Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    It is an Earthroamer. I beieve only about 30 were made. they are close to $200,000
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    It is an Earthroamer. I beieve only about 30 were made. they are close to $200,000
    $200,000????? You gotta be kidding me! That's a nice rig, but 200 grand means SOMEONE is being scalped! Be a nice adventure rig for a guy like Sir Richard Branson, though...I'm sure he wouldn't bat an eye at that price.

For about $9,000 or 14,000....you can buy an ex-german military Mecedes Unimog w/ a radio communications box on it. For about $2000 more, you can convert that box to a nice sleeping/cooking quarters. And be able to go places that rig above would NEVER be able to go.

Basically something like this.....now THIS is a "earth roamer":

Mercedes Unimog S404 camper conversion.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    or this:

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Or, since I'm a Land-Rover nut....this cool expedition 1976 Land-Rover 101 !!:

-
    -
    -
    -

You gotta cover the windows.

Even if you just cut cardboard to the size of the window and push it in. Makes a huge diffrance in the warmth. I cut ridged foam insulation.

Then Go buy a candle Lanten Keep it buring all night. this will help keep the condensation down and add a little warmth. I have a big candle lantern holds 3 candles. If you can fit it go for it or just get the single one.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    You gotta cover the windows.

Even if you just cut cardboard to the size of the window and push it in. Makes a huge diffrance in the warmth. I cut ridged foam insulation.

Then Go buy a candle Lanten Keep it buring all night. this will help keep the condensation down and add a little warmth. I have a big candle lantern holds 3 candles. If you can fit it go for it or just get the single one.
    remember that candles use oxygen
    picador

^^^ and leave CO so vent well. I doubt it would produce enough CO to be fatal, but could leave you with a wopping headache. CO alarms are cheap.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My wife and I have camped with our dog in our CRV at around 20 degrees and felt pretty fine in just a sleeping bag. I built a platform that holds all our stuff underneath. Curtains help keep the cold out.

this thread is awesome

Best car for Europe? - a commercial transport van. No windows means not raising any suspicion when ignoring ubiquitous NO CAMPING signs or sleeping in the suburbs. I removed the wall behind the seats, using a thick blanket for separation between front and back (no condensation on windows; less noise from the back while driving; heating and air condition work better) which can be removed to let the sun shine in.

For this winter I didn't manage to get any insulation so we had a nice ice cave. Lived in the car for 6 days in a row with 5 people (of course, only two of use slept inside the van) and plenty of more nights with two or three people.

The last shot isn't from winter, it's just to show what the car looks like..

The Fiat Ducato and the Peugeot/Citroen versions of the car have a minimum width of 187cm which means most people can sleep sideways. We managed to build a sleeping platform into the car by strapping to reverse U shaped wooden constructions over the wheel covers and then strapping the platform on top of these. No putting screws in any metal.

Using a blanket on top of the sleeping bag moves the thaw point (if that's the english expression) into the blanket thus the ice/water from condensation will collect there and not in your bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164089_492021393800_570823800_5861103_6225820_n.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	99527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167039_10150150823097506_818387505_8354258_2477228_n.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	99528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206324_10150253530797506_818387505_9180903_1367629_n.jpg 
Views:	3967 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	99529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	254601_10150332912657160_731512159_9769322_6419140_n.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	99530  
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Wow, what a thorough thread! Here are some of my winter car-camping notes:
    -Big inflatable plastic air mattresses are cold and prone to punctures.
    -Futon mattresses are HEAVY... and lumpy.
    -Memory foam is very temperature sensitive. In the cold, it becomes super stiff.
    -Reflectix covers for the windows are perfect to retain heat and keep your privacy.
    -A couple candles will make a noticeable difference. It doesn't take much.
    -A down comforter on top of your sleeping bag is good for moisture management and extra warmth.
    -Wear your next days base layers to bed. It saves one uncomfortable step dressing in the morning.
    -Wear a beanie/balaclava and fresh dry socks to bed.
    -Keep a pee bottle within reach and use it. Holding it wastes body heat.
    -Crack a window, even in the coldest temps.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Those Earth Roamers are still in production and last I heard were booked out with orders for the year. They are even made here in CO right of I25, pretty neat facility. I believe they cost far more than $200k now depending on options.

You guys should be hanging out over at the expeditionportal.com forums. There are tons of threads pertaining to living out of your vehicle. Here is a 500 post thread about drawer and sleeping platform systems, you will have to sift through it to find sleeping platform pics. The sleeping platform would be ideal for any SUV, thought about building one for my FJ80 but the floor is flat enough.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...eping+platform

Just bought this for my truck bed...now I just need to find a shell and my truck-condo/poon palace will be complete for Tahoe parking lot poaching this winter.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2668150932.html

Not exactly what I am looking for but I lack the carpentry skills/tools/workspace to make a platform for my truck bed. I figure I will store gear in the cab and next to me when futon is folded out.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Don't forget to keep a well marked Nalgene pee bottle handy.
    Wrap it with tape, and bunch it up as you wrap so you can feel it in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by herr_stoiber View Post
    This picture makes me feel strangely conflicted.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Hugh Conway Guest
    there needs to be a covert euro van rental agency that isn't based in the netherlands

steiglbrau4lyf

there is a product for RVs used in the winter called Dry-z-air that will help absorb alot of the moisture in the air. Guys who use it in RVs in the winter rave about it. Never used it but thought I would throw it out there.

