Thinking of getting into something more rockered little more advice please

So as the title says im thinking of buying something more rockered, after a few days worth of searching and reading up every thing i could on here i have pretty much decided that if i do buy anything with more rocker its narrowed between 189 hellbents or toon's, or 192 salomon rocker.
    anyways...
    i curently have a pair of 196 lhasa's and this is what is keeping me from buying any of these because im not sure that its worth buying another ski since they are somewhat closely dimensioned. so i guess my big question is, is there really all that much difference between these as for the deeper days?

kind of a what would you do question.

any feedback is very appreciated
    yes its true you are a good woman, then again you may be the antichrist
    08/09-- i quit counting

A.

I seriously think that you'll get much more performance from Helbents or Rockers than you prenrestly do with Lhasas.

I mean the terrain where I skied with you wasn't that tight, so bigger TROs should work just fine in that. If you do however ski in terrain that is much tighter, well then I would be looking something with full rocker and reverse sidecut (pRaxis Pows or Toons).

But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

If you've got a Lhasa and you want another pow ski then go for a full on tool like praxis pow, pontoons, Lotus 138's.
    192 DPS Lotus 138's + Marker Griffon
    189 K2 Seth + Salmon Z12
    178 DPS Lotus 120's + Dynafit Vertical FT Z12
    177 Volkl Mantra + Marker Duke
    177 Volkl Wall + Marker Griffon
    172 Dynastar Contact 9 + Look PX12 Fluid

Take a look at ON3P Caylors. Looks like an improvement on the Hellbent,at least for bigger dudes(never skied the Hellbent, but seems mighty noodly). The Caylor is stiffer and probably lighter with the carbon. I really wanted to buy a pair, but need boots worse.

If you alrady have lhasas, i'd look into something with a little more stiffness than a hellbent. Pontoons or rockers are good choices. There is also a 195 kuro this year. If you're looking for a full reverse/reverse praxis pows are always a sick choice.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

I like my hellbents but I wish they had a little less rocker in the tail. When you get kicked in the back they take a lot more effort to recover.

Surface Live Life 2. Sharp rocker front and back, zero camber (flat) underfoot, straight sidecut. You can bounce around on it in powder and slash features while still retaining edge control (unlike reverse/reverse).
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I've never been on hellbents or 'toons, but I own both Rockers and 196 Llasas. Clearly I think that there is a point in having both. (I have skied with a lot of people who were on hellbents, Pontoons and will offer an opinion on them, but don't put much weight on it).

First of all I think that all four of the skis you mention fall into their own catagories and I could actually imagine someone owning something from each of these categories:

-Lhasa: Good one ski quiver for those who mostly ski soft snow or want a big touring ski. Particularly good in lighter, or at least constistent, soft snow and quite good on firm snow. (Others in this category, lotus 120's, S7).

-Hellbents: Backcountry and pow-day jib ski. Good choice for those who want to be able to ski/land switch in soft snow. (Not being a jibber, I don't know this category that well, but there are certainly comparables out there).

-Pontoons: R/R pure powder ski. Better at slarving/buttering than anything with more traditional shape elements. Exceptional quick turn ability on soft snow and very good in tight spaces. Primary negative is poor firm snow performance. Due to asymetric shape, not as good for skiing switch as something like a hellbent. Although some might argue with my categorization, I'd put Donner Partys, 138's, praxis pows, spatulas in this category.

-Rockers: Big mountain charger. Comparable size and float to the R/R skis, with big flat tail offers better control on firm snow and less danger of wheelie's landing straight. Wider, stiffer, heavier and less sidecut than the 'one ski quiver' category skis. Typically the best performing ski for high speeds in variable snow. I'd put Megawatts, Big Dumps, Moment Comis etc. in this category.

I don't use the Rockers much at ski areas, and even though I have them mounted with Dukes, they don't go touring much either (weight!). They are my go to ski for AK or Las Lenas though, particularly when confronted with manky (wind, sun, slide effected) variable snow.
    Last edited by wcf3; 10-26-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

No offense, and not a dig on anyone in this thread, but I think you guys split hairs over gear way too fucking much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    No offense, and not a dig on anyone in this thread, but I think you guys split hairs over gear way too fucking much.
    I sometimes think that I (and many others) overthink gear too much. But then, when you're waiting for snow it passes the time. And I'm injured, so this is my only outlet right now.

What are you skiing on this season Blurred?

wcf3,

You called the Pontoon a "R/R," but it doesn't have reverse sidecut. It's a bigass pintail. Not that I'd quibble with the skis you compared it to, just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post

What are you skiing on this season Blurred?
    This beautiful bad boy in a 195

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    wcf3,

You called the Pontoon a "R/R," but it doesn't have reverse sidecut. It's a bigass pintail. Not that I'd quibble with the skis you compared it to, just saying.
    I figured somebody would call me on this, and before somebody else brings it up, 138's have straight edges for some of their length...

In that list only the spats and praxis pow's are "truely R/R".
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

I skied the pontoons and my ON3P wrenegades side by side snowcat skiing last year.

The pontoons were fun, good in powder, they felt a little bouncy somehow, not as powerful as my wrenegades. IN the little gullys and stuff they were of course not to great.

