Wolf Creek, CO conditions?

Just wondering if anyone made it up to Wolf Creek, co today for the fist 100% open day? If so how was the waterfall area, the site says early season conditions but ya never know how much exposed there is. thanks
    Its hard to get a table for one at chucky cheese when you look like I do.

Conditions suck right now. Lots of rocks, trees, and gapers all over. Not worth the drive. Stay home and watch another episode of Golden Girls.

Waterfall is sketch right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

We were up yesterday for the alberta opening. Knife ridge is closed and looks like crap. Waterfall all slid and is in very bad shape. Our crew from CB only did 1 run there (thats saying alot). The rest of alberta skied well with pretty good coverage. Just make sure you know what you're getting at Wolf Creek and it can be fun.
    Drive slow, homie.

Wow, glad I didn't make the trip down there. Wolf creek has a tendency to open things earlier than they should

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brosia View Post
    Wow, glad I didn't make the trip down there. Wolf creek has a tendency to open things earlier than they should
    Yeah, but they can really open the entire Alberta area without much base cause it's not steep or rocky. We skied powder every single run. Best "first lift-served day" ever for me.
    Drive slow, homie.

I thought it was great both Sunday and Monday. Deep snow, tagged a few rocks and deadfall but nothing serious. Lots of deep snow.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Wolf Creek CO conditions

It was -16 this morning and the creek is about to freeze over.... Good time to work on the house

Went there back on December 7-8th and it was epic all day! Knife ridge was open and everything went great

What's the latest at Wolf Creek. It looks like it is a down snow year?

I take a family trip there most years and will be there March 9-15 this year. Crossing my fingers for some powder days.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

I went down there during New Years this year and got lucky and was able to ski on a 24" powder day. It was extremely cold but have never experienced anything like it. I'm not quite sure how it is now though..

I will be there January 14-15. From what it looks like, conditions will be great and everything should stay open. Anyone have some beta for me? I know Waterfall, Knife Ridge, Alberta Peak, and Horseshoe Bowl are supposed to have good lines. I don't mind hiking a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUskibum86 View Post
    I will be there January 14-15. From what it looks like, conditions will be great and everything should stay open. Anyone have some beta for me? I know Waterfall, Knife Ridge, Alberta Peak, and Horseshoe Bowl are supposed to have good lines. I don't mind hiking a bit.
    yes. anything off the Alberta chair, with or without hiking. just get a good wax and keep the speed for the flats.

current conditions

Hey all - long time reader, first time poster.

A friend and I are currently in Summit County until Friday. We've got free lodging, but we're a bit bummed about the weather. We tried to make the best of it and had a pretty good time at Breck today. However, we're currently debating whether it would be worth it to go down to Wolf creek for a couple of days with a night in a hotel between them, or even a daytrip down there. With ticket prices around 100 here for a lift ticket, we figure that a single day with gas to and from, or two days with gas and lodging would be about the same as either a day or two of skiing. But is it worth the 3 and a half hours or so to drive? It looks like Wolf Creek has a huge base and great coverage, but it also hasn't snowed there in a week. Could it be just as icey as Summit county? Are the conditions worth driving for? We're especially interested in off-pistle, fairly advanced, steep terrain that's not going to destroy our equipment...

Thanks!

We are due out there next week as well, curious to see if we are going to be skiing or backpacking........ How bad is it Walnut? Is any of the hike to terrain holding any snow?

i don't know, but it has to be better than breck. the complete LOL part is that they still charge $108 a lift ticket or whatever.

Did Beaver Creek today - about the same as Breck. More open than Breck, and good groomers in the morning, but by the afternoon it was all ice. Anything ungroomed has rocks everywhere - especially any advanced terrain. Got a nice coreshot on my rock sticks in the moguls on a black, and plenty of scratches everywhere too.

Anyone on Wolf Creek conditions? We've got to decide soon.

Bummer. Due out there Saturday. Didn't buy trip insurance so going anyways. Going to be staying at Breck.
    At the moment what are the places worth driving to from there for better snow?

Is it worth bringing a touring rig?
    Last edited by Bird Blaster; 01-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.

More snow at Wolf Creek has value. The weather has been fair for a couple weeks with some melting and snow transformation, but I'll bet you'll find decent snow. The area has a northern aspect and is at elevation. In the trees the snow quality is still nice here in the western San Juans. I posted a couple pictures in this thread from yesterday and 50 miles NW of Wolf Creek (10 miles from Silverton). WC has almost twice as much snow.

This past week at Purgatory has been firm, but decent on the groomers and good chalky snow on the northern facing blacks. Spring like conditions on the eastern exposures.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR