Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    holy balls thats hard. gave it a go a couple times. had too much else going on to dedicate enough time to it to make anything resembling progress. i think next time i need to just focus on surfing for like a week or so. am already scheming when i can get back to a beach
    obviously a lesson wouldve helped too but funds were low

If you can't decide where to go have a look at www.GoLearnTo.com who do surf holidays all over the world. I went on one to Peniche in Portugal and it was quite cheap with basic accommodation included. They have Costa Rica too which I quite fancy though low funds as always are an issue for me too. This is their surf page with different places to go, might inspire you! http://www.golearnto.com/sports-holidays/surfing

Cancun is one of the best places to learn to surf. The waves are perfect; Small and friendly.
    Apart from that the water is amazing turquoise color. Its paradise here. By this time I imagine you've already learned how to surf I was going to recommend a good surf school in Cancun, check out em out at www.360surfschoolcancun.com
    They have lots of rental boards too!!!
    They will bring you a board to your hotel and pick it up when they are done.

on top of that they now have SUP boards
    GLuck
    Last edited by 360Dave; 03-03-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: new info

Stand Up Paddle Isla Mujeres

I learned how to Standd Up Paddle (SUP) in Isla Mujeres, with the dude from SUPIM. ITs located on the North Beach in Isla Mujeres and the Nabalam beach club. If you contact them at http://www.supim.com they will bring you a stand up paddle board to your hotel or the beach that you got to. They have locations in Isla and Now also in Cancun.

Marcelo the instructor, also taught me to SUP surf, what an awesome time!!!!!

Thanks SUPIM!!! Im now super hooked

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    This is an old as hell thread, but FWIW... SoCal. Encinitas has a good beach break, along with Doheny in Dana Point. Nice safe, small waves. I've got some good buddies that teach surfing in Laguna too. If you've never been to SoCal, you might find yourself wanting to move there after a visit.

spook Guest
    it doesn't matter. he'll find you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great-white-face.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	113608

Thats just mean Spook .... I think I dated his sister...

For the OP, I just did this in the lamest possible way and had a hoot. Stoip worrying about what folks think, and do it.

Had to be in Florida last week, not really my choice, but made the best of it. Relearned that being a gaper can be a blast. Flyfished the Indian River Lagoon, caught nothing, had a blast.

Went to what has to be the world's most touristy, gaperific surf shop, Cocoa Beach Surf Company. For $50 a piece got a two hour lesson for the whole family. We rode massive, crappy, beater foam boards, in tiny, crappy waves, surrounded by massive, fat, ugly tourists. It was about as "non-vibe" as you can get. Within two hours all four of us were standing on waves. Two of us, the kids (10 and 14) were paddling into and catching their own waves. Did we feel like complete gapers? Sure did. Did we have fun anyway? Dam right. And the kids begged to go rent a board and surf every day for the rest of the time we were there.

Conclusion, I sincerely doubt I will turn into any kind of surfer, my wife concluded it's just not her thing. The kids are totally hooked and asking when we can next get to a beach. Don't overthink this stuff. If you wanted to learn to ski would you go to the baddest-ass mountain in the world? No, you'd go anywhere that had snow, lifts, and instructors. Surfing is the same in this respect.

I went surfing for the first time last fall and had a freaking blast trying. I don't think I managed to actually "surf" but I had fun trying and am hooked. Being a Montucky resident I too have problems getting near surf but I bought a wet suit and drove out to Westport. I do a lot of Stand Up paddling on the lakes and rivers around here. SUPing out at Westport was a blast. We started in a mellow spot where regular surfers can't go and just started working on the gentle rollers coming in then moved out to the Jette and got spanked.

Super fun. I'm hooked. My friends are heading out that way again in a couple of weeks and I'm super jealous that I won't be able to go this time. Hoping for an end of august/early September trip this year. Feel free to tag along, the more Montucky kooks the better IMO.

so theres like NO surfing in the florida keys?

I should find my original surf instructor and slap him silly...'cause I'm STILL just a mediocre surfer. It was one of those "guaranteed to get you up" surf camps. Problem with those is that once you DO get your one "guaranteed" ride...usually by being PUSHED...then you simply no longer exist in the eyes of the instructor...he's by then concentrating on the hot babes in the class with the thought of scoring running around in his head.

But like nearly everyone above said...it's NOT where you go...it's how many times you go....how much time you're willing to put into it. If you're ANYWHERE within an hour or so from a break...make THAT your local beach....and buy a used board...some tri-fin..no need to spend big bucks...$200-250 will start you.

Private lessons are what you want. Surf instructors are usually broke...so often an hour private lesson can be had for $50.

Practice your pop-ups on your board on ground and then on water over and over and over AGAIN...until you get a quick and smooth pop-up. You won't be able to do shit until you get your pop-ups down pat. Keep them fluid...ONE fluid motion...no jerky two/three part movement!

Most important skill: To smile...laugh at yourself and have fun!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

^^^This...and ocean awareness and paddling. I think the people that have the hardest time learning are those that did not grow up by the ocean. For those that are unfamiliar with waves, I think the best thing is just to go body surfing or boogie boarding for a few days. Once you've taken about 50 waves on the head and are comfortable swimming under the foam pile and taking air drops without the board, then you are ready to learn to surf.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    it doesn't matter. he'll find you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great-white-face.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	113608
    Love riding with the mens in gray suits.

might be going to hermosa beach next month. im assuming their is some decent gaper surfing round those parts?

Going to Costa Rica next week, flying in and out of Liberia. Going with the gf. Any recommendations on a good place to learn? Never surfed before. Heard mixed reviews of Tamarindo. No real plan yet at all, we will have a car though. Is Malpais too intense/local for beginners? Should we be aiming for something "touristy"?

Just about anywhere on the west coast that is directly on the Pacific ocean will have decent beach break surfing as long as there is a decent swell . Since you live in Montana you could easily drive to the Olympic coast of Washington, Oregon or for something more exotic go up to Tofino on Vancouver Island. It is a pain to get to but almost no local vibe and a huge area of different breaks , surf schools, and places to stay and beautiful and exotic feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    might be going to hermosa beach next month. im assuming their is some decent gaper surfing round those parts?
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

UPDATE.
    i gave it a halfassed attempt on kaui like 5 years ago. tried it a tiny bit in puerto rico 3 years ago.
    fast forward. i moved to new jersey a couple years ago. and im finally getting around to taking some lessons. first one is tomorrow!!!
    and a friend is giving me his old board.
    siiiiiccccckkkkkkkk

Nice bump. Good luck tomorrow. As far as instruction goes, I've heard good things about these guys. Some of their video tutorials are worth checking out, and the tree of knowledge is pretty cool.

If a shark bites your leg off, maybe I'll be able to keep up with you. Have fun and good luck with the nuptials Nate.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

where would you go to LEARN to surf............

The beach..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    If a shark bites your leg off, maybe I'll be able to keep up with you. Have fun and good luck with the nuptials Nate.
    thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    UPDATE.
    i gave it a halfassed attempt on kaui like 5 years ago. tried it a tiny bit in puerto rico 3 years ago.
    fast forward. i moved to new jersey a couple years ago. and im finally getting around to taking some lessons. first one is tomorrow!!!
    and a friend is giving me his old board.
    siiiiiccccckkkkkkkk
    Ur gonna die

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    where would you go to LEARN to surf............

The beach..

Or...
    My buds second trip to the pool.

Sri lanka or any easy tropical sandy beachbreak
    Last edited by whitekingsalmon; 07-26-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: who cares