Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Good Powder Board?

Whatsup kids, my little bro is coming out to Jackson this winter and wants to shred the gnar. he's a very good snowboarder but has a crappy park board, which cannot roll in the steep and deep. So i'm looking to hook him up with a good pow board that can also charge it. does such a thing exist? as a skier i have no idea so any recommendations are much appreciated. thanks
    SEND IT

depends on what he's looking for. if he wants more of a jibby pow board then pretty much any twin/directional twin with rocker will be perfect, but if he wants more of an all conditions charger then something like the rome anthem or anthem ss will work out pretty well. i'd say that boards are more versatile than skis so i wouldn't be too worried about getting extremely specific.

pow-specific or do-everything-all-around-plus-pow board?

money-is-no-object or budget-conscious?
    Last edited by legallyillegal; 09-27-2009 at 01:29 AM.
    holy fucking shitballs

Never Summer. BURLY boards with a 3 year warranty that he will be able to ride on everything at Jackson. Everyone who has one loves em.

My only complaint is that on the deepest of days (2 feet+) it requires a bit more steep to keep the amount of float without working it. But at Jackson that shouldn't really be a huge problem. My mountain gets a little flat.

I'm 6 foot 165 lbs and ride the T5 163, which is now like the permier.

I bought the NS legacy-R last year, rocker camber, float very well on powder. But i took the 170cm, 6'4'' and 215 and big feet so i had no choice. I don't do park so maybe if i did, i would have took it a lot shorter.

This should be in Tech Talk.

Venture Storm.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Burton Supermodel X is my choice. Stiff enough to charge hard with stability, wide nose and slight taper for better float. It shines in pow but is still so much damn fun in just about everything. On the pricey side though, check ebay for last years model on the cheap.

wrong forum.

Never Summer. T5 (longer version of premier). As long as you can handle.

They took the words right outta my mouth---Never Summer w/o a doubt. Preferably the Titan.
    So local it hurts...

Gentemstick SuperFish -- small batch designed boards from Hokkaido, Japan. check out the new Sweetgrass film to get a taste.

Another NS supporter here.

Got the 163 legacy r last season and loved it. Once I got my stance setup dialed it handled great and was a blast in pow. As someone said earlier, they're burly boards. Mine took a few good tree run-ins and held up fine. Good boards for sure.

advres Guest
    banana hammock for pow specific board,

Charging freeride/pow board? Never Summer Premier, although I do find my Heritage to be a better floater. It´s also softer, has a tighter sidecut, but is almost as damp. Really, for straight pow and mixed charging, the Premier is where it´s at. Listen to the people.

You want your gift to last, don´t you? Never Summer kills all.

You did fail to post this thread in the right section, JONG!

PS: Soft snow specific and nothing else, I think advres is on the right track. I´m having a similar, but much hudger thing getting built by Igneous these days. Looking forward to get my hands on her!

Ask this Maggot if he has something for your bro....

http://www.northforksnowboards.com/powreaper.html

first of all, apologies for the wrong forum, clock that one up to being a n00b.
    secondly, thanks for all the good responses. I'm definitely working on a budget but since boards are cheaper than skis its not super tight. Id like to get something that will slay pow but if the snow sucks (aka mid jan-feb in jxn last year) we can still have fun. Definitely looking for twinish as well cause he likes to spin. I know a bunch of people who ride NS, those sound like good boards, also ive seen some good deals on the custom X blems from last year so ill go with whatever i find. also that big twin from north fork looks sick.

edit: at 6' 2 170 lbs would he be better on a 161 or 163?
    SEND IT

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty374 View Post
    I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and ride a 160 with size 9.5 feet. Those boards are tiny for him in Jackson.

6'2" 170 put him at least on a 166 or 168....the length won't hurt him in jackson, as long as the sidecut is below 9m.

waggoner, those are beautiful boards but not something this kid should ride for his first year in Jackson....plus, talk about high maintenance...a bamboo board that can't be stored wet? after my IPO, baby!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Since he's used to a park board I would go for something less tanky than a Never Summer, unless they have some they would call soft. Pick something with good taper and some good flex. Taper will let him size down (to the low 60's) which is good because he probably is used to a really short board for the park- not everyone can handle a long board especially in the trees- and it makes riding pow way easier.

If you're looking burton blems, see if you can find a malolo or a supermodel, both tapered. Otherwise there should be some deals on last year's boards.

what size shoe is he? that is going to have a big influence on what board he gets. if he is over a size 10 then he should probably be on a mid-wide or maybe even a wide. i'm a 10 and am even considering going with a wider board.

first of all, apologies for the wrong forum, clock that one up to being a n00b.
    secondly, thanks for all the good responses. I'm definitely working on a budget but since boards are cheaper than skis its not super tight. Id like to get something that will slay pow but if the snow sucks (aka mid jan-feb in jxn last year) we can still have fun. Definitely looking for twinish as well cause he likes to spin. I know a bunch of people who ride NS, those sound like good boards, also ive seen some good deals on the custom X blems from last year so ill go with whatever i find. also that big twin from north fork looks sick.

Low budget? Throw out most NS (unless you can find a good deal on a Premier F1 or something like that) as well as Burton. Also factor in warranty and overall construction.

Twinish? Throw out most tapered (as in more than a few mm) boards. Directional standard is probably the way to go.

Size? Depends. On a cambered board like an Option Vinson, you'll likely want to go bigger than a 161. On a extreme-rockered board like a K2 Gyrator (09s can be found for around $300), a low 160s may be sufficient althought it never hurts to go bigger.

Spadout.com is your friend.
    holy fucking shitballs

Whatsup kids, my little bro is coming out to Jackson this winter and wants to shred the gnar. he's a very good snowboarder but has a crappy park board, which cannot roll in the steep and deep. So i'm looking to hook him up with a good pow board that can also charge it. does such a thing exist? as a skier i have no idea so any recommendations are much appreciated. thanks
    Check: http://wyoming.craigslist.org/spo/
    Currently there is a Malolo 162 for sale, but don't pay extra for that "limited edition" "collectible" bullsh*t - they pressed many thousands of that board.

Get him something that is rockered

K2 Gyrator
    Rome Notch 1985
    Just about everything from Lib and Gnu is rockered

I picked up a 168 K2 Gyrator from geartrade.com for 200 bucks. It was demo'ed for a few days and practically mint.
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

Get that lolo! Check his boot size first to make sure he'll fit it- you need to find out the waist width and then what size his boot is. I haven't heard anyone who has ridden one say they don't really like them and they make the pow riding way easier.

I'm not a believer in rocker for the pow yet.

Options are similar to Never Summers- or rather, they were, I hear quality has gone down. Endeavors are also similar. Beefy charger boards, stiffer than average.

I have a 163 Solly Forecast for sale that would do well.

Fuck never summer their shit is WAY to Heavy, no pop. Get him a Lib tech, maybe the Phoenix, I have a lot of friend that ride that board and love it. Skate banana does the trick too, pow, park whatever. Stay away from NS though, too heavy, too damp, not fun at all unless you love a heavy ass board.

Trust Mervin Manufacturing