Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NH wedding location advice

So, the future Ms. Shred and I are going to be tying the knot soon. Probably May, probably in NH. We both have some connections to NH and our families are in the area. We're both fond of the Whites. We've looked into the Mt. Washington Hotel. It seems expensive, but it's obviously a great facility and they seem competent to handle the bar and food. Anything that makes planning this less complicated is obviously good. Plus, I'm an economist and have economist buddies who would get a kick out of it. Joe Dodge Lodge looks nice, but it doesn't have a big space for a large group. The Highland Center at Carter Notch looks good, but we don't have any special attachment to it.

If it were up to us, we would get married somewhere much more gnar, but we need to accommodate our (large) families. So I think it has to be somewhere covered from the weather (probably inside) convenient to roads and places to stay.

So ... any suggestions on any place we should look into?

I just got married last July. We had been considering either NH or VT, with the Mount Washington Hotel being high on the NH list. We ended up deciding against it because of it's remoteness. We wanted to have options for people to stay in less expensive places than where the ceremony way, but still be close enough to stumble home at the end of the night. With a 1/2 hr drive to N. Conway and not too much in-between, we decided it just wasn't going to work. Ended up having it at the Stoweflake, and couldn't have been happier. Just some food for thought... and congrats!

Eagle Mtn House or The Wentworth in Jackson. $ort of expensive. Would guess cheaper the the Mt. Washington Hotel.

I've done a a number of large functions at the MWH and they do a good job. Their new conference center is quite nice. May can be a little dicey as the seasonal help are just getting their sea legs (trays get dropped, etc.)

It is pricey and a haul from anywhere else so your guest who aren't staying will have to be careful about how much the drink.

I think the Eagle Mountain House has a pretty cool vibe.

The Mountainview Grand ain't nothing special (just sayin not that you asked.)
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    attitash, pm if you need a good contact there
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

The Balsams is sweet, but if that other guy thought the Mt. Washington was remote he'd think the Balsams is on the moon. Beautiful, beautiful place and great food and service.

Otherwise the Mt. Washington would work fine. How many people? The Hanover Inn, or, pretty much just across the river in VT,The Woodstock Inn, are both really cool places.

MV Mount Washington. Get married on a boat! It'd be very cool. Plus the lake will be deserted in May. Its beautiful. And you could do it inside and out. I always kinda wished I'd had my Bar Mitzvah or some event on the Mount. But if they won't let you use your own caterer, I'd be hesitant. Food is edible, but far from gourmet.

Balsams and the MWH are great choices too.

Other great choices would be around Portsmouth.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I have heard that the in-house catering at Mt Washington Hotel isn't all that... so I'd be really on them at those prices to make sure everything was perfect. Then again, the location is so gorgeous... who's going to be looking at their food, everyone will be too busy taking in the view!

Friend of mine had a wedding at the Mountain View Grand in Whitefield. Another nice place with some great scenery.

http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Friend of mine had a wedding at the Mountain View Grand in Whitefield. Another nice place with some great scenery.

http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/
    Beautiful spot.
    I have some doozies of stories from that kitchen though.

We had our wedding at Black Mountain in Jackson, NH. The only thing was we needed a place that would allow outside food, my wife's family owns a restaurants and I guess there was no way they would have any other food op at the wedding. The place was great the cottages on the property were nice, and they let us rent a place just for a after party. Whitney's Inn
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I was thinking Jackson, too. There's some great Inns and it's classic New England scenery. Either that or maybe Storyland?

What's wrong with the Martha Mary Chapel followed by a reception at the Wayside Inn?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Yep, jackson church (if that's your thing) is a good spot with it's location and is good for mixed/non demonination.

Then you have choices of:

Whitneys (shovelhandle is a cool barn and Seamus (chef) is a great guy)
    Wentworth (They do a wedding very nicely and are centrally located, great selection of rooms from standard to stunning suites)
    Eagle Mtn (Stan, their chef, is excellent. While his everyday stuff is hohum, he gets excited to do quality work when the oppurtunity presents)
    Inn at Thorn Hill (if you want to do the nines, but you will pay)

The MWH was just acquired by the Omni Group, so they will most likely be going through some changes. Omni is solid, so those changes should be for the better.

Jackson also is close to host of good spots for rehearsal dinners and has plenty of lodging options.

PM me if you need any inside info, I'm on a firsthand with most properties in the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Yep, jackson church (if that's your thing) is a good spot with it's location and is good for mixed/non demonination.
    We were married next to that pond across the street. Its a much nicer "church".

Storyland what a great idea damn.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

thx.. I guess it depends on how old the bride is, though...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

ha, Storyland. nice.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ha, Storyland. nice.
    Thanks for all the great advice. We might drop you a PM, traininvain.

The bride is actually kind of into the idea of Storyland. And don't you worry, I'm marrying younger, but legal. She has fond memories of the polar coaster. The boat in Lake W. used to try to run her over at sailing camp, so that idea probably won't float.

As for the Wayside Inn and its chapel - I heard that Henry Ford doesn't condone us Irish reproducing.

Lake+Winnipesaukee+summer= bad ass wedding

Rye is always nice to take pictures after. The Wentworth (New Caste) is also a great destination...I think it was already mentioned up there.

shining

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Eagle Mtn House or The Wentworth in Jackson. $ort of expensive. Would guess cheaper the the Mt. Washington Hotel.
    2nd,
    my buddy had his wedding there years ago right after they renovated the place. sweet spot to get hitched.his dad was one of the investors in the new Eagle Mountain House
    plus, I waited tables there 20+ years ago on weekends in college, rumored that stephen king wrote "The Shining " there.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Got married at the Eagle Mtn House in Jackson, which if your not familar is in Carter Notch. Great place, great food and somewhat cheaper than other places! Also depends on what your going for. We looked at every place in the area, all of the ones in Conway, Littleton, Bethlehem, the lodge at the top of the notch. But the Eagle was great.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Lake+Winnipesaukee+summer= bad ass wedding
    BINGO

Church Landing in Meredith NH right on the bay. Outside spot for the ceremony with indoor spot for ceremony/reception if needed. Sisinlaw did it a few years back. Sick. Bride came into the ceremony on broinlaws sweat Baja speadboat with her brother driving. Turned a few heads.

HD

The wife's friends got hitched at the Castle in the Clouds. Pics were pretty badass. I havent been since I was like 12 but always thought is was amazing. I am willing to bet is cost some serious $$$ there though.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Me and the Mrs. tied the knot on top of Rattlesnake Mtn. overlooking Squam Lake. It's a short 1.3 mile hike.

It's the rocky outcrop on the left in the photo. Pretty place.

That's a nice looking spot ^^^^. Ugh, we gotta find ourselves a place fast. Planning this thing is turning into a PITA already.