Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    There are flurries falling but it looks like the Tetons(Rockies, in general) mostly missed out. No real surprise. Next chance for substantial snow begins next tuesday and the current forecast is for split flow. The only improvement in the outlook is that a series of energetic short waves should hit the coast in rapid succession. The combined effect might push out the high pressure dominating the Rockies, however, models are showing the first system splitting and weakening when it moves inland. I'd hold those tix for another week cuz it's not going to get any worse and will probably get better.

Coverage is good given how poor it is elsewhere in the Rockies(J-holers are suffering the 3rd lowest snowpack since 1975) but the snow has done a refreeze or two and it is coral reef off-trail. You can have my share, I don't eat death cookies.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-16-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    There are flurries falling but it looks like the Tetons(Rockies, in general) mostly missed out. No real surprise. Next chance for substantial snow begins next tuesday and the current forecast is for split flow. The only improvement in the outlook is that a series of energetic short waves should hit the coast in rapid succession. The combined effect might push out the high pressure dominating the Rockies, however, models are showing the first system splitting and weakening when it moves inland. I'd hold those tix for another week cuz it's not going to get any worse and will probably get better.

Coverage is good given how poor it is elsewhere in the Rockies but the snow has done a refreeze or two and it is coral reef off-trail. You can have my share, I don't eat death cookies.

Thanks for the info ND. Kinda what I was thinking, but good to hear it firsthand. May just stick to the local bump this weekend and head up that way next week. Maybe we can make a few laps together when we roll that way. I'll PM you next week when it gets a bit closer......

who has the historical data link?

how does 1975 compare (not that I was skiing then) cuz damn thats a long time ago to be as sucky as this season.

Worst in 35 years? is it true?

Is that snowfall, base depth, or both?

-
    edit
    found some data here

http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

both JH and Alta are at 113" total 66% and 53% of normal, respectively.
    . . .

3rd worst for Jan 17 snowpack measured at the Rendevous plot 1975-2010.

That data is available on the BTNF avy site. The rank will probably change a bit as the week goes on as we could pick up a foot or so by friday. Looks like moisture is finally starting to work its way out of the Sierras and across the great basin without vaporizing the instant it touches Idaho. That is a good sign. The flow could shift to the NW by the end of the week and bring a real dump even. But, ya know the drill by now, its a Nino, dont get your hopes up until you actually see the snow.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-18-2010 at 09:37 PM.

3rd worst for Jan 17 snowpack measured at the Rendevous plot 1975-2010.

That data is available on the BTNF avy site.
    I was looking for that.
    year - r bowl - raymer - midmountain - base
    2010 - 47.0 - 41.0 - 34.0 - 17.0
    Averages: - 70 - 68- 65 - 29
    Num Years: -35 - 13 (Raymer started 1998) - 35 - 35

Lowest Year: 40.0 (1977) 41.0 (2010) 33.0 (1981) 14.0 (1981)

Wow - lowest Raymer plot snowbase ever, 2nd worst mid-mountain and 2nd worst base elevation snowbase.

That explains the 1975 reference I heard.
    Its not that 1975 was worse - the data only goes back to 1975.
    1981 was actually the next worst year so far.
    thx
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Condition report;
    The tacos at this great little joint on Alpine Lane called las Ascencias rocked my fuckin' socks off. It's my new fave joint.
    those tacos will be mine in 24 hours

muhahaha
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    those tacos will be mine in 24 hours

muhahaha
    Pretty fun day today. Finally looks like winter at my house. Plenty of good skiing to be had right now.

That being said, lots of whoomping and cracking in Columbia Bowl, be extra paranoid out there!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Great morning at Targhee, called it 6" but it was dumping all morning and was skiing knee deep in many places.

Anybody know what slid on Oliver? Avy report said D scale 4, full track slide. I'm hoping it was the diving board and cleaned out the all the pesky little trees at the bottom. That thing needs a good flushing out.

No tacos at the passholder party but plenty of powder out on the slopes.

let the fun begin.be safe
    Western Wyoming Avalanche Advisory
    Jackson Ranger District, POB 1689, Jackson WY 83001
    Issued: Sat January 23, 2010 5:22 PM

SITUATION:
    In the Tetons moderate to very heavy snowfall continued Saturday unabated into the evening. Snowfall totals for the past 24 hours to 5 P.M. at the upper elevations were near two feet. At mid elevations fifteen inches had fallen and over six inches at the lower elevations. Ridge top winds were southwesterly at 20 to 25 miles per hour with gusts in the forties. Temperatures at 9,500 feet remained in the low to mid teens through the period.

In the Togwotee pass area snow totals were around four inches with ridge top winds from the west-southwest at 15 miles per hour.

The Southwest Trails/Greys River area has seen ten inches of snow in the past twentyfour hours.

Storm totals from early Tuesday to 5 p.m. Saturday in the Tetons: Rendezvous Bowl (9,600 ft)= 49” snow with 3+ inches water; Raymer (9,400 ft)= 39” snow with 2.5+ inches water; Mid Mountain (8,200 ft)= 31” snow with 2+ inches water; Targhee Snotel= 15 inches snow. Southwest to westerly winds have moved the light density snow onto lee slopes near exposed ridges to create easily triggered slabs over five feet in depth.

FORECAST FOR Sunday January 24, 2010 :
    Heavy snowfall will taper off Saturday evening with overnight accumulations of another three to six inches. Lighter snow is forecasted for Sunday with one to three more inches. Ridge top winds will be northwesterly at thirty miles per hour and mountain temperatures will be in the mid teens with the lower elevations reaching the twenties.

The general avalanche hazard in the Tetons is expected to be HIGH Sunday. Continued snowfall will add to the existing, unsettled deep new snow. Natural or human triggered slabs or sloughs on most aspects have the potential to entrain huge amounts of snow and develop into large, dangerous avalanches that could travel full track. There also is an increasing load on deeper, unstable hard-slabs that could pull out the entire depth of the snowpack. Steep areas like road cuts and ravines should be avoided at all elevations. During HIGH hazard travel in or below avalanche terrain is not recommend

My car picked up 10 inches in 7 hours while it was at parked at the Ghee. Good thing too cuz I needed that kind of snowstorm to hide the horde of gaper retards. I think every powstarved person in east ID was up there today and for a 6 inch snowphone report! Every parking spot was filled before 11 am; I set a new personal worst for time spent standing in line on DC. But it was still a great day. If it hadn't been so fucking crowded it would have been truly epic.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-23-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Incredible snow today!
    started out with an early AM Pass lap, then hit the Village bell to bell. finished off with a few beers, good stuff- so nice to have winter in session!

still nuking, should be great again tomorrow

btw, heard from JHMR there were over 800 people that went up for the passholder party atop Bridger

too much pow + clif bar in pocket= no need to stop the pow laps for a free lunch today

been on the first tram last 5 days... life is all powdery again

be in line again early tomorrow.

anyone heading out to mavericks/25 the morrow or the next please note anything noteworthy...
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

iWyoming:
    ****WYO 22 Teton Pass: NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL**** Please be advised: The Bitter Creek rest area is CLOSED until further notice. Please be advised. Starting at 3 a.m. on Jan. 24th there will be avalanche control on Teton Pass. Delays may be possible.
    hope this goes well for travellers

Good day.....dang...... good..... day......
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

33 inches of super fluffy at mid mountain and only 8 in the driveway. That is the perfect dump folks!. Those Sierra and Cascade suckers can keep their megadumps of cement, this was worth the wait.

33 inches of super fluffy at mid mountain and only 8 in the driveway. That is the perfect dump folks!. Those Sierra and Cascade suckers can keep their megadumps of cement, this was worth the wait.
    So.. what does your crystal ball reckon for the 29th Jan till 13th Feb? I'm so stoked that the base has been increased this much after how it looked a week ago ! Wish I was there this week !

Snow totals look incredible for you guys today. Be safe and enjoy the 39 inches in 48 hours! Targhee with 33 should be unreal.

sorry to burst yer preconceived bubble but those of us in the sierra have been skiing cold continental pow for the last fewdays after the "cement" spackled all the lines full annnnnnnd we dont have to worry near as much bout being scared. so thanx, we'll be happy to keep our cement.

just funnin. stoked u folx are sharing in the groove.

You guys can all thank me, since my wife and I were planning on coming to jackson this week but hand to change plans and go jan 9-16 instead.

Still snowing on the pass! Pure madness Now wishing I was arriving out there today instead of next Sunday, but CANNOT complain.

Ski you at the motel six next week.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Still snowing on the pass! Pure madness Now wishing I was arriving out there today instead of next Sunday, but CANNOT complain.

Ski you at the motel six next week.
    Ugly.... I'm arriving on Friday night. PM me your digits... we should take some runs.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Ugly.... I'm arriving on Friday night. PM me your digits... we should take some runs.
    Great idea. PM sent.

Driving back to Jackson through the night from Red Mountain Friday into Saturday morning was the best move EVER! Nothing compares to Jackson pow days!!!!