Thread: Helmet Help

Helmet Help

Anyone have the k2 Rant helmet? Trying to decide between the Rant and the Varient brim. Unfortunatly both shops near me dont carrie either! Also thoughts on audio? Go with built in or flush earbuds? Had a old giro and the skullcandy connection seemed to always fall out. So not to sure about the new helmet built in audio functionality. THANKS!
    Its hard to get a table for one at chucky cheese when you look like I do.

as somebody who is presently shopping around for a new helmet i can only say this: get the one that fits properly. if you don't it will defeat the purpose of the helmet.

if you can't try 'em on, then i would wait until you can. or, at worst, buy a couple different sizes from an online retailer with a great return policy (i.e. buy the ones you think you want, try 'em on and then ship back the ones that don't fit).

helmets are an awful lot like boots: we can all make recommendations on what fits our head, but it might not fit your head. so you really need to try 'em on.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I HAVE THE RANT

basically, the rant is a poor man's hustle/maze

mine is from a couple years ago (I believe 2007) and has the old-style earpads which suck

k2's audio system is decent and works (i think the recent/new style uses an attached wire rather than a separate wire like skullcandy earpieces)

internal goggle strap channel is cool, but doesn't give that "locked-in" feeling of a normal helmet (and of course doesn't even come close to smith's pinch-to-fit thing)

mushroom head, but then again smiths aren't exactly low-profile either

(fwiw i now use a bern baker/watts)

OH

and beware of goggle fit because the brim profile on the Rant and Baker/Watts is very round (Crowbars and Phenoms will fit, Quiksilvers don't)

Smith helmets seem to have a pretty universal goggle fit
    holy fucking shitballs

So I decided to order both and send back the one that doesn't fit. Now I cant find a site that sells the stlye and size of both helmets. Soo anyone know the best sites for returns?

Also wondering about the bern helmets. Most eveything I found is the hard hat thats not rated for a single high impact. I know most falls dont qualify as this, but whats the point of this helmet if your wearing a helmet to prevent injury from that "one" time sh*t hits the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by NmTAOSskier View Post
    Also wondering about the bern helmets. Most eveything I found is the hard hat thats not rated for a single high impact. I know most falls dont qualify as this, but whats the point of this helmet if your wearing a helmet to prevent injury from that "one" time sh*t hits the fan?
    I was looking at these and wondering the same thing... My best guess is for the tall tees slowly lapping the park all day.

Quote Originally Posted by NmTAOSskier View Post
    So I decided to order both and send back the one that doesn't fit. Now I cant find a site that sells the stlye and size of both helmets. Soo anyone know the best sites for returns?

Yeah they used to be all hard hats, but now they have styles with EPS, just have to make sure whether it's EPS or the brock hard hat foam.
    If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

So ended up getting both from backcountry. ***** Rant fits waaayyyy small complaired to the smith. this was size Med 55-59 for both helmets. Smith hustle is awsome with the i/os and phenoms. Smith is by far best helmets right now...

Soo can anyone suggest a good set of headphones?? was lookin twords ear buds but kind of wondering if ill smash my brain out with a hard hit to the ear? any ideas