My wrenegades floated just as well as the pontoons, but also kill it in chop, corn etc.

So I am not a huge fan of the pontoons, would not recommend them.

CHeck out the caylors or maybe some of those fat moments. Personally I would love to check out the 192 comi's http://www.momentskis.com/skis/comi.php

Dukes or alpine bindings?

That ski seems to fit your style.

BTW, basinbum... Praxis Protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Excellent choice can't wait to break mine out.

Oh yeah, you should get Salomon Rockers, some guy is selling a pair on gear swap for 650 dollars. He seems real cool and very knowledgeable. You should buy them

no but seriously....I think it would be fun for you to add a super floppy jib ski to your line up for messing around with. caylor or hellbent....pontoon more of a directional ski, similar to your lhasas (not the same, or close to the same, but in the same vein)
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I agree about getting a jibbier, more fun ski. At the speeds ideal to ski your 196 Lhasas, you should have no problem planing in any depth of snow. I would pair those with a less directional, more playful ski like Hellbents et. al. You could use your Lhasas on clear days when you're able to let it rip and then go to your fatter, jibbier skis on storm days and when skiing trees. I would exclude skis like the Rocker as they are basically a fatter Lhasa.
    Last edited by D(C); 10-27-2009 at 12:10 AM.

You Cannot Buy Style

I have never skied with you but there comes a point where I gotta ask. Is another ski going to give you something your looking for?

Or do you need to improve on some basic sking skills?

The 196 Lhasa is allot of ski but SO FRICKIN EASY to ski soft snow.

If you are a competent Powder skier using old school skis then a Lhasa or any other ski like it is going to make the same Snow seem effortless and give you room play around more.

If you struggled in Pow and Chop and whatever. And you bought Lhasa to make that snow and terrain fun? Well maybe, but if you are still looking to buy gear to make whatever conditions fun,
    Dude it does not matter what you have strapped to your feet, Its still gonna suck untill you learn how to do it right

Sorry but that the way it is.

^^^ Dude, not quite sure what your point is. The Lhasa is a great all-around ski sure, but is not the answer for every condition all the time. Most people on this board have quite a few skis that might overlap a little. I have spent enough time on the Lhasa to know it is a great skiing ski, very fun and playful and like to do it all, but that being said I gotta say, I think my Bluehouse Shoots slay these boards. Sure, they are not as playful and are like strapping Sherman tanks to your feet,but a ripping ski none the less. Does that mean I don't want to ski the Lhasa anymore? Fuck no. I love those boards for different reasons. The same reason most people on this forum have a quiver.
    Last edited by tuco; 10-27-2009 at 09:07 AM.

I can only offer advice on the Sally Rockers. They are extremely fast, have no top speed and crave big turns, but they aren't crazy stiff. You can still make slash turns on them and ditch speed pretty easy. They are like having a sofa to land on when making drops. Downside is they are heavy, really heavy and pretty weird on hardpack. The tips come right off the snow, so you have to finish your turns with the tail only. I would get a pair if I had a sled. Have you looked at the Atomic Atlas at all? Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I have never skied with you but there comes a point where I gotta ask. Is another ski going to give you something your looking for?
    Or do you need to improve on some basic sking skills?
    May have missed something, but OP stated he wanted to try something with more rocker, period. Nothing about struggles with chop or skill set.
    I own the 186 Lhasa, and I can see his point; it doesn't actually have that much rocker, and isn't that radical, especially in back. Skis more like a traditional fat than I expected. (Obviously good thing if you're looking for an all-around.)

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    The Lhasa is a great all-around ski sure, but is not the answer for every condition all the time. Most people on this board have quite a few skis that might overlap a little.
    Exactly.

Also isn't PM is coming out with their version of a Spat? And you can get a Lotus 138 with 3.1 rocker right now. Both might be worth looking into.

Maybe I can help. I own both the 186 Lhasa and the 179 Hellbent. They are both freakin amazingly fun skis. I love them both and I cant ever see myself parting with either. The Lhasa has been my go to for touring and I ski it more than any other ski I have. If it's nuking though I just look at the Hellbents in the morning and cant leave them behind. They are big and fat and yes they are soft in the tip and tail but they are supposed to be. This is part of what meakes them so flayful in the woods. They are also much stiffer underfoot then people think.
    This opinion is definately influenced by where I ski:Jay Peak. If I were on bigger mountains I would probably look for a Lhasa-esqu board to just go as fast as I freakin could. But seeing I am in the trees all day, hitting little rocks and drifts and getting spinny and flippy...okay not that flippy.... they are the perfect ski for me on a dump day when I want to fondle the fuck out of the hill. Getting back to the lifts isnt a problem with all that rocker either, just point 'em and the big tip rocker glides over chopped and broken snow like the spruce goose over a 2 foot chop. Srsly though get the hellbents AND a true R/R. You need them both, we all do which is why my next prchase will be the 191 SPLAT.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

FYI the rockers are an amazing ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I also have 196 Lhasas, love them, but would very much like to try out some lotus 138s, 202 rocker 3 ideally. I'd also like to try some EP pros, although I realistically may be too heavy for them. I think if I got on caylors the lhasas would stay in the closet as long as it had snowed in the last day.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop