Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for the SLC parent types

What's the word on SLC public schools? Particular school districts to target or to avoid?

Preferably, we'd be talking about SLC proper (somewhere near the U of U).

I'm new to the whole offspring thing, so I have no idea how to figure this out on my own.
    Youth is wasted on the young

I won't put my kid in public school anywhere around SLC. Private or Charter school is the only way we are going.

We have our reasons but I don't feel this is the best place to air them.

Not in SLC, but here's a web site that I've used a fair amount for school information: http://www.greatschools.net.

And, the SLC page: http://www.greatschools.net/city/Salt_Lake_City/UT. 5 on a scale of 10 (based on test scores) doesn't seem too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I won't put my kid in public school anywhere around SLC. Private or Charter school is the only way we are going.

We have our reasons but I don't feel this is the best place to air them.
    I grew up in SLC. I went to public school every year.

I think I turned out pretty damn good, however I can see some of where you're coming from, but I wouldn't say I'd never put my kid in public school in SLC.
    you sketchy character, you

Although Utah ranks better than the national average on standardized tests, I don't feel like the public school system in Utah is that great, at least compared to the schools where I was raised. That being said, private school is not an option for my family.

In general, like anywhere else, the wealthier the schools population, the better the level of education.

I remember a discussion I had with a colleague when I was living in Utah-

"What do you mean it is legal to teach evolution in other states?"

I don't have any first hand experience other than observations I had of the average education level of people who graduated from public schools in Utah. It was less than impressive.

Evolution IS and HAS been in the Utah core.

www.pcschools.us = High Quality School District

http://www.schools.utah.gov/assessment/reports.aspx

I grew up and still live in the area Turid is looking at. I went to public schools in the area and have had kids in the public school. I now have my kids in private school. The decision to put my kids in private school wasn't because of the school, but more because I knew one of my kids wasn't going to succeed trying to manage seven different classes with seven different teachers. The second kid didn't need it, but we decided to send her anyway. I didn't think private school would make much difference in her life, but it did and she has made the most of it. I think I have enough experience with the public schools in the area to give you some information.

The biggest difference between when I went to school and now is the number of kids in the area. The young family population has shifted to the southwest quadrant of the valley. There are not a lot of kids in the area.

There is only one school district--Salt Lake City Schools. All the talk about evolution etc. is bull shit. Doesn't happen. The biggest hang-up is around sex education. That subject is not taught and is ignored. Better to believe that sex doesn't happen.

There are four elementary schools, Ensign, Wasatch, Indian Hills, Bonneville and Uintah that I am most familiar with. Each one has its pluses and minuses. If I had to pick one or two it would be Bonneville or Uintah. Because the have good parent involvement and a good kid population base. On the Jr. High level you have Clayton and Bryant. Clayton would be my pick, for the same reasons of elementary schools. Also Bonneville and Uintah feed into Clayton. High School there is East, Highland and West. Each has its problems. West has the best test scores, but that because the school district loaded it up with the ELP program. The ELP takes all the gifted kids and West's test scores benefit. I would try to get my kid in the ELP program at West for the best chance of success. If that doesn't work out Highland then East would be my choices.

PM me if you have specific questions.

For what it's worth, I went to public HS in rural Georgia, so you guys will have to do better than creationism or lack of sex-ed to scare me off.

PowderAllTheTime - thanks for the detailed response. What kind of problems are we talking about here? mediocrity? drugs? guns?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    I grew up and still live in the area Turid is looking at. I went to public schools in the area and have had kids in the public school. I now have my kids in private school. The decision to put my kids in private school wasn't because of the school, but more because I knew one of my kids wasn't going to succeed trying to manage seven different classes with seven different teachers. The second kid didn't need it, but we decided to send her anyway. I didn't think private school would make much difference in her life, but it did and she has made the most of it. I think I have enough experience with the public schools in the area to give you some information.

