canon picture styles

Does anyone have links to a download of canon .pf2 files. I am looking to create some effects in camera instead of during post-production. I already have the ones canon offers on their web site but I am looking for more of like photo negative effect or simulated IR effects.

BTW I use a mac. I was able to find a zip of 26 different custom files for this but it was windows/unix based and does not work on my mac.
    Last edited by Vinman; 10-10-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

for anyone interested I did find several .pf2 files that seem to work with macs. http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.ph...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and the zip file with 26 pf2 files for windows can be found in flickr by searching for picture style editor.

WhiteRoom Skis

Why do it in-camera if you can do it in post?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Why do it in-camera if you can do it in post?

Why do it digitally when you actually manipulate light?

I hate the time it takes to do post processing. I want to take a pic and have it come out they way I envision without extra computer time. Plus I feel like it is cheating in a way. I'd rather learn how to use my camera than learn how to use PS or GIMP etc.

WhiteRoom Skis

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Plus I feel like it is cheating in a way. I'd rather learn how to use my camera than learn how to use PS or GIMP etc.
    How is changing a digital setting on the camera any different than changing it on the computer. The only way to not "cheat" would be to really learn to use the camera by controlling the light as it enters the lens, not after it hits the sensor: shutter speed, ISO and aperture are the only actual things to control on the camera. Any other setting is digital hoodoo the same as PS but of a more crude implementation.

My take on this is, I try to get the picture as close as I canto what I want in the camera. If that's changing ISO, aperture, shutter speed, lens selection, filters, sharpness, contrast, saturation settings, whatever. That way if I do end up doing any post processing work, the effect on the original image is minimal, and less likely to introduce other artificats of PP into the image like noise, etc. Without PS or lightroom, I do very limited PP work anyway....

Just my $0.02.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    That way if I do end up doing any post processing work, the effect on the original image is minimal, and less likely to introduce other artificats of PP into the image like noise, etc.
    Your computer has a much more powerful processor, and is much less likely to introduce artifacting than the little hamster-wheel in your camera -- which also has to do everything in a fraction of a second so you can take another picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My take on this is, I try to get the picture as close as I canto what I want in the camera. If that's changing ISO, aperture, shutter speed, lens selection, filters, sharpness, contrast, saturation settings, whatever. That way if I do end up doing any post processing work, the effect on the original image is minimal, and less likely to introduce other artificats of PP into the image like noise, etc. Without PS or lightroom, I do very limited PP work anyway....

Just my $0.02.
    Shoot RAW. Adding contrast, sharpness, saturation etc. in camera is just using a cleaver to do the work of a scalpel. Any notion of "purity" by making digital adjustments (not physical ie shutter speed, filters etc...) in camera is malarkey. You're just using a really crappy tool instead of a really good one in post. I shoot all my cameras with every setting zero'd out. I want a completely RAW file when I open it in LR.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Shoot RAW.
    I do......

Cleaver vs scaplel. Nice analogy and never thought of it in that way. Just not someone that wants to spend a lot of time in post. I'd rather just get it right in camera.

WhiteRoom Skis

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Cleaver vs scaplel. Nice analogy and never thought of it in that way. Just not someone that wants to spend a lot of time in post. I'd rather just get it right in camera.
    You get composition, focus and exposure right in camera. Everything else happens in post. The settings in the camera are a crude compromise at best as the variables you are adjusting for vary from image to image, second to second. Unless you plan to adjust these settings after taking test images for each image you shoot there's no point in even bothering. Making contrast, saturation and sharpness adjustments to images in post is not a time consuming process. It's the difference between photographs and snapshots.

Chad,

One reason I try to get it right, is the Sony images are so large (24.6megs), and my computing power so lacking (slow processor) that even small changes in post take a long time. Plus when shooting raw, sony's software allows you to change the camera setting at a later date anyway. The raw image will display as selected in camera, but you always have the option of chaning it to something else later. But as I said, it can take a while with the image sizes we are talking about.

L
    Last edited by Lonnie; 10-12-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Truth, I get all that and it's prolly the reason i am not a pro photog. But at the same time being a crappy photog and being good at post vs being a good photog are different.

Admittedly I am still learning to take good shots and would like to minimize post work.

Anyway this is getting off topic. I was looking at trying to duplicate an effect I was able to create with my cell phone cam by using color photo negative and playing with WB to create some vivid other worldly looking landscapes. I'll try to post a sample later.

WhiteRoom Skis

taken with my cell cam, color photo negative and different WB settings.

WhiteRoom Skis

Lonnie, that's kinda funny. All that data and no way to deal with it.

Vin, this has nothing to do with being a pro vs being anything else. If you like the images you're getting than that's all that matters.

Lonnie, that's kinda funny. All that data and no way to deal with it.
    It's a temporary (funding) problem! My lap top does OK with the images, but I really don't trust the laptop display, esp for light/dark stuff if you know what I mean....

L

Why do it digitally when you actually manipulate light?
    Huh? If we were talking about shooting film you'd have a point.

BTW - ISO is an electronic function. Digi Cams do have 3 physical variables - but they are focal length, exposure, and aperture.

Lonnie - shooting RAW means you're not doing any manipulation in-camera. You can tag stuff (like shooting B&W) but in the end the file is still the basic information recorded by the sensor - the definition of RAW (or NEF.) All you've done is told it to display in B&W first.

Converting to .jpeg or using any of the .jpeg styles (like vinman) basically forces that file into that look for posterity. You can change some elements, but you cannot recoup chroma information from a B&W .jpeg should you so choose. This is the main reason why I like to do all my manipulation in post.

To try to use the old film axiom of "get it right on the negative" doesn't apply beyond exposure, DoF, and framing in the digital world. There is no benefit -- actually I would argue that there are many limitations (negative aspects) -- to imprinting a look in-camera.

Well, truth be told (no pun inteded), I shoot jpg and raw at the same time, so the in camera functions are applied to the jpgs (which, in sony's case, are what are displayed on the LCD). Exposure compensation adjustments do effect the RAW images as they make them lighter or darker since they effect the app and exp.

I am still working out my storage and work flow procedures, but since this is really just an expensive hobby for me at this point, I am not overly stressed about it.

I'll try shooting some in RAW and using Canon DPP and GIMP to do my post work to create the effects I want. I guess I'll need to learn how to batch process in GIMP.

I've got a good handle on getting a good exposure using my in camera meter. I understand the relationships between ISO/shutter speed/aperture.

Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Vinman; 10-13-2009 at 05:22 PM.

WhiteRoom Skis