Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: f-stop packs

f-stop packs

Anyone has inside scoop on what is going on at fstop? I am looking to pick up Tilopa pack. Website says preorder2 for middle of November, tried calling their numbers but it goes to voicemail. Is that a real date more or less? Are they in stock anywhere?

Also a couple of questions about the Tilopa pack:

1. Does it compress well if only loaded with minimum gear?

2. What is the ski carrying system on it like?

Comments would be much appreciated.

vaporware....let us know if you have any luck getting a pack through them.

I just got a new satorie from them.

Pretty damn stoked on it.

It compresses well, given that it has a camera block in it.

You can carry skis, either cross or a-frame.

Gunder, do you have a contact for them better than through the site? I do not mind placing the order and waiting a couple of weeks. If that turns into a couple of months, I would not be too stoked.

Great packs. Waiting on a new 2nd gen Satori I hope to have soon to replace a gen 1 Satori that died due to zipper failure. These are bar none the best packs out there for carrying camera gear on skis. Kills me to be stuck using a POS Sequence in the interim. Contact via email and give em some time to reply. IMO it's worth the wait / hassle to get the pack.

Does anyone have experience with the 2nd gen Tilopia? It looks like a solid solid pack. And does anyone know if they still sell/make the smaller ICU? I'd love to be able to actually handle one of these things but it doesn't seem if there are many if any deals.

saaka! Guest
    Hi guys I work for F-Stop,

I have just moved back to the North Alps in Japan and am having a few issues getting my telephone/work line running smooth (when you call me, you'll still call the US). My apologies.

To answer your questions and more...

1. My email is ian at fstopgear.com
    2. Nov 15th is an expected date. We shipped the bags via boat a while back. It takes 6 weeks and they are due for mid Nov.
    3. There will be a few days of processing, shipping and receiving as its a big shipment.

4. If you ski, and take photographs your back will thank you for choosing F-Stop.
    5. If your tired of being a mule and watching your friends have all the fun, these packs will bring some shred back to your game.
    6. Once the bags get here the pre-order discount is over, so get in on it now.

Thanks

saaka! Guest
    Wren I dont quite understand your last sentence but we are sold out on the smaller ICU's. We will have the new smaller size in March.

Currently I have a smaller ICU proto that is designed to fit a pro body and 70-200L mounted, it also holds a 50mm, 16-35 and fish plus some wizards- snug.

We designed it for our new LOKA pack also due in March but also works well with the Tilopa/Satori.

The best part is, it's cut with a tapered based so when you slide your shovel in the pack it keeps a low profile.

the Loka will be ideal for side country, inbounds, short trip kinda days or for a guy who doesn't need to carry all the gear guys like Grant do.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Great packs. Waiting on a new 2nd gen Satori I hope to have soon to replace a gen 1 Satori that died due to zipper failure. These are bar none the best packs out there for carrying camera gear on skis. Kills me to be stuck using a POS Sequence in the interim. Contact via email and give em some time to reply. IMO it's worth the wait / hassle to get the pack.
    What are your gripes with the sequence?

You really like the satori that much better?

My zippers still work on my sequence pack. Neener neener.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Glad to see Ian was around to help you out.

I have the new Satori and Tilopia packs and can't say enough goods things about them.

The bags are comfortable and they ride well when loaded. Fast and easy to get to your camera gear with plenty of room for everything else.

Wren - The Tilopia is an excellent day pack to carry one body and a few lenses with lunch, skins shovel, probes etc. Go with the Satori if your doing anything over night as it has extra straps for a bag and tent.

Been out a couple times with each bag and will post up a review in a couple weeks but so far these 2nd gen packs are proving to be the pack of choice for outdoor photogs.

The only moment that matters
    ... Is the next one

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

The sequence is a horrible pack. Skis like shit, carries weight like shit and is built like shit.

The Satori is not just better, its in its own league.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    The sequence is a horrible pack. Skis like shit, carries weight like shit and is built like shit.

The Satori is not just better, its in its own league.
    I can believe there are other packs out there that might carry things better.

But built like shit?

I've used mine for years skiing and biking. What are you doing, breakdancing on campfires with it? Dakine makes good zippers and seams on EVERYTHING they make. This one isn't any different.