The biggest difference between when I went to school and now is the number of kids in the area. The young family population has shifted to the southwest quadrant of the valley. There are not a lot of kids in the area.

There is only one school district--Salt Lake City Schools. All the talk about evolution etc. is bull shit. Doesn't happen. The biggest hang-up is around sex education. That subject is not taught and is ignored. Better to believe that sex doesn't happen.

There are four elementary schools, Ensign, Wasatch, Indian Hills, Bonneville and Uintah that I am most familiar with. Each one has its pluses and minuses. If I had to pick one or two it would be Bonneville or Uintah. Because the have good parent involvement and a good kid population base. On the Jr. High level you have Clayton and Bryant. Clayton would be my pick, for the same reasons of elementary schools. Also Bonneville and Uintah feed into Clayton. High School there is East, Highland and West. Each has its problems. West has the best test scores, but that because the school district loaded it up with the ELP program. The ELP takes all the gifted kids and West's test scores benefit. I would try to get my kid in the ELP program at West for the best chance of success. If that doesn't work out Highland then East would be my choices.

PM me if you have specific questions.
    Uh, so how many people live in the Salt Lake City School District? Because in the Bellingham School District (80k people), there are 4-5 times as many schools as you just listed.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

There are more elementary schools and jr highs. There are just the three high schools in the SLC district. I just listed some schools in the area Turd is interested.

Turd, like all jr highs and high schools there will be drugs. They are not the biggest issue. I think it is more an attitude of acceptance of mediocrity. Students and teachers don't really want to push to accomplish more. For example, kids are not challenged to look at higher education outside of the state of Utah. There is very strong pull to "fall in line" with everyone else and go to the U of U, BYU, UVU or SLCC. Part of the reason is finances. Utah has large families; there are not the resources to send kids to expensive schools. But part of the reason is people feel comfortable being in the isolation of Utah. Of course there are exceptions to everything I've said. These are general trends, not absolutes.

Park City public schools are the best public schools in UT. The H.S. was rated in the top 150 H.S. in the nation. We moved here from the Millburn/Short Hills, NJ school system (which is also top shelf). Park City is not as good but I would say that if you live in the area, try to do something to get your kids into the Park City school system.
    As an aside, it is probably one of the only school systems in UT that is not predominately LDS.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Park City public schools are the best public schools in UT. The H.S. was rated in the top 150 H.S. in the nation. We moved here from the Millburn/Short Hills, NJ school system (which is also top shelf). Park City is not as good but I would say that if you live in the area, try to do something to get your kids into the Park City school system.
    As an aside, it is probably one of the only school systems in UT that is not predominately LDS.
    I'm with zion on this one as far as the money aspect goes. People who have more money, can do private schools or schools in park city. Cost of living is higher and requires more income, family money...etc. simple as that.

With a kid on the way, I always think about this. Sure, I'd like to put my kid in a private school, but it costs more money.

Park City does a great job. So do some schools in Davis County, but those weren't in the area Turd is looking at. Private schools are no panacea either. There are problems there too. In some ways my sister's philosophy might have some truth to it: "Schools are for socialization, real learning takes place at home."

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I'd bet that the majority of the schools in the SLC district are not. At the very least, the schools along the eastern bench and in Sugarhouse aren't.

You could always get the best drugs from the kids who went to private school.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just remember....Charter schools ARE public schools.

While we have this discussion going, what about schools in the new Canyons District? Sandy specifically.

Schindlerpiste - where did you get your top 150 ranking? I don't know where to go for reliable data, but US News doesn't list Park City as a "medal" school as far as I see:
    US News Utah Schools

US News gave Skyline HS a "Silver", but schoolmatters.com ranks PC slightly better than Skyline in terms of math and reading proficiency - I don't know if it's simply different metrics or bad data or what.

PowderAllTheTime - I agree with your sister that the home is more important than the classroom - but, as a freaked-out new parent, it's scary to look at the numbers for Highland High School:
    66% reading proficiency and 27% math proficiency!

