Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If a kook ruins your board?

I know this belongs in the Surf forum, but Punani and Tuffy are the only people checking that shit. Some barney at Sewer peak today pulled one of the biggest kook moves I've ever seen and ran me straight over on takeoff. As I popped up and untangled myself from the mess I notice a huge gash in my brand new Santa Cruz epoxy board. A gaping crack about 8 inches long right above my kick pad. All in all the board is pretty fucked. It immediately started taking on water. The crack can be sealed but the board will never be the same. There is water in the core and now there is a huge weak spot where after a couple airs or some big floaters the thing will probably buckle.

The dude who ran me over was super apologetic, gave me his number and offered money for a repair. He completely acknowledges that it was 100% his fault. I've had the board for 8 days and it'll never be the same. What I'm asking is, do I make him buy me a new board ($290) or just take a hit and just get him to pay for a repair. I don't wanna be a dick, but I also want a good board that's not gonna break in a couple months. I threw out the idea to him that maybe I'll give him my now damaged board if he buys me a new board. He'd be getting a deal anyways as most epoxy board go for around $500+. WWMD?

Just beat him down.

Or if he'll do the deal with buying you a new board and taking yours, do that.

what i would do would depend on his tranny status.

if he's a tranny. next time you see him just punch him in the face and just take his ride while he flails around in the sand bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Just beat him down.
    Actually he's very lucky he ran over me and not one of the meathead lokes. He would have definitely gotten his ass beaten if it was one of them.

Give him your board, ask him to buy you a new board, then take him out and teach him how to surf. You could change his life.
    When you're feeling down, just remember: It's always darkest before it goes pitch .... fucking.... black.

I'd say him buying you a new board/you giving him the damaged one is warranted.

Backing it up with an "I showed it to XXXXX repair guy and he said it's fixable but will never be the same, etc..." might help.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

You ruined your own board?

What would you do if you ran over someone (on accident) and they were crying about it like you are?

WWMD?

It would be great if he bought you a new board, but that's above and beyond what I'd expect from a stranger. There's no harm in asking, all he can say is 'no' and he'll hopefully repair your board instead.

Steppin up is hard to do for some.

[QUOTE=bcrider]You ruined your own board?

What would you do if you ran over someone (on accident) and they were crying about it like you are?

QUOTE]

there is something called surfing etiquette and dropping in on someone is a big faux pas. surfing is a differnent beast than skiing, but maybe you already know that....

I liked ONS advice best. Do that!

And my condolences...it really does suck having new gear you are stoked about ruined in an instant.

On the upside...just be glad it wasn't that huge whale that lifted up that other dude, or you'd have to take your recompense in blubber.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Ditto Owen and AltaGirl's advice.

He apologized, realized his error, buys you a new board and you give him yours. Seems to end on a positive note for both of you. Could be the start of a friendship, could be the last time you cross paths. Anyway, you get a new board.

ps. At first, I thought this post was some bitching about the recent TGR "board" upgrade. How Owen changed colors, hid some menu options, or other such minor gripes.

litt
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

you shoulda kicked his ass and fuked his sister like any SC local would have done

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    . There is water in the core and now there is a huge weak spot where after a couple airs or some big floaters the thing will probably buckle.
    Well since your asking
    I would prolly just make him just pay for the repairs, and try like hell to catch huge sick air, lip slap that bitch into a sick floater on a huge 'Stemers' A-frame, and see if I could compromise the epoxy / structure like you think you might. if you do you are the mang.

good luck
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 09-30-2004 at 01:11 PM.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I once read a story about a guy who was forced to buy a dead mule, he was humiliated by his purchase. Still, if you can get this kook to feel good about buying a broken, but “fixable” surfboard you’ll both be happy.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

As suggested above, tell him your diagnosis for the busted board, tell that him you hate to put him in the situation, but you'd like him to get you a new board and he can have/fix your busted one.

He may neg you, but it's worth a shot.

After all, it's only a relatively-cheap epoxy board...

Thanks DBdude.

I grew up surfing about 3hrs south of Santa Cruz. I know about etiquette and I know about localism. I also know that accidents happen and my point to Alka was…what would HE do if HE were in the other person’s shoes. Would he just offer to repair the damage or buy the board for what the person paid for it?

I guess I just didn’t like the tone of assuming the other guy was a kook. Who is to say that Alka wasn’t the kook for not getting out of the way sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrider
    Thanks DBdude.

I grew up surfing about 3hrs south of Santa Cruz. I know about etiquette and I know about localism. I also know that accidents happen and my point to Alka was…what would HE do if HE were in the other person’s shoes. Would he just offer to repair the damage or buy the board for what the person paid for it?

I guess I just didn’t like the tone of assuming the other guy was a kook. Who is to say that Alka wasn’t the kook for not getting out of the way sooner?
    The guy told me straight up that he made a "total kook move and felt like a dumbass." Plus two of my buddies out there and a buddy onshore watching said that the guy turned right into me from a good distance out. My friend onshore said he thought the guy did it on purpose at first, cause it was such a blatant run over.

The only time I've run over someone was when I was 11 years old longboarding at the Point. My dad was watching and gave the guy 40 bucks for a repair. And I ain't a kook by any means, I've been surfing for 11 years and have lived at Pleasure point my whole life.

Yer still not answering the question mang!?!

What would YOU do if you were in his shoes?

Ps. Do you move to the mountains for the winter? If so, do you consider yourself a tranny?

Pss. I’m just messin with you dude, I guess I’m jealous I can’t surf every day like I used to.

Give him your board, stop being such a pussy, sell the rest of your shit, buy us some jet skis and waterskis, and let's go ski Mavericks.

how did he run you over on takeoff, but turned into you from a good distance out?
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    how did he run you over on takeoff, but turned into you from a good distance out?

[topgun]He was inverted.[/topgun]

hahahahahahahaha
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    [topgun]He was inverted.[/topgun]
    Heh.

(WTF is up with this 10-character shit?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    Give him your board, stop being such a pussy, sell the rest of your shit, buy us some jet skis and waterskis, and let's go ski Mavericks.
    I've always wondered if this has ever been done before. Not necessarily at Mav's but tow-in waterskiing in general. Anybody?