Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Now thats a quality idea! I would never have thought about that. How many nights can you get using the power pack? How well does the solar panel recharge it??
    The power pack will last well through the night. The one I linked to has a digital read out of the % charge. We have used it car camping in the spring to keep our boys warm when they were babies.

I have also used it for 3-4 night winter camping in a tent. Charging it each day while out riding. I use two of the solar panels. For car purposes I would probably get bigger solar panels. I got the small orange ones because they could be packed in somewhere.

The power pack can also be charged by your car. You can plug it into the 12 volt lighter jack or you can use the included jumper cables and connect it to your battery. It charges pretty fast when it is connected to the car.
    You should have seen Little Jerry, Jerry! Flappin' his wings and struttin' his stuff! He was peckin' and weavin' and bobbin' and talkin' trash! He didn't even have to touch him! The other rooster ran out of the ring.

"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils."

all that heater/candle/solar-panel crap is nice, but it really comes down to having a good sleepbag and tolerance for a little suffering when you get out of it in the morning, after all - this shit ain't the hilton-marriot lifestyle.
    Last edited by dannyboy; 10-15-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    Check the first law of thermodynamics. That thing will not add any more heat than the candle is already producing.
    I agree...all this is is a heat sink creating thermal inertia. Heating a brick or a pot of water will do the same thing, only bricks are a lot cheaper, and a hot water bottle can be put inside your sleeping bag.

$30 for that is a waste of good beer money.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

the 4th roommate moves out of our 3 room place next week, if you need a place to crash in jackson for a week or so shoot me a PM.

Another questionable idea that I thought might work. People use Damp-Rid buckets in storage spaces to keep out the moisture. Would a bucket of this stuff in ur car/van cut down on the condensation problem/help dry your gear?
    BroBomb: Honest.

i've never used or seen the product, but i wouldnt want a big open bucket of powder (which is probably toxic) in my car. especially if my dog is with me

the web site says its non toxic. My question is will it absorb enough moisture to cut down on the humidity levels in the car? Seems like that is designed to absorb small amounts of water over a period of time. Not a lot of water quickly.

This season a backcountry assault vehicle is mandatory. A warming hut for the sleds of sorts. The dreamiest truck accesory would be the pop-up four wheel camper, but used ones just don't exist and $8k is out of the budget. I drew up this plan for a regular topper. I'm obsessed with shit like this, but Dhelihiker becomes pathological.

Dhelihiker scored a cabover camper for $150. Here it is before Pimp My Ride Showed up. I tore a suburban heater out of a junked camper which vents the exhaust outside. The instruction manual on the Camper Buddy says it can shut down above 6500 ft elevation so that was out.

We've already put in a new ceiling, reinforced the roof, installed the deep cycle battery and heater and the stove and oven work. Pimp my ride is currently under full force. The structural integrity is subject, but we're putting the ing in bling. Xhibit would be stoked.

Questions: Why is there a dearth of 12 volt lighting at hardware and auto stores? Can anyone point to vendors and instructions on how to install led or other efficient lighting?

How long can a marine deep cycle battery power a radio, heater fan, lights and laptop?

Wow! thats rad! I wish I had a truck so I could get an over the cab camper. Sooo much simpler, but like you said, its all about $$$$$ plus I gotta get a drift boat first.

Don't forget your pee bottle...yellow nalgenes work great.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    This season a backcountry assault vehicle is mandatory. A warming hut for the sleds of sorts. The dreamiest truck accesory would be the pop-up four wheel camper, but used ones just don't exist and $8k is out of the budget. I drew up this plan for a regular topper. I'm obsessed with shit like this, but Dhelihiker becomes pathological.
    Dhelihiker scored a cabover camper for $150. Here it is before Pimp My Ride Showed up. I tore a suburban heater out of a junked camper which vents the exhaust outside. The instruction manual on the Camper Buddy says it can shut down above 6500 ft elevation so that was out.

We've already put in a new ceiling, reinforced the roof, installed the deep cycle battery and heater and the stove and oven work. Pimp my ride is currently under full force. The structural integrity is subject, but we're putting the ing in bling. Xhibit would be stoked.

Questions: Why is there a dearth of 12 volt lighting at hardware and auto stores? Can anyone point to vendors and instructions on how to install led or other efficient lighting?

How long can a marine deep cycle battery power a radio, heater fan, lights and laptop?
    That truck is going to be awesome.

Your best bet for LED lighting would be online, try ebay. Search terms that work are "12V RV LED" or marine LED.

How long a deep cycle battery lasts depends on how big the battery is (usually rated in amp-hours) and how much load you put on it.

Since some stuff is rated in amps, and other stuff in watts, you'll need these two equations:

Amps = Watts / Volts

and

Watts = Volts X Amps

Keep in mind the current draw (amps) will change depending on voltage (12V or 120V), but the wattage will remain the same across both voltages when using a power inverter.

The short answer is that a typical 52 amp hour battery can supply 624 watt-hours (12 X 52). Assuming you're running a 65W laptop, 8W of LED lights, 72W (assuming 6amp motor) heater fan, and 4W radio, you'd be drawing 149W or 12.41A which would last about 4 hours (624 / 149) with that battery. This assumes that all of the above is contantly on.