I really hope those numbers are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    I'm with zion on this one as far as the money aspect goes. People who have more money, can do private schools or schools in park city. Cost of living is higher and requires more income, family money...etc. simple as that.

With a kid on the way, I always think about this. Sure, I'd like to put my kid in a private school, but it costs more money.
    AC, no dig on you or anyone else. We simply can say that we won't put our daughter in public schools, especially where the area I live. I got a decent HS education back east and want this for my kid too.

With both of us working full time, kiddo is in daycare/pre kindergarten. This alone costs a pretty penny each month. Very close to schools, so in out minds we are simply transferring our money to another institution, continuing a good education. Luckily we have the luxury to do so and have had this plan since she was born. Savings for this was important for us over the years.

Example: We have 2 full time incomes with one child, versus several kids with one income. So to echo what ZZZ said, your setup (PC vs. SLC) and income can be a deciding factor. Not the only one, but a large one.

Comes down to what the parents want for their kids. My parents pushed me in HS, graduated with a 3.8, went to college and after graduation he asked me one question: Will you cut your long hair off (to get a job) and I will pay for 4 or your 5 years of college? I went running for scissors! I am lucky to have parents that could do that, very lucky, more than I know.

I want to now be that parent that my kid says that same thing about when she is 35.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    The biggest hang-up is around sex education. That subject is not taught and is ignored. Better to believe that sex doesn't happen.
    THIS IS SO WRONG!!! I can't stand that mentality. And won't.

I grew up in SLC. I went to public school every year.

I think I turned out pretty damn good, however I can see some of where you're coming from, but I wouldn't say I'd never put my kid in public school in SLC.
    You were a member of the club. Just sayin'.

The SLC school district closed a high school several years ago--South High. It was on17th south and state street. Most of the kids came from the central city and west central areas. A lot of the kids fell into the apathetic about school category. Highland got most of those kids. As a consequence there are two distinct populations at Highland. The achievers and those that don't care. The numbers about math and reading are scary, but if your kid cares about school, there are plenty of opportunities for them to grow and succeed and not get pulled down by the other end of the spectrum.

Buzz, I'm guessing that your main problem is the predominant religion? I don't know about the private schools down there but up here the two main ones I can think of are catholic, which is has more dogma than the LDS. No better in that regard to me.

My main problem with the public schools that my kids attend is the apethetic attitude by many of the children and parents. The Mexican population around here has a real problem keeping there kids out of gangs, which in turn creates a whole host of problems.

All this school talk makes me nervous when little boy is school age. What do we do? (i'm sure we'll figure it out, but it seems a bit stressful)

Ugh

All this school talk makes me nervous when little boy is school age. What do we do? (i'm sure we'll figure it out, but it seems a bit stressful)

Ugh
    Not that you shouldn't be concerned, but for crying out loud, get yourself past the whole carrying and having the baby part first.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Buzz, I'm guessing that your main problem is the predominant religion? I don't know about the private schools down there but up here the two main ones I can think of are catholic, which is has more dogma than the LDS. No better in that regard to me.

My main problem with the public schools that my kids attend is the apethetic attitude by many of the children and parents. The Mexican population around here has a real problem keeping there kids out of gangs, which in turn creates a whole host of problems.
    Part one can certainly be a negative, but not our main concern. While I am not Catholic and won't be sending my child to a school of that nature, the options we are looking at (not many) will have LDS kids too. It is not the religion (well sure, I guess that is part of it) but the curriculum we am interested in. I don't need some Temple Mormon teacher who is afraid or told not to teach sex ed and whatnot.

Part 2 is also a HUGE decision on where she goes. I don't want my child to grow up and learn from kids that have horrible parentals and their attitudes. The Mexican issue is something I don't care to discuss here, though we do have both positive and negative thoughts on this. A second language can only help. Gangs and those associated or caught in the middle, not so much.