Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

09/10 Southern BC Interior conditions/Stoke thread

By request and with all of this weeks snow...

Was up at Mt. Mcrae on the 24th and it was most excellent. There was 20cm's at 1750m and about 40cm's to 60ish at 2200m. Snow quality was great with fast snow on the glacier and nice pow with a supportive crust down at tree line. Crevasses are filling in pretty quick as well. Skied all the way back to the truck, 2400m to 1800m, not bad for the 2nd day out.

Silver Star has about 40cm's in the past 24hours and still dumping...

Some shots from Mcrae.

Broken naxo heel peice on the way up, put it back together then cinched it down with webbing, camera straps, and a shoelace. Worked fine all day.

Staying fueled

Snow level is around 1000m today in the okanagan.

10+ points for successful McGayveration!

Nice work on the naxo , reminds me to toss an extra strap in , heading up Mcrae tomorrow if anyone wants to join , it's been dumping in town all day , reports say the top of the ski hill got 20 inches today . Should be decent
    Just airing out the Tent

Thumbs up

Excellent! Much better to have the stoke away from the douchebaggery of that other thread.

Really coming down on the SS and BW web cams.

So is that it for your Naxo? Or are there still spare parts at some ski shops?

I hope you have some chains....

There was another party whose truck wouldn't start, hopefully they got it out on Sunday before the snow started again.

I think the naxo's feelings got hurt when they saw the dukes sitting in a box in the garage, they wanted to kill me. Better on the up then the down I guess. That's it for them for sure. Too bad, I wanted to have a early season spare set of touring gear.

Over 40cm's from this storm at silver star so far, 63cm at Sunpeaks this week.

Holy shit! For the first time in recorded history Sun Peaks has the most snow in North America.

I supposed the odds of them opening early are pretty much nonexistent?

Looks like the pass is getting snow...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Holy shit! For the first time in recorded history Sun Peaks has the most snow in North America.

I supposed the odds of them opening early are pretty much nonexistent?
    The have so much snowmaking equipment I'm pretty sure they could open in july (if it was below zero)
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

hey road trip to Sun Peaks! Actually the runs are so flat its hard to get excited

Anyone here in the Nelson area? Im new to town and need a couple touring partners.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

hey road trip to Sun Peaks! Actually the runs are so flat its hard to get excited
    If it snows heavily all the way down down to the Burfield base I tend to get excited. Those particular runs under the long slow chair are great!
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Nice shots hefe...the truck got out fine.

With this new snow so low, and so much up high, it'll be interesting to see how far up you can get...
    Mike350 let us know where you get to...

Got busted trying to skin up today, patrol would have none of it.

Ya heading out around 11 today ,put the chains in the truck last night ,will report back tonight on how far up i get
    Just airing out the Tent

Awesome pics to start this thread. Early season turns always have more stoke to 'em.
    "Girl, let us freak."

ahhhh... "Nice shots hefe...the truck got out fine." what was wrong with it? Glad to hear man.

One of those shots is of one of the Jeffs/Geoff's...

I think you might need a sled or a crazy truck to get up Mcrae now, Silver Star is reporting 52cm's at 1900m, if revy got anything close to that then you will need a sled.

Burf side

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    If it snows heavily all the way down down to the Burfield base I tend to get excited. Those particular runs under the long slow chair are great!
    yes they are...roller coaster, back door, expo...in the "old days" when it was still tod mtn...it was a 42 minute ride on a double chair...they used to hand out wool blankets on the cold days!
    "Dad, I can huck that"

Bring on the Snow. McGillivray side? we got politely told not to do that once. Preserving all that fine alpine i suppose.

and yah - It'll always be Death Mountain to me.

come out here. We got LOTS of snow down low here

"come out here. We got LOTS of snow down low here " where? Crystal mtn....? haha, silver star might be worth it this weekend, they do a really good job of summer grooming and there are hardly any rocks.

Thinking about the Gorge as well, it looked like there was a ton of snow up there when I drove by last Saturday. With yesterdays dump I think it would be skiable and driveable up to the parking area.

How rocky are the slopes at Big White? Because this looks sort of skiable.

The majority of BW has a lot of sharks on it, that looks like a safe lower section. Silver Star just accessed the summit snowplot and it is reading 70 cm's up top. Will get some easy access pow this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    "come out here. We got LOTS of snow down low here " where? Crystal mtn....? haha, silver star might be worth it this weekend, they do a really good job of summer grooming and there are hardly any rocks.

Thinking about the Gorge as well, it looked like there was a ton of snow up there when I drove by last Saturday. With yesterdays dump I think it would be skiable and driveable up to the parking area.
    I tourd big white lasy friday and there was some good snow on the blackforest side of the hill. I have never been up silver start befor. I would like to get up there befor it opens.

Up to the Balu Pass area for some LAB turns with Downhill Rider. Not recommended, needs more snow.

HS 30-50, mainly soft windslab on anything exposed. Saw debris from one wind pocket in the STS runout. Also saw bear tracks near the Frequent Flyer slide path.

On the plus side of things, I did get to try my new camera in action. Thanks again Eldo!

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.