Hey Wyoming anglers....need some suggestions!

Thinking about Jackson or surrounding area for our annual fly trip next fall. Sadly, I've never been to Jackson....need some suggestions on where to stay in the area that's central to rivers we'd want to hit over 3-4 days. We'll be guided, floating, etc..... Would greatly appreciate suggestions on which rivers we should hit and where to stay. Might entertain a streamside lodge/ranch if it's not outrageously expensive.

Fire away!!

BTW, snowflakes currently flying in Tahoe......

There are a lot of answers to those questions!

Guide services are everywhere around here. If you don't mind staying in ID and a ways from Jackson, talk with Neckdeep about 3 Rivers Ranch. They are an excellent lodge and guide service is quality also.

As far as the rivers to fish....that really depends on when you're here. I'd let whatever guide service you use pick the rivers and stretches you fish. It wouldn't hurt to bump this thread a few weeks before your arrival and ask us what's happening just so you have a general idea.

Most likely you will float a mix of the Snake, South Fork, Henry's Fork, the upper Green, and possibly the Teton river. There are some other rivers that you may end up on depending on the season and the permits the outfitter holds.

If your group is keen on base camp in JH, I would rent condos or simply stay around town if you want a bit of evening action. There are a bunch of outfitter camps to the north of us but I'd opt for the other side of the pass for river side lodges. If you should decide to stay in Jackson Hole feel free to pm me. I wil give you my take on guides on both sides of the pass.

TRR is outrageously expensive. Daytrips are $490 for 2 people and the lodge all-inclusive plus tips is getting up around $900/day double occupany. Yet it has a 90% return rate and it even saw a 5% increase in bookings during recent bad times, so we must be doing something right.

Fall is a good time to wade and the biting bugs are gone, so I'd recommend car camping and, after Labor day, there is plenty of lodging available if the weather goes wet and cold. Early and mid season, when the water is high, boats provide advantages but that importance declines by low water season. Some of the smaller alpine streams are unproductive late season but, generally speaking, there is more incredible and diverse trout fishing surrounding the Tetons than you could cover in a lifetime of fishing. If you want the full guided experience, however, I think 3rivers is as good as any and better than most in the region

Thanks guys. A little more info: we're planning on 2nd or 3rd week in September just due to juggling schedules. It's myself, my bro and my dad, who's got limited wading capability.... so ideally we'd be looking to float primarily. If we could stop and wade/work a few riffles along the way that would be perfect. Camping is out so we're looking to stay in condos or a lodge. Three Rivers looks sweet - need to do some more research and see if it is in the bugdet...

That sounds like a good reason to use guided, drift boat fishing. One thing though, drift boat angling is set up around pairs(cuz there's only room for two) so if your family has another person who wants to go, that would round out a foursome and spread out your costs. Three guests in a drift boat only works if one of the guests is a small child. Your costs will drop about 30% if you get inexpensive lodging with a kitchenette in Driggs and just hire out day trips. Condo lodging plus eating out in J-Hole may be almost as expensive as an all-inclusive streamside lodge in Idaho(unless Motel 6 and Hong Kong Buffet was the plan). Driggs has a variety of affordable lodging and is approximately in the center, about 30-45 miles from the Snake, HF and SF. The Teton, a destination river in itself, is just west of town. If two boats a day $1100-1200/day with tips, is too spendy, you and your brother can alternate between days in the boat with the old man and exploring the local hike-in fishing. That will cut your guide costs by $2200!.

2nd-3rd week of September usually has good hopper and ant action, good streamer action on cloudy days, and sporadic hatches of daytime mayflys(tricos, pmds, mahoganies) and evening caddis. The majority of hatches are done with by that time and its often a lull between warm weather PMDs and the cold weather BWOs. Afternoon winds can be pesky, at times.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-23-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Just saw this thread. Are you dead set on J-Hole? Just curious, because you could save some coin by going to Casper instead, or even Saratoga. In Casper, you could stay at a "regular" hotel and get guided on the North Platte (AWESOME guides in this area, btw). You won't have the scenery of Jackson, but you will get into some monster fish, most likely for less money spent on the trip as a whole. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with an awesome guide who works out of The Reef Fly Shop.

I am certainly not taking anything away from Jackson, just thought I'd suggest Casper if you were needing to save some money.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy