Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    you've lost 3 cases of snake river beer. bittersweet.
    sorry for your loss

those were the days, back when i had the durango. that thing could comfortably sleep 6 + gear! the a4 is not nearly as roomy, but still gets the job done.

of course, if you can coerce a friend into sharing body heat, thats best

especially when you wake up here

gunit130 Guest
    So can anyone actually confirm that hanging shit around all of your windows actually prevents ice build-up on the inside?

this is such a sweet thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    which means, when you wake up here
    my favorite nipple to shred
    fuck it

I throw an old inflatable coleman 4" mattress in the back of my mountaineer (back seats down obviously), 0 deg synthetic bag, big quilt in case I need it...usually pretty comfortable. I have a cheap $50 space heater if I need it but usually I'm good without, only time I've had to use it was down in Thompson Pass and it was -20 something below. Warming up boots = put the heat on directed @ the floor, put boots on floor, 5 minutes = warm boots.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

It ain't much, but it's ski in/ski out. If you're gonna use heaters and the like in your car, get a carbon monoxide detector at Walmart.
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Has anybody used the coleman black cat propane tent heater inside a van?
    I've used catalytic style heaters for decades in winter vehicle camping situations. Something like the Coleman products are great for cars/vans/suv's. Target sells the base model for around $57.00. This one, with a battery powered (2 D cell) forced air fan is killer. Fan use is optional, works better for quick warmups of an airspace. Uses a standard Coleman bottle, 3000 btu output for 7 hours set on high. Just crack a window, as always especially if you run it for longer periods of time set on low. Catalytic heaters can produce a lot of condensation. I have never used a CO detector while using one, just be smart and keep things well ventilated and you will be fine. Cross-ventilation is your friend.

Last edited by Teh Poacher; 10-13-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Excellant stuff here... I can add a couple.

-If power is available Pelonis Ceramic Cube heaters = $
    -Cold boots? A 12 hour hand warmers (which last about 7 so put them right before you crash) and cover boots with jacket /towel etc to trap heat. $1 each so not for everyday use...
    -Those dorky looking plastic window awnings will greatly reduce the drift size in the morning when it storms.
    -Foam backed Carpet is a cheap option for window insulation and rolls up small for storage. Find a nap that sticks to Velcro hooks for attchement.
    -Floor insulation: a sheet of 1" sheet of roof insulation, a sheet of 5/8 OSB (the sheet insulation will crush without it) and a carpet remant. Cut to size & add spacers to create flat/level surface if needed.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Where is the heated truck bed thread

CURSE YOU TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL, DANIEL!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by telecincy44 View Post
    Danny you are professional. Id like to see some pics of your current set up if you got them?
    foto is from last year but she's still ticking
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Has anybody used the coleman black cat propane tent heater inside a van? I've been piecing together my van camping setup in preparation for the winter.

I've got a wooden platform that i put foam pads on, then an inflatable thermarest matress. I've got a 15 degree big agnes down bag that the thermarest slides into but I figure that when it gets really cold, a heater is a good idea. I just don't know if they are safe to use in a van (I assume maybe since they are made for tents)

Home sweet home...
    That is the fucking tits! What kind of van is it? I have been thinking about a DIY minivan conversion but it could only be a bed. This has room for two or three people to chill. I'll have to rethink.

Edit: also, it looks like your floor may be raised. Do you have storage under that? Great design and execution!

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

That's a cross section of a "candle heater." Anybody used one of these things? Seems a bit gimmicky, but they guy makes claims for em.
    BroBomb: Honest.

has anyone mentioned the 'challenges' of finding a place to park for the night in a ski town? i've been woken up at 3am by numerous rent a cop type guys telling me to move my junk show elsewhere.

stealth,plus ignore button

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    has anyone mentioned the 'challenges' of finding a place to park for the night in a ski town? i've been woken up at 3am by numerous rent a cop type guys telling me to move my junk show elsewhere.
    if it looks plausible that no one is home,just keep quiet and ignore them.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb View Post

That's a cross section of a "candle heater." Anybody used one of these things? Seems a bit gimmicky, but they guy makes claims for em.
    Check the first law of thermodynamics. That thing will not add any more heat than the candle is already producing.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    Check the first law of thermodynamics. That thing will not add any more heat than the candle is already producing.
    True, but that is not the purpose of it. Anything burning is going to put out a lot of heat pretty quickly. The purpose of the ceramic pots with air in between is to collect and store the heat, releasing it a bit more slowly. In theory, it's a sound idea. In action, no clue how well it would actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    That is the fucking tits! What kind of van is it? I have been thinking about a DIY minivan conversion but it could only be a bed. This has room for two or three people to chill. I'll have to rethink.

Edit: also, it looks like your floor may be raised. Do you have storage under that? Great design and execution!
    Thanks man,
    At the risk of thread jacking, its a 91 chevy astro van AWD. I got it this summer for 1100 bucks and built the rear bit into it. I will take some pics next week and post them up if possible.

