TR - Green River, UT 9/23-27/09

Lunch spot day 1

At lunch spot day 3, happened to find a little mouse on the bank at lunch and just wanted to confirm that trout will in fact eat one

The fish of the trip (~20" brown) just wouldn't cooperate with the camera.

Killed it with terrestrials - ants and hoppers primarily. Even got a couple hits on a pine beetle.

East Greens Lake @ Red Canyon Lodge

Nice. So where did you begin this journey, Flaming Gorge?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I love the green. Thanks for the pictures.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Nice. So where did you begin this journey, Flaming Gorge?
    yeah, we just did 3 floats in 3 days: "a" section, "b" section, then back to "a" on the 3rd day. we didn't camp, but I would love to go back and do a multi-day float/camp.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Sweet pics. The one after the vid. of secret riffle is one of my favorite views. Was up there a few days before you. Definately fishing well. I've worked a few trips with Danno fun guy and a great guide. Although he knows better than to bread stuff those lunch spot fish. I did dig seeing the mouse git chowed. I'm hoping to make it back up for a float or two before going into ski mode.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

nice! i need to get up there a little earlier this fall. how would you compare the a to the b? (only done the a)

Excellent report! Beautiful shots.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    nice! i need to get up there a little earlier this fall. how would you compare the a to the b? (only done the a)
    My $.02
    The b sees 1/3 to 1/4 of the traffic of the A. Little to no rubber hatches. The 1st 4 miles can fish as well as the A but fish per mile #'s are less more browns and to me they seem to fight a little harder. After red creek rapid a class 3 that can kick your ass in certain flows, the river slows and fish #'s drop although there are some pigs. Gulley washing t-storms can turn the river into chocolate milk past this point and it can take a few days to clear. The best part of the b/c are the well maintained campsites the ability to fish the last hours of sunlight caddis hatches and magic streamer hour without rowing out in the dark. An early morning departure from camps can put you ahead of the flow bump, and other floaters which is better for dry fly fishing in imo. The big drawback is a more expensive 1 hour plus shuttle on a washboard gear destroying road back to Dutch John, although the new section of road they put in this spring is a bit nicer.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Danno was awesome. I was with him all 3 days. Hilarious and a good guide. Yeah I was a little surprised when they started throwing food in there...

I started on Thursday and killed it with an ant, then it got progressively slower/hotter/more crowded each day for me. Not necessarily the same for my Dad or my bro...

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Sweet pics. The one after the vid. of secret riffle is one of my favorite views. Was up there a few days before you. Definately fishing well. I've worked a few trips with Danno fun guy and a great guide. Although he knows better than to bread stuff those lunch spot fish. I did dig seeing the mouse git chowed. I'm hoping to make it back up for a float or two before going into ski mode.

basically what he said.

my experience was there was a LOT less traffic on the B than on the A. we also went an extra 2 miles (11 miles total) to a different take out apparently which had a few good runs in it. there was also a lot less action, fish are fewer and further between, but they are bigger. I had at least 4 large fish shake me off and 1 snap me off. it was a little frustrating as I missed like one fish on the A the whole day. those larger fish have much slower, subtle take and then they shake like hell. if I was only there 1 day I would definitely pick the A, but I would love to go back and float/camp the B and spend more time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    My $.02
    The b sees 1/3 to 1/4 of the traffic of the A. Little to no rubber hatches. The 1st 4 miles can fish as well as the A but fish per mile #'s are less more browns and to me they seem to fight a little harder. After red creek rapid a class 3 that can kick your ass in certain flows, the river slows and fish #'s drop although there are some pigs. Gulley washing t-storms can turn the river into chocolate milk past this point and it can take a few days to clear. The best part of the b/c are the well maintained campsites the ability to fish the last hours of sunlight caddis hatches and magic streamer hour without rowing out in the dark. An early morning departure from camps can put you ahead of the flow bump, and other floaters which is better for dry fly fishing in imo. The big drawback is a more expensive 1 hour plus shuttle on a washboard gear destroying road back to Dutch John, although the new section of road they put in this spring is a bit nicer.

didn't think the green river was actually so green
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    This front auta have the browns above Fontanelle frisky. Going to dust off the Clack and drag her over there for a day trip in the next two weeks. No small flies allowed or rods under 10ft.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

This thread is why I am beating the bushes for a drift boat. Lumpy let me know how this fishing is above Fontanelle. We were just discussing such a venture last night.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    didn't think the green river was actually so green
    Well now you know.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I just floated "A" section back in August. My favorite spot to fish in the world.