Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Columbus Day -- who has it off?

Because I don't. I thought I had a three-day weekend until I got a call this morning around 10a from my boss asking if everything was ok. I don't work at a bank, but it's still somewhat of a gov't (private/public) outfit and I just assumed I had it off.

I certainly wouldn't have polished off the Beam at 2 this morning had I known.

Day off? Day off? When you have a farm...you never have a day off but at least it's my choice.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

yea, also discovered it wasn't really, truly a Utah holiday. Always had it off back east. Along with Veterans Day, MLK day, Patriots day.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Liquor stores closed today too, and I could really use some hair of the dog right about now.

Fuck Columbus. What good did that punk ever do?

advres Guest
    Day off? √
    Got drunk last night? √
    Went on long bike ride today? √
    Drinking right now? √
    Will be passed out early for work tomorrow? √

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Brought the western world over to North and South America, introduced new diseases to the native population to clear them out so we can live in the greatest nation on the planet.

America, Fuck YEAH!
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I don't get off any of the minor holidays like Columbus Day, MLK or Presidents' Day, but I do get the entire week between Christmas and New Years so I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Brought the western world over to North and South America, introduced new diseases to the native population to clear them out so we can live in the greatest nation on the planet.

America, Fuck YEAH!
    I'm still wondering how he "discovered" land that already had people living there. Fuck Columbus.

Wiped out a bunch of natives so guys like Advres get a day off for quality drinking and biking... while I'm stuck the office, barely able to open both eyes and feeling like I'm going to be sitting in my own sick soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't get off any of the minor holidays like Columbus Day, MLK or Presidents' Day, but I do get the entire week between Christmas and New Years so I'm not complaining.
    sweet blog

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

America, Fuck YEAH!
    Along with all that other cool shit sapp mentioned. He/his peeps were responsible for integrating the tomato, corn, potato and other culinary goodies into the cuisines of Italy, Spain and France. Food in Euro Land was dramatically different prior to his discoveries.

So eat some pasta with some red sauce on it tonight in honor of the bro!
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Wiped out a bunch of natives so guys like Advres get a day off for quality drinking and biking... while I'm stuck the office, barely able to open both eyes and feeling like I'm going to be sitting in my own sick soon.
    Shit, he's a hero in my book.

I took it off. Company is closed, but they scheduled the annual company day, ya/ya meeting (fuck that) and I have the monthly sales meeting on Wednesday. Emailed my boss and asked her which one she wanted me to show up for as I am driving 2 hours each way to attend them both. She replied it would be great if I attended them both. "It would be great"??? It would be great to hang out at home on Monday too, so fuck that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm still wondering how he "discovered" land that already had people living there. Fuck Columbus.
    He 'discovered' it because the native americans didn't migrate, god placed them here. Go read your book of Mormon, it's all there.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

sweet blog
    The subject is who has Columbus Day off, was it not?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The subject is who has Columbus Day off, was it not?
    You just can't take a compliment, can you?

I'm off today, which is impressive because I work at a private school that is residential... so we miss most of the monday holidays because "The kids are here anyways, and they still need staff...." It's nice to get one for a change!

There was an article in our local newspaper about how children are being both sides of Columbus. The comments posted on the paper's site had a vitriolic theme -"we've had enough of these liberals teaching our children that white men are bad and evil".
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    There was an article in our local newspaper about how children are being both sides of Columbus. The comments posted on the paper's site had a vitriolic theme -"we've had enough of these liberals teaching our children that white men are bad and evil".
    That's pretty funny actually.

I have today off! And all you suckers are still paying my salary!

Know what I'm doing? Drinking a beer and tuning the bikes, and you're paying me for it.

Does it feel good paying my salary right now? Yeah, it must. I'm gonna crack another brewdog and get down to business on the lady friend's front derailleur. Ciao.

Sure do, and needed it off after not doing jack shit the first two days, glad i have one more to recover with...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

parvo=the funneh

his boss wakes him up and he's still so hammered that he actually comes into work

"We work today?" ("Oh snap! i just fuk'd myself with a football")

"Mmmm yes."

"I'llBrytin mmphmph cough hak spit mummmphm rght in..."

"Thank you."

I've learned Columbus Day is like the longest fucking work day ever... particularly when you're near death from alcohol poisoning.

More importantly, I've learned never to assume that a certain day is a holiday here until confirming it with my boss. Therefore I plan to show up to work on Nov. 2 even though it's Mexico's Day of the Dead.