Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    these threads are going to destroy my engagement

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    these threads are going to destroy my engagement
    In order to keep things happy in my now marriage, I'm figuring out how two people can winter camp in a Honda Fit. I had a good system for one, but two could get tough...

There is no way in hell my fiancee is going to sleep in a car. I mentioned a super sweet van I found for sale and this did not make her happy. I'm 37 and constantly finding myself fantasizing about living in a van and using my extra coin to get my skydiving license and heli ski time. Living and working here in northern Arizona right on the edge of the rim is a perfect location for comfortable van living.

Sleeping platform

A simple set-up. 2 sheets of 3/4" Birch ply and some threaded schedule 80 plumbing and flanges for center supports. The platform can be used in full for more then 2 people or the other half removed and placed on the (or under) the main platform.

Here it is.

Crikey, I'm going to echo others thoughts on this ~ fantastic thread!
    Great to hear constructive ideas from people who've actually done this!

Regarding condensation, I also think good ventilation is key. Has anyone found and retro fitted covered air circulation vents into a car?
    Having a window open either side would be great apart from, rain, (when in warmer climates), and stealth/security.

I don't think I'll find window visors for my old Citroen Xantia Estate.

:/

Cheers, romie

Quote Originally Posted by cdlenfert View Post
    My wife and I have camped with our dog in our CRV at around 20 degrees and felt pretty fine in just a sleeping bag. I built a platform that holds all our stuff underneath. Curtains help keep the cold out.

Hi, the sleeping platforms look superb!... And that mattress looks great, what material is that?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    This is my setup.

Pictured is a Futon that I've since replaced with a memory foam mattress topper. It's two inches of memory foam laminted to two inches of straight open cell foam on the bottom, $60 at Walmart. Thing is money. It is a little stiff at first when it's really cold but only takes a few minutes to warm up. I use a 25* rated synthetic double wide bag from Colombia and below about 40* I put a cheapo Walmart bag over the top of it. I can comfortably go down below zero with this setup, colder with two people

The platform is free-standing with 3/8" ply on a 2X3 frame, with one lengthwise support in the middle so I can slide gear back and forth without it snagging. I wrapped the top in carpet pad and industrial carpeting just for a nice finishing touch. The frame comes out in one piece and stands on end in the garage for storage when necessary.

Headroom is a trade off, I go for more cargo capacity. If you're claustrophobic just make the legs shorter. I also have an AC inverter wired into the back to plug in whatever, phone, laptop. When I get a second battery wired in I'll be able to run by boot drier all night which will heat the thing very effectively. I've also got heavy black curtains that velcro up to the topper insulation, very stealth when you want to be.
    Hiya, regarding your choice of mattress material. I'm trying to figure out the best stuff to use.

Any opinions of best stuff to use?

Can you, (or anyone), expand on why the change from futon to memory foam?

Many thanks, romie

Hiya Romie, going slightly off topic here but i'll answer your questions to the best of my abi
    lity
    Quote Originally Posted by romie View Post
    Hiya, regarding your choice of mattress material. I'm trying to figure out the best stuff to use.

Any opinions of best stuff to use? ANSWER I'd defo usea video recorder, i much prefere to see JONGS girlfriends tits in motion than in still form

Can you, (or anyone), expand on why the change from futon to memory foam? ANSWER memory foam wipes down a lot easier after drinking to much brew/vodka and pissing ones self

Many thanks, romie
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

FYI, memory foam turns into a brick at cold temps.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    FYI, memory foam turns into a brick at cold temps.
    Hiya, yeah the previous guy said that in his post, but he changed from a futon to memory foam for some reason? :/

I'm thinking of storing the sleeping platform in the roof of the estate car when not in use.
    And so along either side and along it's length, have two hinged 'fold out wings' that open when lowered down to parcel shelf height to give more room when in-use.

Problem will be the mattress material.
    Too thick and bulky, and it will be difficult to fold and store, too thin and it will be uncomfortable and cold.

