"Utah Bike Park!! Need Feedback Asap!!" @MTBR

[ame="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=563213"]Utah Bike Park!! Need Feedback Asap!! - Mtbr.com Forums[/ame]

cant hurt to weigh-in, right?

bumpworthy

Come on Utards and maggots from surrounding states, add your 2 cents.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

done and done

DONE done Done hope something comes of this
    I don't hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. JOhNGchrist goes killing.

UT is a big state. Where are they talking about putting this?

Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    UT is a big state. Where are they talking about putting this?
    In a perfect world, Brighton. Pretty sure that's not the case though based on some things TheProf has said at the WAFTA meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    In a perfect world, Brighton. Pretty sure that's not the case though based on some things TheProf has said at the WAFTA meetings.
    Why Brighton, out of curiosity?

I was thinking The Canyons or Snowbasin would be good fits. Less snow overall, better access and infrastructure and more available lower angle terrain.

People keep referencing Whistler, but I think Northstar might be a better model to build from. They have the same crappy talc dust to work with and pretty similar terrain.

Anyway, good luck to you guys. Every year a rumor would pop up that another resort was finally gonna step up. Now, it looks like it might actually happen.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Season is far too short @ Brighton IMO, canyons or PCMR would be ideal.
    - - - - Skiing is for little fat kids - - - - - -

Proximity to SLC but also easy access from PC via Guardsmans, lots of low angle terrain but also lots of interesting natural features to work with, good lifts, good dirt, it actually rains up there some during the summer, nice summer temps, scenic.

The Canyons would be my preferred 2nd choice. If they used the Gondi that would make for pretty long laps.

Snowbasin definitely has the flat terrain and would melt out fast, but it's a haul from SLC, even farther from PC and the flat stuff is all scrub oak.

Proximity to SLC but also easy access from PC via Guardsmans, lots of low angle terrain but also lots of interesting natural features to work with, good lifts, good dirt, it actually rains up there some during the summer, nice summer temps, scenic.
    Yeah, but what about all the snowboarders and weirdo tele skiers?

It ain't Brighton, although I wish it was...
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

When Alta puts the lift up Flag, you can park it there!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I have a pass at Solitude this season

I'm with DTM on this. I think Brighton would have the best terrain, it's not super steep, lots of pine trees, a multiple high speed quad that goes from base to peak(although great western and milly a bit more steep, a good bar at the base.

The Can does have some mellow terrain off of Saddleback, and a more "resort" type feel at the base, but getting up the gondola to saddleback would be a bit of a shit show. And if it took off, parking would become and issue and you would have to take the Cabriot up from the lower lot.

The Can would be sweet though cause that's were I've got my season pass.

Gow...

The real question is why would you get a pass at the canyons?

Quote Originally Posted by UTskiHokie View Post
    Gow...

The real question is why would you get a pass at the canyons?
    I have my reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    It ain't Brighton, although I wish it was...
    one more for Brighton - I think their parks crew could definitely go year-round and help keep building bigger & better things.. once taught, of course, how to build a bike park from pro's.

the shorter season I agree might be the biggest issue - but they really only need to run Fri/Sat/Sunday - they can even do like WEDs nights under the lights if they built a jump park - that would be ubersweet.

Some of the volunteer patrol might already be able to do summer days as well. or some former volly patrollers (in this thread, cough, cough) could even come back for some of those days

I would think Boyne Resorts (parent company) would be all over it.. but Brighton local mgmt is the tough sell.

Has WAFTA actually approached Brighton / or gotten any sort of feel for number of people that would be more interested in having the UTah bike park there?

Is there a facebook group or something like that set up for voting in addition to what's being asked on MTBR?

Proving the demand might help sway things a little. Also noting it doesn't have to be a 7 Days/Week thing either. (at least to start)
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide View Post
    Has WAFTA actually approached Brighton / or gotten any sort of feel for number of people that would be more interested in having the UTah bike park there?
    They have talked to them. Apparently Brighton currently operates as a seasonal business, which confers benefits to them such as lower unemployment ins. rates for when they lay everyone off in the spring. They currently have no desire to change this status and are unwilling to do anything that would require them to be open for business outside of ski season. It's unfortunate.

Anyway, when do we get to find out just which resort it is and what came about from the meeting?

They have talked to them. Apparently Brighton currently operates as a seasonal business, which confers benefits to them such as lower unemployment ins. rates for when they lay everyone off in the spring. They currently have no desire to change this status and are unwilling to do anything that would require them to be open for business outside of ski season. It's unfortunate.
    Makes sense in someways then, but I guess I wouldn't stop pressuring them - and would suggest actually going to BOYNE powers that be instead on the issue..

Boyne is ALL about making money year round (hell, they even built an indoor waterpark in Mich), and if there's enough demand/financial reasons, including things like Interbike moving to SLC, comps /events like Crankworks/AST Dew tour coming to the resort - to do so, they might consider changes.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    ...pmgear...

Most summer bike operations aren't money makers by any stretch, and Brighton doesn't really have the summer (non-biker) resort draw that the PC resorts have to make up any difference. I really think you'd be hard pressed to convince an otherwise stable operation to operate at a loss and open themselves up to more liability just because...even if it would benefit them in the future.

Brighton would be ideal for local folk'l, but from a destination standpoint, The Canyons is probably a better draw. Not to mention they have triple the acreage to work with, assuming similar proportions of useable acreage.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument, just adding to the discussion and e-conjecture. If you guys get a good bike resort going, wherever it is, I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    I have a pass at Solitude this season

And I am skiing full time.......

So if this goes down and the canyons, I'll be able to ski AND bike thru some gozillionaires backyard? Sweet!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument, just adding to the discussion and e-conjecture. If you guys get a good bike resort going, wherever it is, I'll be there.
    don't get me wrong, I'd be fine w/ the Canyons or anywhere in LCC/BCC - I just don't see us driving all the way to Basin all the time, so that'd rule out a seasons pass.

I"m also for the lifts past 5pm in the summer, even thought it doesn't affect me, it'd help tons of riders go after work.
    current ventures:

twitter.com/elisabethos
    ...pmgear...

Typical boyne short term thinking.