Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    And I had some great rice spaetzle with cat brats in China.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    Have you had good German food in shanghai?
    went to a hilarious Oktoberfest in China. Started with flat chested chinese hookers in dirndls, followed with shitty chinese knockoffs marzens, went down hill from there

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Earth >>>>>> Uranus.

Skis made in China are no less or more prone to defect due to manufacturing tolerance then they are made in Germany.

Ski design, specification, materials, layup, etc is specified by product managers and engineers. Specifications/bill of materials come from the same place and are administered to the manufacturing plants.

You may like the idea that a pair of skis came from one place better then another, however the fact is, it doesn't mater. The reality is however that it's a romantic notion based on perception.
    '08 Kantanas (made in china) literally disintegrated underfoot. Many many many delam problems. Did that happen to any of the German made skis?

Heard from some ski shops that this year's Mantras are made in China, but don't have verification (they were the only "freeride" ski in Volkl's line-up that had been made in Germany up til now, other than the defunkt Karma).

From what I was told a few years ago by a number of shops was that all of Volkl's race skis are made in Germany and a few select other models, as well.

They used to print "Made in Germany" near the boot center mark or on the sidewall or at the very least adorn the skis with a silver sticker stating thus.

To me what's funny is that Volkl is a German company making skis in China with names derived from Japanese words. Gotta wonder what the Chinese workers think about that and how come Volkl doesn't change their line-up to pay homage to the country where they are made (you know have a Chairman Mao or an I-Ching or Great Wall ski or something like that) or where they originate from (how come they don't name their skis after German iconography?)

FWIW, I just saw 2012 (which kinda sucked unless you really enjoy gratuitious CGI) and the Chinese basically saved the world (that and Africa is supposedly the place to be when the earth's core heats up and melts the polar ice caps).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

well, someone, who was really into volkl told me, that all skis (two years ago) were made in china. only engineering and some race-pairs for the wc-racers were made in germany (the print on the skis can say whatever they like. china (production) or germany (gain). it would make sense that, now, the freerideskis with this new k2-sidewalls are made in china.
    i was just curios.

for quality other reasons are more important, i know. it's just about the fact that they are eventually producing back in straubing/germany.

Anyone know if they have fixed all the delam/edge problems with the new sidewalls on the 09/10 models or too early to tell ?

Quote Originally Posted by asland View Post
    '08 Kantanas (made in china) literally disintegrated underfoot. Many many many delam problems. Did that happen to any of the German made skis?
    I heard that is because they didn't use epoxy in China at first... they used sweet and sour sauce to laminate the skis.

I guess they changed that now, though....
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by acpowman View Post
    Anyone know if they have fixed all the delam/edge problems with the new sidewalls on the 09/10 models or too early to tell ?
    they are using the same sidewalls as k2 does. so it should be ok now. the problems came from the stylestyleblingbling transparent sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    might be the samples that are made in germany?
    400,000 samples?
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1wsguy View Post
    400,000 samples?
    Think chinese take-out....'and then, and then, and then'......

Have you had good German food in shanghai?
    Actually, yes, yes I have. My German father lives in Shanghai and we went to the Paulaner Brew Pub last time I was there and it thoroughly kicked ass.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

The vast majority of our skis are made in Straubing. The current German factory was built in 1999 and has produced at least 400,000 pairs a year since then.

China represents a small percentage of our total production.

The Mantra has always been made in Germany, and it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    my friends 08/09 mantras are made in germany
    My friend bought the 08/09 Mantras and 08/09 Kuros this year. The Mantras are made in Germany and the Kuros are made in China.

I have heard:
    Metal = Made in Germany
    No Metal = Made in China.
    (for 09.10)

Katana in Germany then?
    I don't think so.

Squaretail, would you please comment.

zo Guest
    Most Volkl's are still made in Germany.

An easy way to tell where your Volkl was made is to look at the serial number. If the serial # is printed in black ink on the sidewall, it's made in Germany. If the # is like a dot matrix etch in the sidewall, it's from China.

All of my current Volkl's are made in China and I enjoy them very much and would never trade them for anything made in some random garage or converted food vending trailer...
    Last edited by zo; 12-03-2009 at 06:37 AM.

thanks for the infos. so the freeride skis without metal = china, freeride-metalskis = germany?

what about the cheap pistencarving-skis?

Quote Originally Posted by whorehey View Post
    Katana in Germany then?
    I don't think so.

Squaretail, would you please comment.
    thanks for the infos. so the freeride skis without metal = china, freeride-metalskis = germany?" not true.

I have a made in china sticker on my 2010 Katanas.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've loved every Volkl I've ever skied, and will tell anyone who listens, that they ski as well or better than any ski on the market, regardless of where they were made. Durability is another issue though. In the last two years I've broken 3 pairs of Katanas (including a pair of 2010's with the new sidewall) and 2 pairs of Gotamas, all made in China. My bridges, which I'm pretty sure were made in Germany, are holding up much better, although they don't get skied in abusive conditions nearly as much. In the same time span, I have also gone through 3 pairs of Jesters and a pair of Dukes. Volkl/Marker has stood behind all of their products, and replaced them with new ones for me every time. That being said, I was lucky enough to not have had to pay for any of the skis or bindings in the first place. The gravy train is over this year and I had to pay for a pair of skis for the first time in many years, and I bought a pair of Moments, designed, tested and manufactured in the USA.
    VICTORY!

I was a hudge Volkl fan for many years...Snow Rangers, G4's, and 2 sets of Exploders....only had a tip delam on one 190 buddah that I now have riveted for repair. Still use them today....but since the skis of theirs that I would normally purchase are now made in china, I will take my business elsewhere until they begin producing the freeride skis in Deutschland again. I have heard too many stories of the Chinese skis failing to risk it.....

So back to my original statement

Germany >>>> china

Quote Originally Posted by squaretail View Post

The Mantra has always been made in Germany, and it still is.
    Just curious... the 08-09 still had the printed serial number and printed 'Made in Germany' on the sidewall. The 09-10 is the stamped serial number like the other skis from China and doesn't say where it was made anywhere on the ski? Are there any 09-10's with the ink 'Made in Germany' sidewalls?

Please advise, Squaretail, this is a bit confusing.

Thanks!
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

zo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Poacher View Post
    Just curious... the 08-09 still had the printed serial number and printed 'Made in Germany' on the sidewall. The 09-10 is the stamped serial number like the other skis from China and doesn't say where it was made anywhere on the ski? Are there any 09-10's with the ink 'Made in Germany' sidewalls?

Please advise, Squaretail, this is a bit confusing.

Thanks!
    Strange. I've mounted about 30 pair of 2010 Mantras and each one of them had the printed serial numbers, German style.

Post up a pic of yours...

So back to my original statement

Germany >>>> china
    You're sounding like a fucking bigot, douchenozzle. Ever see inglorious basterds? Perhaps you need shit carved in your forehead with an edge from your precious german manufactured skis. AlpenChronicHabitual is 100% right, tolerances are better in China.

Instead, why don't you find a ski that's produced in the US or wherever you please? If you don't like something about the Volkls, nobody ever said you had to buy them.

Ummm... yeah. So, here's the thing. If it took Inglourious Basterds to get you all up in arms about the Narzis, there may be another issue. ("I mean, I knew them Narzis did some bad shit at all, but I just never cared until, y'know, Brad Pitt?")

And I know it's just a matter of semantics, but I think the rule is that a movie has to be out of theaters for at least six months before you ask whether someone has "ever" seen it.
    not counting days 2016-17

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Ummm... yeah. So, here's the thing. If it took Inglourious Basterds to get you all up in arms about the Narzis, there may be another issue. ("I mean, I knew them Narzis did some bad shit at all, but I just never cared until, y'know, Brad Pitt?")
    Dude. Brad Pitt lead the guys who killed Hitler.