I've got a -20 deg Tangerine Dream (google it) I haven't used for 20+ years. Its well cared for and I'd sell it for cheap. Way better bag than you'd ever get at Walmart. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Walton View Post
    I've got a -20 deg Tangerine Dream (google it) I haven't used for 20+ years. Its well cared for and I'd sell it for cheap. Way better bag than you'd ever get at Walmart. Let me know.
    hiya

Thanks but I'm not after a sleeping bag, I'm just trying to figure out what mattress material to use

Ta, romie

Sleeping in a car when it's 37 below is a great way to get first tracks!! You'll be up earlier than anyone!!! Like 2 AM!!!

Combatting condensation is the main issue. Especially when it just turns to layers of frost. A long time ago I got a hold of like 20 yards of gore-tex for a project I was working on. I find the remainder makes a fantastic tarp over sleeping bags. You'll still get some condensation but less than with a standard tarp.

Best thing I've found is an old super heavy Russian wool blanket that I put over the sleeping bag. I use that instead of the gore-tex now. Heavier than hell but it's been keeping Russians warm thru cold Siberian winters for centuries!!

Remember to keep your boots inside your sleeping bag!!!!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Sleeping in a car when it's 37 below is a great way to get first tracks!! You'll be up earlier than anyone!!! Like 2 AM!!!

Combatting condensation is the main issue. Especially when it just turns to layers of frost. A long time ago I got a hold of like 20 yards of gore-tex for a project I was working on. I find the remainder makes a fantastic tarp over sleeping bags. You'll still get some condensation but less than with a standard tarp.

Best thing I've found is an old super heavy Russian wool blanket that I put over the sleeping bag. I use that instead of the gore-tex now. Heavier than hell but it's been keeping Russians warm thru cold Siberian winters for centuries!!

Remember to keep your boots inside your sleeping bag!!!!
    Hey, cheers for input

hahah, yes I saw the keeping boots inside sleeping bag idea and have got that on my 'camping in car whilst snowboarding' toDo list!
    Never would have thought of it, and will be the first time I'd try! But don't you end up introducing damp into the sleeping bag? I suppose if it just passes through the bag then all is good eh?

The only other way to get boots dry would be to run one of these boot heater/dryers? Dunno, will have to play with both set-ups to figure it out I suppose.
    Oh and also just throwing them in a laundromat dryer if there is one... but I'll end up buggering up my thermosetting in the inserts :/ hmmm.

I see the condensation thing as a BIG issue. I was thinking of either cutting holes in car and fitting metal louvers or fitting diy window visors - both to mainly stop rain, (when in warmer climates doing other stuff), getting in whilst having an opening on both sides of the car and a candle lantern on either side. And also the big issue of STEALTH!

Massive fitted thick pink insulation on all windows would be a must, in the back of the car at least.

All fantastic ideas from here!

Having read this entire thread I'm getting a very good idea on what to do/not do.

Just trying to figure out the damn mattress material and air vent situation... hmmm

Welll...it's best to chuck the snow out of them and dry them out as much as possible first. Yes...doing so may introduce a little more moisture into the bag and if they are soaked, it may not dry them fully, but it sure beats frozen liners in thr morning. See, I dont put the whole boot in the bag..not the shell...just the removable liners. Really helps!!

As for comfy mattress material...I use that open-cell foam with the weird pyramid things built in (about 2 -3" thick) on the bottom and my thermarest ontop of that. I keep the whole set together with a twin fitted sheet. On my rover, the bunk folds down from the ceiling (land rover expedition style), is held horizontal by four chains when bunk is down...and folds up to the ceiling and is held by clamps to the ceiling rail when not in use. Was thought up by my dad when I first moved up to Ak. It's quite the rig and is comfortable as hell!! Even on super chilly trips to Inuvik, NW!!!

Get that 3" open foam pyramid foam mat...comes in 4x8' sheets..cut out a section big enough for one bag...or two bags!!..use that as your base mattress and thermarest on top of that. Roll up both when not in use. Comfiest around, I swear!!! Just remember that a fitted sheet helps keep both together!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I use a 3" paco pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Welll...it's best to chuck the snow out of them and dry them out as much as possible first. Yes...doing so may introduce a little more moisture into the bag and if they are soaked, it may not dry them fully, but it sure beats frozen liners in thr morning. See, I dont put the whole boot in the bag..not the shell...just the removable liners. Really helps!!