Basically the raised box you see has two compartments, one that is a pass through for skis/ long shit, and the other with a solid back for storing camping gear. The captains chair that you see is on a swivel and has a seatbelt, so I can comfortably carry 3 people. It also convieniently sleeps three when I fold the top piece of plywood out on the box to form the bed. The floor is barely raised, but is generic pergo fake oak flooring. It looks sweet, but more importantely since it is synthetic it should handle moisture well.
    Right now I've got an extra swivel for the front seat that I need to get mounted up so that it too can swing around. I figure if I do that I can comfortably fit about 5 people in there for a few lunchtime brews while skiing.

Like I said, I'll post up some more pics in the next week or two. Its got a bit of a tranny fluid leak that I need to get taken care of, but otherwise its pure ridiculous class. I'm looking forward to spending a grip of time camping in it this winter.

Ask your local carpet store if they have a chunk of thick carpet. Cut the carpet to fit the back of your Rodeo. In my old blazer it worked great. I also ran rope in a spider web on the ceiling to store clothes,gear, etc. The catalytic heater sounds like a sweet idea as well! Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by SkaFreak View Post
    True, but that is not the purpose of it. Anything burning is going to put out a lot of heat pretty quickly. The purpose of the ceramic pots with air in between is to collect and store the heat, releasing it a bit more slowly. In theory, it's a sound idea. In action, no clue how well it would actually work.
    You dudes sound like u know what ur talking about. I mean a candle in a jar does heat up the jar pretty good. I bet it wouldn't do much, but it could be cool for camping if it did.

Kandle Heeter, Actually

Quote Originally Posted by JonBomb View Post
    That's a cross section of a "candle heater."
    Here's the link:

http://www.heatstick.com/_Process.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    i want one of these

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!

To the OP:

I have one of those "Mr Heater" heaters that runs on small propane cans. It heats a very large tent with ease and has an o2 sensor that shuts it off in the case of low oxygen levels.
    Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es

this van is my home away from home (or sometimes just my home)

i can highly recomend the vw vanagon to anyone looking for good winter accomodations. it does come in a 4wd version, but the rear wheel drive powertrain (which i have) still handles exceptionally well in the snow due to the weight of the engine being directly over the drive axle. i rarely use chains and usually just tell the caltrans guys that i have four wheel drive (once i put my good snow tires on).

i can transport 4 people plus gear and provisions easily. my van is the "weekender" edition, which means it has room for more snowboards and beer instead of the kitchen (stove/sink/cabinets) that the westfalia conversions normally have.

it sleeps two comfortably (i don't pop the top, which sleeps another 2, when it's cold). just load all your gear in the front and fold down the back seat.

the coleman "black cat" catalytic heater works well to warm things up, but whiskey works faster.

sure beats the hell out of waking up like this!

the water vapor put out by breathing people (and the catalytic heater) makes for a lot of condensation. closing the curtains and putting the sun screen over the windshield does not mitigate this at all. just get a good scraper and be prepared to do some work in the morning.

as far as drying gear, i usually find a quiet bar, sit down in the corner, tip the server well, and spread my gear out over a few chairs. an inverter plus a forced air boot dryer gets the boots ready by the morning, though it does kind of stink up the inside of the car. i have heard, however, that there are certain herbs that can be combusted to cover this up.....

having a second battery is nice if you want to watch snowboard videos or listen to tunes with the sound cranked way up. though this does compromise your "dl" status and can result in a late night visit from some unhappy parking control dudes.

in fact, the kirkwood parking guys have rolled on me before (in the center of the red cliffs lot--legit overnight parking) and asked for $20 as a "parking fee". i of course did not pay and drove off with my headlights out to another lot. on a subsequent trip i ran into the night security manager and asked him about charging for a vehicle that takes up no more space than all the trucks left out over night. he said that he only charges RVs to camp but that the parking guys have been known to harass people and pocket their money... you've been warned.

in south lake, the best camping spot i have found is the large lot for the (apparently abandoned) motel behind the divided sky. you can get nice and drunk, walk to your bed, and go the the cafe downstairs in the morning for a bathroom visit (though i must caution against the temptation to waste $2 on their god awful coffee).

in general, i have had good luck "camping" on streets and parking lots all over the country in this van. as long as the curtains are closed and a nice wall of gear is piled up in the front, you really cannot tell if there are people inside or not, and that is the key.
    when the laughing dies down i'm always the one who has to face the facts

Quote Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
    haha, i stand corrected. Ever used one?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Now thats a quality idea! I would never have thought about that. How many nights can you get using the power pack? How well does the solar panel recharge it??
    At a total of 3 watts in direct sunshine, those panels would take about 112 hours to re-charge that battery pack from flat.

A battery charger, or even just plugging it into the cigarette ligher when driving around would be more effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.