Try and avoid relying on 120V stuff if possible, because you'll loose energy in a power inverter which is usually only 80-90% efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Hanging flannel cotton sheets around the windows seems to absorb most of the water and stops most of the ice build up when I sleep in the back of the truck with a cap.
    You have to find a way to dry them, along with the rest of your stuff. Laundromats are my first choice.
    I tried those catalytic heaters; gave me a headache. Now I use my coleman propane lantern to heat up the back before climbing in. Sure heats things fast. Always turn off before sleeping, and I have a CO alarm. I think 4 people died last year trying to sleep in their car from CO; hazy on details. Just do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnM View Post
    I think 4 people died last year trying to sleep in their car from CO; hazy on details. Just do it right.

3 girls at squaw early last season

http://www.sacbee.com/240/story/1482186.html

Gerome,

That thing's gonna be sick when you guys are done with it. I want to see what it looks like when you're finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Search for reviews. I found one on Amazon that basically said it was useless. YRMV.

Luke- if you're only going to JH, Targhee and bozone for a few days at a time, just find a few couches. You can stay with me a for a couple days if you can change diapers and don't mind toddlers.

I have been vehicle bound for nearly 5 of the last 6 years. I do however have the prototypical stalker van. It is a Ford e-250 full length with no windows except on doors. this is key to keeping prying eyes from finding you out. Another key is finding the balance between keeping your dogs quiet when someone approaches and letting them be protective. On more than one occasion I am sure I would have been passed over had the dogs not started their grumbling.

Now onto the van. It is outfitted with a counter extending about four feet back from the drivers seat. This houses the cooler, the stove, a shelf for canned goods, three drawersne for silverware/knives and such, one for larger food items and the all important junk drawer. It also contains two deep cycle batteries one 12v capacitor for the stereo system amps, a 2500watt power inverter and some more odd shelves for books and frying pans and the sort.

Connected to the counter and now running width wise is the bed. It is roughly a 22 inch tall 50 inch by 72 inch box full of storage that is segregated by storage bins and milk crates. Behind the bed is more storage consisting of an area for my stainless steel 3 drawer toolbox to slide into another slot with reinforcements for my 100lb shoeing anvil to slide into, a large pull out drawer to hold other necessary tools and another roughly 2 foot by 2 foot storage bin with a flip top to hold all my power tools and spare parts that rarely need accessing while on the road.

Heating this behemoth has proven tricky as the standard Mr.Heater leaves a little to be desired and the van heaters really only heat the front passenger area. Curtains do help and I tailored them to fit each window and each one has a neodymium magnet sewn on the corners to hold them in place on the doors.
    This setup has proven to work fairly well for kayaking, skiing, mt. biking and any of the other lifestyle sports I have found my self caught up in over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Don't forget to keep a well marked Nalgene pee bottle handy. It sucks to drink a few beers before bed, and them to have to stagger out into the snow to pee. Just be sure to mark the bottle well, you do not want to make mistakes.
    The pee bottle is a must, especially if its snowing. I sleep in down jacket and fleece pants inside a 0 degree bag on a thermorest. sometimes in the car with the back seats folded down. tinted windows are good to hide the fact you are sleeping in the car. Tents in heavy snow can be a pain for extended stays.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Pee bottle = square Nalgene
    Drinking bottles = round Nalgene

Best to not get the two confused in the middle of the night.

Everyone else seems to have most of the other fine points I can think of covered. I would be really, really careful about running the car or any combustion powered heat source inside unless it vents to a clear area (no snowdrifts) outside and draws its O2 from the outside too.

You might check army surplus stores to see if you can't come up with a gov. issue Arctic sleeping bag. I know they work well as low as -50F and were in heavy use for many years so may be available on the cheap. Eat lots of high fat high calorie food, stay well hydrated, and you should be fine.
    Last edited by wind_dummy; 10-25-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Semi-professional anvil avoider and unfortunate slave to gravity.

dogs,pee bottle,boot warmer

"Another key is finding the balance between keeping your dogs quiet when someone approaches and letting them be protective. On more than one occasion I am sure I would have been passed over had the dogs not started their grumbling.'

try putting a large sign on the dash that says your guard dog only barks when someone is near the van,that he has plenty of food,water,and air, and that you will be back soon with the 12 guage

a pee bottle is good,but when its really cold, get a hospital-style urinal at walmart and stay in bed.

i am not sure about the boot warmer above, but i have a 12v mouse-insert type that sure helps.intuitions are also great if you must put on cold boots.or keep liners in the bag with you.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Hayduke: just curious where you are from. You don't happen to have a dog named Hayduke do you?

My solution to having to get out of the van at night to pee. Helps to move the vehicle every other day or so as to not have a big pile of piss. Even anatomically shaped for the girlfriend Hose runs right through the floor and empties in front of the rear tire to ensure spray on asshole tailgaters windshields.

Quote Originally Posted by Missiongravity View Post
    Hose runs right through the floor and empties in front of the rear tire to ensure spray on asshole tailgaters windshields.

That. Is. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Missiongravity View Post
    My solution to having to get out of the van at night to pee. Helps to move the vehicle every other day or so as to not have a big pile of piss. Even anatomically shaped for the girlfriend Hose runs right through the floor and empties in front of the rear tire to ensure spray on asshole tailgaters windshields.

holy shit! that is some engineering. No damn bottles to loose cap on and knock over in the middle of the night. Hope you don't have to hold it for the girlfriend like that...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....