As for comfy mattress material...I use that open-cell foam with the weird pyramid things built in (about 2 -3" thick) on the bottom and my thermarest ontop of that. I keep the whole set together with a twin fitted sheet. On my rover, the bunk folds down from the ceiling (land rover expedition style), is held horizontal by four chains when bunk is down...and folds up to the ceiling and is held by clamps to the ceiling rail when not in use. Was thought up by my dad when I first moved up to Ak. It's quite the rig and is comfortable as hell!! Even on super chilly trips to Inuvik, NW!!!

Get that 3" open foam pyramid foam mat...comes in 4x8' sheets..cut out a section big enough for one bag...or two bags!!..use that as your base mattress and thermarest on top of that. Roll up both when not in use. Comfiest around, I swear!!! Just remember that a fitted sheet helps keep both together!
    Nice feedback!
    ah, just put inners in sleeping bag with you, check! I'll separate the inner soles as well, but keep them in the bag with me. My Northwave Decades get surprisingly wet for some reason, must be missing the goretex layer or something

Thanks for the heads up on the mattress set-up. I'll look out for that material, fingers crossed I'll find it on ebay!
    I wondered how people managed to get fitted and cut-to-size mattresses!

ta

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I use a 3" paco pad.
    hey cheers, just had a look. It looks like they have a plastic coating. I was thinking of some sort of 'crash mat' before but kinda dismissed it as although nice and WIPE CLEAN ... don't you get a sweaty back where your skin is against it and can't breath? :/

Quote Originally Posted by romie View Post
    hey cheers, just had a look. It looks like they have a plastic coating. I was thinking of some sort of 'crash mat' before but kinda dismissed it as although nice and WIPE CLEAN ... don't you get a sweaty back where your skin is against it and can't breath? :/
    I put a blanket over it.

Bumping this. Here's the shopping list to equip:

Sleeping Bag - Got one already.
    Foam Pad - Is there a benefit to using air over foam, or a layer of air? I figured the point of an air mattress is transportability at the expense of comfort, but this stuff is staying in my car, so why air?
    Power source - Something like a motomaster eliminator pack. If anyone has suggestions for a good power pack like this I'm listening.
    Heater - To warm the car after I wake up. Coleman pro cat or something like that, or has someone found something better?
    Nylon tarp - To put over the bag
    CO alarm
    Remote starter - Not sure yet if I want to spring for one of these.

And, crucially, a means of diminishing condensation issues. Lots of talk about how to approach this, including cutting out foam blocks to fit the shape of the windows. Would flannel sheets or terry cloth from towels maybe work? Interested to hear more on how people have dealt with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD May View Post
    And, crucially, a means of diminishing condensation issues. Lots of talk about how to approach this, including cutting out foam blocks to fit the shape of the windows. Would flannel sheets or terry cloth from towels maybe work? Interested to hear more on how people have dealt with this.
    (I haven't tried this, FWIW). In reading up on this here and other forums, I've seen some report success by hanging a heavy sheet or wool blanket between the front seats and the rear or the vehicle. Not only would this provide for more privacy, but it seems to reduce condensation build-up on the front windows and windshield.

^That is a good idea. If it's reasonably well divided it also creates a smaller area that needs to be heated. Will attempt.

Incidentally, I went to Home Depot today and no one had the slightest idea what "Reflectex" was. Yet Sparwood Dave lives in... erm, Sparwood, which is like 2 and a half hours from me, so I know it has to be available somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JD May View Post
    ^That is a good idea. If it's reasonably well divided it also creates a smaller area that needs to be heated. Will attempt.

Incidentally, I went to Home Depot today and no one had the slightest idea what "Reflectex" was. Yet Sparwood Dave lives in... erm, Sparwood, which is like 2 and a half hours from me, so I know it has to be available somewhere.
    Go to the insulation section you'll find it...