Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

you-wont-need-chairlifts

http://gizmodo.com/5396098/you-wont-...r-in-the-world

"I don't care that Ken Block's new Subaru-based Trax STI could be the fastest snow vehicle in the world. But if Brian manages to secure it for Snowmodo 2010, I'll be there with my red Zissou hat.

By "there" I mean that I would be driving snowboarders up and down Lake Tahoe's hills. And by "driving snowboarders up and down" I mean racing up to the mountain top and back to the mountain base. And with "mountain base" I really mean bar.

I guess I won't be driving the Trax—with its 400hp engine, cat tracks, and four-snowboarder sleigh—a lot, after all."

That's pretty cool, but how would you like to dig that fucker out!

Dear Subaru,
    As a long time Subaru owner I was very excited to learn of the new Ken Block Subaru snow cat/car. However, upon seeing your relationship with Monster Energy Drinks I can no longer support your company or products. Should you divest from the evil Coca empire, I will reconsider.
    Sincerely,
    Powdork

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Dear Subaru,
    As a long time Subaru owner I was very excited to learn of the new Ken Block Subaru snow cat/car. However, upon seeing your relationship with Monster Energy Drinks I can no longer support your company or products. Should you divest from the evil Coca empire, I will reconsider.
    Sincerely,
    Powdork
    Nah, for that I'd sacrifice my morals.

nice concept, waste of money

i really suck at driving.
    1 WIDE Ski
    'and don't worry its clean, because I never get laid anyways.' - leroy jenkins

riches = bitches

this is the real deal- Vadez, AK

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nah, for that I'd sacrifice my morals.
    you can put tracks like that on any 4wd.

holy fucking shitballs

On the topic of Ken Block and Subaru awesomness, if you haven't seen this check it out. Go to YouTube to watch in HD.

"fastest snow vehicle"?
    There was nothing fast about that video....put the tracks on most diesel trucks, and that little Subaru POS would get smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    "fastest snow vehicle"?
    There was nothing fast about that video....put the tracks on most diesel trucks, and that little Subaru POS would get smoked.
    i agree it wasn't that fast, but that thing would not get smoked by most diesel trucks. and this is a fucking stupid arguement.

i think it would be fun to drive for a little while. then the novelty would probably wear off.
    1 WIDE Ski
    'and don't worry its clean, because I never get laid anyways.' - leroy jenkins

"fastest snow vehicle"?
    dunno about that. Something I've learned from owning a Yamaha sled is that the less weight you have on a snow machine the better. I love my f250 powerstroke but I think I'd take the subie for something like this.

Subaru doesn't have the torque to spin 4 tracks =slow

I think that the fastest snow vehicle is likely to be an open class (1000cc or above) mod sled with nitrous and a super charger. The power to weight ratios aren't even close. And, one has to wonder if those "tracks" were engineered to take that much speed over and extended period of time. It would be interesting to see them grenade.

Subaru doesn't have the torque to spin 4 tracks =slow
    at just under 300 ft/lb stock (which I doubt this thing is) it should do just fine. I wouldn't be surprised it they changed the gearing on it for a little more bottom end pull.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    at just under 300 ft/lb stock (which I doubt this thing is) it should do just fine. I wouldn't be surprised it they changed the gearing on it for a little more bottom end pull.
    I think the weight would be the only advantage.......and I'm pretty sure 400hp isn't stock. I've seen tuned Ford Diesels get 1300hp with 2500+ ft/lb torque which doesn't even make it close.........plus the truck smokes really bad to piss off the hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergaper View Post
    If its the same car shown in his gymkana videos (with tracks), its tuned by Crawford Performance, 566whp/ 611torque. Hardly a slouch.
    it's not.

Prepared by Vermont SportsCar, performance modifications include 400-hp and features Group N competition rally dampers made by EXE-TC and a KAPS 5-speed close-ratio dog-engagement gearbox. Under the hood sits a 2.5 liter, 4-cylinder, turbocharged and intercooled STI engine tuned with a MOTEC M800 ECU.
    http://business.transworld.net/press...uces-trax-sti/

jgb@etree Guest
    Didn't Yamaha sell a sled a few years back with an R1 motor in it (maybe they still do)? Bet that fucker would smoke a cat tracked diesel subaru sti that was built in antartica.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    I think that the fastest snow vehicle is likely to be an open class (1000cc or above) mod sled with nitrous and a super charger. The power to weight ratios aren't even close. And, one has to wonder if those "tracks" were engineered to take that much speed over and extended period of time. It would be interesting to see them grenade.
    yeah, what he said
    Last edited by jgb@etree; 11-03-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    i agree it wasn't that fast, but that thing would not get smoked by most diesel trucks. and this is a fucking stupid arguement.
    Um, no. You're not turning wheels, you're turning tracks and that takes assloads of torque. Something a 4 banger is not too hot on, even if it's an STI 2.5 turbo. Now stuff those same tracks on a propane-injected powerstroke diesel and watch that bitch throw some snow! Mix in the longer wheelbase for steeper ascents and an 8' bed for hauling gear... WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Id rather have this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExBgdaTTDU&feature=fvw"]YouTube - H1 on Mattracks in the snow[/ame]
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

bmg ftw.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

A sled ftw, it looks cool but thats about it. Those tracks would probably grenade quickly.

I think the weight would be the only advantage.......and I'm pretty sure 400hp isn't stock. I've seen tuned Ford Diesels get 1300hp with 2500+ ft/lb torque which doesn't even make it close.........plus the truck smokes really bad to piss off the hippies.
    Hahaha, now you're just being silly. What motor? Let's see the dyno chart. I'd believe you if it was a 2-pumper Cummins with huge fucking injectors and some stupid tuning, but not a Powerstroke.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

you mean something like this blurred

Random pic pulled of the internet btw