My biggest gripe is that my new video camera doesn't fit that well in it. And there's some wasted space in the main compartment above the padded bag.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

And there's some wasted space in the main compartment above the padded bag.
    wasted until you stuff your extra layer in there.

the sequence is all i've ever owned, but it does feel ungainly when fully loaded up. i'll definitely try out an f-stop pack (or something else) when my sequence dies, but that doesn't seem to be imminent, unfortunately.

The tilopia and smaller ICU sounds pretty slick. I'd like to be able to have some extra room in the pack. That smaller ICU will definitely fit everything I've got. Thanks guys!

How's a feller in a ski town environment get to find one of these things?

There's no way I'd buy a pack without seeing it in person first.

The sequence can't carry weight for shit. The lack of internal support combined with a useless waist belt mean everything rests on your shoulders. It also has no room for anything other than camera gear. To get avy gear in it you need to stuff it in places it really does not fit and forget about having extra layers or food once you have a full camera rig and avy gear on board. Same goes for being able to haul a tripod or carry skis in a usable manner.

The F-stop packs are built like a real backpacking pack. Waist belt takes the burden of the weight and as such it skis brilliantly. Avy gear easily finds a home and there's room for food, water, clothing and what not. You can actually carry skis or a full size tripod comfortably for long enough to actually get where you are going without issue. Aside from the zipper blow out I had the pack has been bomb proof and I don't expect to have the problem repeat. Having spent a full season skiing with both of these packs I can say without a doubt that the f-stop is in a league of it's own. It's not even close.

Trigger pulled on Tilopa (in cranberry to go with leftover turkey). Anyone around Boston or northern VT wants to check it out when it gets here, ping me.

But built like shit?

I've used mine for years skiing and biking. What are you doing, breakdancing on campfires with it? Dakine makes good zippers and seams on EVERYTHING they make. This one isn't any different.

bag.

Are you high? I dont think I have EVER heard Dakine and quality and good zippers in the same sentence before.

IF you really think that Dakine makes quality camera packs, then you have not really spent very much time using one.

Every Sequence I have owned has lasted me about 1/2 season.

My F-stop packs are going on 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    The sequence can't carry weight for shit. The lack of internal support combined with a useless waist belt mean everything rests on your shoulders. It also has no room for anything other than camera gear. To get avy gear in it you need to stuff it in places it really does not fit and forget about having extra layers or food once you have a full camera rig and avy gear on board. Same goes for being able to haul a tripod or carry skis in a usable manner.

The F-stop packs are built like a real backpacking pack. Waist belt takes the burden of the weight and as such it skis brilliantly. Avy gear easily finds a home and there's room for food, water, clothing and what not. You can actually carry skis or a full size tripod comfortably for long enough to actually get where you are going without issue. Aside from the zipper blow out I had the pack has been bomb proof and I don't expect to have the problem repeat. Having spent a full season skiing with both of these packs I can say without a doubt that the f-stop is in a league of it's own. It's not even close.
    Thanks for info. Much appreciated. Especially the part about carrying a tripod better. Because I always have a tripod for video.

Are you high? I dont think I have EVER heard Dakine and quality and good zippers in the same sentence before.

IF you really think that Dakine makes quality camera packs, then you have not really spent very much time using one.

Every Sequence I have owned has lasted me about 1/2 season.

My F-stop packs are going on 3 seasons.
    Yes einstein.

I'm high.

On the kind of acid that makes me hallucinate 10 years of dakine surfboard, snowboard and bike bags, backpacks and gloves. In fact I must be hallucinating the fact that not one of those pieces of equipment has ever broken on me too. I also must be hallucinating the miles and miles of bike riding and skiing I've done with my 4 year old sequence pack.

Just because you break shlt doesn't mean I have a problem with reality or that I don't use the stuff.

You know you're a jackass when Truth gives a more civil and informative response to the same question without getting pissy.

but, for $280 your reality could be more betterer.

they do look like nice packs though.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Can anyone comment or reasonably speculate how the f-stop bags or the Dakine Sequence would handle the Canon 300mm f/2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
    Can anyone comment or reasonably speculate how the f-stop bags or the Dakine Sequence would handle the Canon 300mm f/2.8?
    The dakine not at all if you plan on carrying more than just the 300. The F-stop will handle it and a full kit no problem.

The dakine not at all if you plan on carrying more than just the 300. The F-stop will handle it and a full kit no problem.
    Awesome, good to know. Thanks.

Are the camera compartments in the satori and talapia the same....just different 'other' cargo size between the two?