Thread: How to reuse plugged binding holes?

How to reuse plugged binding holes?

I might want to reuse some plugged binding holes (looks like wood glue and plastic plugs). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unplug the holes and use the orginal threads without resorting to helicoils or the like?

My only guess would be to use a drill press to make sure you go in straight.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Just drill out the old holes; the plugs will spin right out easily. Don't worry about using a drill press. I've always freehanded them and never had a problem.

Use wood glue for your remount, which you should always do anyway. If the holes are sloppy, use epoxy + fiberglass shreds (house insulation works well - stuff little bits of it into the holes with a toothpick).

Drill them out with a 4.1X9. Works perfectly.

I've hand drilled them with a really small bit and then just screwed into the plastic, makes it like a new hole with the additional material in there. That plastic is really soft anyhow, I think once I just screwed right into the plug without drilling, wont recommend that though.

^Yup. I've just gone in there with a real small bit, like half the diameter of the hole. The whole plug usually pops right out and if it doesn't that extra bit of soft plastic won't hurt things at all.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

How are the skis, Harpo?

What skis are these?
    Inquiring minds want to know

What we have always done in our shop is to clear the plastic out of the holes then epoxy wood plugs, then after setting we re-drill the holes.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is a train." Justin Trosper

Quote Originally Posted by TCK View Post
    Drill them out with a 4.1X9. Works perfectly.
    Don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    ^Yup. I've just gone in there with a real small bit, like half the diameter of the hole. The whole plug usually pops right out and if it doesn't that extra bit of soft plastic won't hurt things at all.
    Do this.

If your ski doesn't have metal in it, you wouldn't use a 4.1 in the first place so why would to drill out old holes?

Start with a small bit like bossass says or even a 3.6. The plastic will come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I use my 3.5 X 7.5 bit used for kids skis, and then pick out the plug bits if they don't come out with the bit. As long as you don't cut up the previous theads you should be clear.
    Driving to Targhee

Bumping this, I tried using the small bit and none of the plugs came out, I just drilled a hole right down the center and nothing happened...any tips? I tried threading a screw in and pulling but that didn't work either

Should I just drill in with a full size bit (skis are metal) and be done with it or try to get the plugs out some other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Just did a remount reusing plastic plugged holes on an all-wood ski. All the plugs came out easy. Here's the drill. Drill 1/16 hole in center of the plug. Had some #6 drywall screws laying around. Real pointy and skinny with aggressive threads. Thread screw in a turn or two. Not too deep so as to not bind up the plug in the hole. Lay a 1" board on ski next to hole and use a claw hammer resting on the board to pull slowly. Try to go straight up. If the screw pops out without the plug, put it in a little deeper. Titebond III on the new binding screws.

How to reuse plugged binding holes?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Just did a remount reusing plastic plugged holes on an all-wood ski. All the plugs came out easy. Here's the drill. Drill 1/16 hole in center of the plug. Had some #6 drywall screws laying around. Real pointy and skinny with aggressive threads. Thread screw in a turn or two. Not too deep so as to not bind up the plug in the hole. Lay a 1" board on ski next to hole and use a claw hammer resting on the board to pull slowly. Try to go straight up. If the screw pops out without the plug, put it in a little deeper. Titebond III on the new binding screws.
    Resurrecting old thread only because I never really considered reusing plugged holes. Tried wooley's method tonight on some ON3P Jeronimos. Was surprised how well it worked. Installed screws back in with just wood glue, white knuckle tight. Don't think I'd want to do only glue in a ski that doesn't have metal or a really good core binding mat like ON3P and Praxis though.

I found using a larger bit by hand to start the hole helped me like up the 1/16 drill bit (in a drill press) easier. Drilled about 3/4 the length of the hole, screwed in the drywall screw about the same.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 03-24-2017 at 02:57 AM.

I've drilled out plastic plugs with a 4.1 drill bit and remounted with epoxy without tapping. Done it 4-5 times and never ripped one out or spun a screw.

You can also throw will in if you are worried.

last time I pulled out plastic plugs that were covered with blue threadlocker using a thin 2.5 self-tapping screw and pliers. Just put the screw in the soft plastic applying force on the screwdriver and once it is half-in pull out with pliers