Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Halloween at Sunday River

Sunday River is planning on opening for Halloween again this year, and rumor has it anyone who shows up in costume will ski FOR FREE!! Not only that, but halloween is actually on a Saturday this year so there's no need to waste a sick day for the WROD. A couple people have expressed interest in going in the [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168641"]EC Roll Call V.3[/ame] thread, (some may even be bringing bikes) but I thought that if enough are interested it deserves a "mini-summit" thread of it's own. So who's in? So far, based on chatter in the summit thread it looks like the following plan on attending. Add to, or subtract from this list as you see fit!

JayPowHound
    EC_ripper
    Vt-Freeheel
    trainnvain
    snowmonster
    roark
    EC_the_tash
    phuckhuck
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 10-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.

I'll be there.

unless there's a WROD closer I'll be there.

sounds like a blast, can't make it due to a wedding in PA. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    unless there's a WROD closer I'll be there.
    Honestly I'd probably go to a closer one too... but I'm pretty sure Sunday River will be the only lifts spinning in Oct. Let me know if you hear differently!!

I am intrigued... keep me posted.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    sounds like fun but doubt I'll have my new sticks by then.

Never bring new sticks to opening day. This is rock ski time.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Never bring new sticks to opening day. This is rock ski time.
    Took the words right out of my mouth! Hopefully there'll be enough of the natural stuff to do a little "exploring" and really NEED the rock skis!

I definitely have interest in this...

sleep in the MWV on Friday, and off to Saturday River dressed as something...

Then go climbing on Sunday...

I love it.
    Time again for slaughter of pow, bumps, and EC ice.
    Days on snow = 0
    Days in powder = 0
    Days in hospital = 0

I will be there for sure.
    If you show me your pizza, I'll show you my french fry

Hopefully someone has hit it already, they've been open the past 2 weekends.

In any event I'm planning to go this weekend. Don't know yall personally, but i can say for-sho I won't be in the Foggy Goggle with the affliction wearing crowd. I'll be at the other bar. Let the mug club commence.
    Skiing made me Board

Quote Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
    Hopefully someone has hit it already, they've been open the past 2 weekends.

In any event I'm planning to go this weekend. Don't know yall personally, but i can say for-sho I won't be in the Foggy Goggle with the affliction wearing crowd. I'll be at the other bar. Let the mug club commence.
    2 days in so far here, neither on weekends. Can't ski next weekend though since employees can't ski on limited terrain due to some memo. Might try and make some turns incognito anyway though, if we're open. A few counterpoints/advice I can think of.

A) What other bar? theres 3 on the hill, the Well across the street, plus the matterhorn down the road, and Liams further down....none of which are any better than the goggle. As far as I'm concerned Sud's is the only real bar in town, until they close for the night and shit moves over to the FRB.

B) None of said on-mountain bars are open yet. Except the Phoenix on select days, next weekend being one of them, but it should be retarded since Bob Marley will be there.

C)No one wears affliction period. Cotton kills last I checked.

D) They may not even be open this weekend since we've lost almost all our snow due to last weekends rain and warm temps all week + some fog and rain and too much skier traffic. And even if they're open, don't count on it being free since that will = crowded shitshow instead of just a normal shitshow on a WROD.

F) Don't be a JONG with a 'tude. Just say yup, I'll be there, wearing this, this and this, and skiing/riding on this. Say hi if you see me.
    Last edited by phuckhuck; 10-27-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Ok.

Shipyard. Slider's shouldnt count as a bar, and the goggle usually has its fair share of Fox/afliction/bud light/dirty chicken wings.

maybe a tinsel laiden trendy outfit is in order for halloween. Brilliant!
    Skiing made me Board

Quote Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
    Ok.

Shipyard. Slider's shouldnt count as a bar, and the goggle usually has its fair share of Fox/afliction/bud light/dirty chicken wings.

maybe a tinsel laiden trendy outfit is in order for halloween. Brilliant!
    Shipyard won't be open till at least Thanksgiving unless we catch a HUDGE storm between now and then.

If the hill is open at all this weekend it'll be limited to Barker with skiing on T2 and Sunday Punch, possibly just T2 with downloading required and there might be an outside shot that Steve opens the bar upstairs there (forgot about that place, guess theres 4 bars on the hill).

Sliders is most definitely a bar, they have the best bartenders on the hill IMO. But I'm biased since I like a spicy as fuck bloody mary on occasion, they have good food, and I ski with a few of them pretty regularly, plus they have long trail there and it's on the better side of the mountain.

South Ridge definitely won't be spinning lifts since the Chondola's all torn apart right now while they're getting some shit fixed up in the lift housing. So don't worry about the goggle crowd. Just a heads up.

I'll post more details as the weekend gets closer as to what things are looking like up here and what to expect (if anything) for Halloween and further on down the road. Right now, I'd say they won't be open at all since there's only been like a 2 hour window all week with temps cold enough to blow snow and even then the wet bulb wasn't ideal.

But I wouldn't be getting too psyched up about Shipyards mug club quite yet since White Cap doesn't even have snow on it yet.

I thought this forum was about skiing anyway, so who gives a shit where and with whom we drink, let alone what they're wearing or eating. That's all secondary so let's get this back to who's gonna be there sliding on white stuff. end rant/
    Last edited by phuckhuck; 10-28-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Has anyone heard official word about the free lift tickets with a costume? I'm a little worried now that they've been open a couple weeks that it may get scrapped... here's to hoping it's not?

Just heard from a buddy who spends quite a bit of time up there that it will be $25 lift tickets for the general population, with a special $10 ticket for the halloween loving, costume wearing freaks. It ain't free, but it's $10 so I'm still in! Thinking about recycling my Saucer Boy costume from the MSP premier last week...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Just heard from a buddy who spends quite a bit of time up there that it will be $25 lift tickets for the general population, with a special $10 ticket for the halloween loving, costume wearing freaks. It ain't free, but it's $10 so I'm still in! Thinking about recycling my Saucer Boy costume from the MSP premier last week...
    See ya on the trail, Saucerboy. If you see a short guy with green Rossis and a blue jacket, ask for change. I may be in a Hawaiian shirt if it's warm. Aloha.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

bait & switch ! $10 bucks or free ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    bait & switch ! $10 bucks or free ?
    They announced $10 yesterday.

Yup. When halloween was supposed to be opening day it was going to be free, but now that they've been spinning lifts for 2 weeks already it's $10.

FWIW, they did allow skiing for free on the afternoon they opened. But, only the locals in the Bethel area were able to take advantage of that since they only announced a few hours before opening.

So how was it?...the party? I never been there.

Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul. - Rebecca West, 1892-1983

Mistakes are the portals of discovery. - James Joyce, 1882-1941

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides, 484 BC-406 BC
    How intelligent are you?
    Find out here: IQ Test || Intelligence Tests

Halloween at Sunday River

Were thinking about a Sun - Thursday vacation but I wanted input on which location would be better.

DH 38 and skis
    DS almost 4 and will take 1st ski lesson
    me 37 and never ski

Dh is thinking about 2 half days skiing with DS. I want an activity indoors in another day.

Which area, No Conway, or Sunday River, is a better fit for us?

Thanks