, bitches.

I agree with the Dad 100%.....Scrubadub out

I got a pair of BD verdicts made in the atomic factory and I got a pair of BD verdicts made in china

so far I would say both skis have had a more or less equal amount of abuse ,both are holding up fine I can't see any lack of quality in either ski either when new or now

performance wise the newer model is improved but that is just design

edit:isnt china going to own the US before too long ?

For many years, 'made in Japan' was synonymous with crap quality. cheap plastic toys, etc, were the mainstay. over time, of course, japanese mfg quality increased dramatically, to the point that for things like cameras and consumer electronics, it's a mark of quality.

Korea also is going through a similar transition. Korean cars like Hyundai, from an objective and statistical perspective, are now pretty decent quality and more reliable than, say, a Range Rover.

In some industries CHina makes some high end, high quality goods. In others, not so much. Sweeping generalizations are difficult. It's been widely reported that K2 skis, from a mfg tolerance and reject rate perspective, actually improved in quality compared to vashon island K2s...once the chinese plant got things down.

My chinese volkls have been lower quality than my german volkls in terms of durability of materials, but that may be related to other factors, and is capable of being changed. TOday i'm picking up my 2010 katanas, which I assume are made in china, and I'll be interested to see how they hold up compared to the older version with the clear sidewalls.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

it was all this guys fault ,he taught the japanese how to make better stuff ,I seen him interviewed on PBS and buddy claimed that while the japanese embraced his ideas & methods north americans did not listen ... 50 yrs later GM has to be bailed out

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Calm down, Graham. You're fighting a straw man.

It seems a little silly to bash Germany for an ideology leading to atrocities committed before and during a war we won 65 years ago, while ignoring China's current ideology and related atrocities. (No, I'm not equating the Holocaust with anything, and anyway, I get my MOT pass, plus I'm a pinko, so feh.)

There are lots of reasons why someone might prefer skis made in Germany over those from China. Some are legit, some are racist. Personally, when I have a choice one way or the other, I try to avoid putting my money into a country that produces things cheaply by violating human rights on a grand scale, and that has a history of exporting downright dangerous products. I've got no beef with the Chinese people, just with their government and bosses.

I'm invoking Godwin's Law, bitches.
    My bad on all getting bent outta shape over some JONG comments. The Dad, (I can't bring myself to type just Dad, it's too fucking weird) you know what you're talking about. Instead of just spewing a personal opinion over and over, your bottom paragraph is super legit, and I respect that.

No worries.

Now let's go ski.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I have heard:
    Metal = Made in Germany
    No Metal = Made in China.
    (for 09.10)
    Not correct. The Katana has a metal top and is made in China. The Bridge does not have a metal top and it's made in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by whorehey View Post
    Katana in Germany then?
    I don't think so.

Squaretail, would you please comment.
    Katanas are made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Poacher View Post
    Just curious... the 08-09 still had the printed serial number and printed 'Made in Germany' on the sidewall. The 09-10 is the stamped serial number like the other skis from China and doesn't say where it was made anywhere on the ski? Are there any 09-10's with the ink 'Made in Germany' sidewalls?

Please advise, Squaretail, this is a bit confusing.

Thanks!
    All Mantras are made in Germany. Any rumors of Chinese Mantras are totally false.

Quote Originally Posted by squaretail View Post
    Any rumors of Chinese Mantras are totally false.
    Yes, but who started the rumors?? The Swiss???

I must say that after handling the Sidestash (would come out of the same factory as a Chinese Volkl because it's all K2) I was pretty impressed. I'm also not sure why they don't have like ~115m waist offering, but whatever. Only problem is they're still asking $800 for a Chinese ski and enjoying the profits. Nothing wrong with making a buck, or even making shit in China. I just don't wanna pay the same price as an American or Western European made ski. But we've been through that whole debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    Yes, but who started the rumors?? The Swiss???
    It's all part of the Great Chocolate-Coo Coo Clock-Pocket Knife Conspiracy. mwahahahahahahaha.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

seen buddy with his dynafit toepiece pulled out of a volkl up at the hill today ... which model has the white topsheet ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    seen buddy with his dynafit toepiece pulled out of a volkl up at the hill today ... which model has the white topsheet ?
    The one made in Alabama

good one!

White top sheet could be an earlier Gotama, maybe 06/07
    Not sure if those came out of China or not.
    Bindings come off of skis all the time, for reasons other then ski quality or defect.

I been hearing about bindings pulling out of volkl

This is what I was talking about...from what I have "heard" from people who have purchased the newer chinese made Volkls, they have had more problems and "appear" to be less durable than the older german made skis. I do not have any graphs or empirical evidence to support this, it is just what I have observed and been told by actual users of the skis, not some K2 press release about tolerances etc. What company would release data to the public detailing that their newer production facility produces poorer quality skis? If the chinese skis were just as good (or better according to the wise ACH) as the german skis then why do they not make the high performance world cup skis in china? Would it not make sense to produce skis for the discerning world cup racer in their best factory? I guess the pro racers and teams must all be nazi biggots eh Graham?

Never claimed to be wise.
    What I have suggested is that I am privy to information/have experience that you aren't/don't have.

Now you are saying that you can't support any of your statements with evidence.
    Or, that you have "heard" durability this or that...
    Bla, bla, bla, talk is cheap.
    Hearsay evidence is the weakest form of testimony.

It may be true that some skis are failing.
    On the other hand it may also be true that it has nothing to do with their country of origin.

All products fail, some more then others, it's a mater of percentages. The reasons they fail are rarely as simple as, they came from plant A or plant B. Some times it's process, other times it's materials, and yet other times it's design and specification and too little testing, or last but not least, use outside of the product designs intended scope.

Stand by your generalization if you like, but don't get butt hurt when others call you out on it.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 12-07-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Typo

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    My Volkl tennis racquet is made in China. I like it very much.

If the chinese skis were just as good (or better according to the wise ACH) as the german skis then why do they not make the high performance world cup skis in china? Would it not make sense to produce skis for the discerning world cup racer in their best factory?
    It will come, just a matter of time. Don't worry.