Those platform "inserts" made out of wood are clutch... a good buddy of mine and his wife made one for the bed of their truck and worked perfect with a crash pad. Plus the storage underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by crazbalhead View Post
    there is a product for RVs used in the winter called Dry-z-air that will help absorb alot of the moisture in the air. Guys who use it in RVs in the winter rave about it. Never used it but thought I would throw it out there.
    Thanks for the lead. they sell at amazon. Get a kit for under 20 it looks like. After Ullr Fest in VT where my summer tent collapsed under the wind, we found sleeping in the car to be a pita. But this could work well in a winter tent too!
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

since you are in your car, back wool millitary blankets, you put 2 of those on top of your bag, you will be good to go. Iv slept in my pickup truck so many times in ski parking lots, just with plywood on the rails, no insulation in bellow zero temps. Good blankets are supper warm , specialy over a bag. good bennie, stay organized, and keep some whiskey with you. have fun man.
    it doesnt realli matter as long you as you remember to wake up and go skiing

Has anyone ever retrofit a Thule box with a little padding/insulation and used it to sleep in? I've googled the idea and found absolutely nothing. I can fit comfortably in a Thule Mountaineer and the confined space doesn't really bother me. I have an Xterra, which is about 6 inches too short to sleep comfortably.

I can think of about 12 reasons why this could be a terrible idea, but is oddly compelling. Has anyone else done it or have any insights on how not to die.
    Last edited by georgio; 11-11-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: grammahhh

Just wait until some do-gooder comes by in the night, notices your box is unlocked, and nicely locks it for you.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Drill air holes in your thule, line with foam, profit?
    Doubles as a nice toboggan as well
    pájaro enfermo

The lock is already broken, making it much less effective at storing gear, and much more effective for not getting trapped in. I'm going to give it a try next weekend and I'll report back. I was thinking about buying a trailer but this seems much more cost effective.

This is my setup.

Pictured is a Futon that I've since replaced with a memory foam mattress topper. It's two inches of memory foam laminted to two inches of straight open cell foam on the bottom, $60 at Walmart. Thing is money. It is a little stiff at first when it's really cold but only takes a few minutes to warm up. I use a 25* rated synthetic double wide bag from Colombia and below about 40* I put a cheapo Walmart bag over the top of it. I can comfortably go down below zero with this setup, colder with two people

The platform is free-standing with 3/8" ply on a 2X3 frame, with one lengthwise support in the middle so I can slide gear back and forth without it snagging. I wrapped the top in carpet pad and industrial carpeting just for a nice finishing touch. The frame comes out in one piece and stands on end in the garage for storage when necessary.

Headroom is a trade off, I go for more cargo capacity. If you're claustrophobic just make the legs shorter. I also have an AC inverter wired into the back to plug in whatever, phone, laptop. When I get a second battery wired in I'll be able to run by boot drier all night which will heat the thing very effectively. I've also got heavy black curtains that velcro up to the topper insulation, very stealth when you want to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truckbed 004.jpg 
Views:	17723 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	103306  
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    this

plus this

equals this

which means, when you wake up here

you've lost 3 cases of snake river beer. bittersweet.

Funny how things work! I had bought this '99 Dodge Durango from my older brother and road tripped all over Colorado and the west through college. When gas got expensive, bought an old Audi A4 for skiing and road trips - passed the Durango onto my little sister as she transitioned from U of Iowa to Colorado. She used it for a few years, then handed it down to youngest bro when he came to college in Gunnison. Now, little bro bought newer car last summer, I (thank god) got rid of the (expensive as fuck to maintain) Audi and bought a Subaru. That left a fully paid off, driven by all my siblings (typically during college ie- by broke college kids that invested more in beer than oil changes, let alone any actual maintenance) 250,000 mile Durango sitting around Colorado unclaimed. CLAIMED!!!

Just did an oil change on this bad boy. V8 is still huge, poor mpg but seems to run strong. Needs new tires, looking at 31" General Grabbers but reluctant to drop $675 if it's gonna die soon. Been running good lately but the other day, it turned over but wouldn't start. O shit moment, but eventually started up. Scares me for taking it on long trips or into remote areas, but FREE friggin SUV! Middle and rear row of seats lay down totally flat, creating a perfect 2 person sleeping platform.

Reliability questionable - need to find a thorough but inexpensive mechanic in the Eagle, CO area. Rear passenger window is broken with about 1" crack at top. OK now, not ideal for mountainous winter driving.

Sweet to have a 4wd high clearance beast that looks like shit and runs strong. Already got the lady (different one than in previous pictures...) to camp in it one night, our 2-person bag + dog were super comfy. Need to look into window coverings. Has a factory rack that fits my roofbox - even more interior room! Gonna try to avoid sinking money into this thing but really pumped and looking forward to more car camping in ski lots this winter!!

Looking back fondly on some photos from when I previously owned the Durango! 2007 spring break was a good trip. Boulder>Moab>Zion>Vegas>Bishop>Mammoth! Climbed a lot, lots of random hot springs, and after a week, even dug skis out from the clutter and checked out the Sierra beauty.

First pic is our first shotgunned beers, off the River Road N of Moab
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1263.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1,015.9 KB 
ID:	121516

Name:	IMGP1359.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	121517

Bowl on the dashboard with post cards, Captain on the floor. Ah, college

Name:	IMGP1387.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	121518

Name:	n10205224_34516178_2642.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	121519

Also saw extensive ski/winter use! Durango's are great for sleeping inside.

Name:	IMGP0132.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	121520

Wow, memories!

Name:	IMGP1871.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	121521
    Last edited by Tips^Up; 09-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.