Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow in the PNW

Baker was well worth it today, especially considering the season we are having so far. Blue sky, no wind, good temps and lots of dry wind packed powder.

Meadows was much better than expected today.

I can confirm that baker was incredible today. As for the non-local carnage huckers, i have a feeling most of them actually consider themselves to be locals, since all it takes is a seasons pass and a bro who knows where the goods are. Their willingness to huck 40 to 60 ft to tomahawk is ok with me. I love a good rag doll

I would like to extend a large thank you to all the "locals" who threw elbows on the bootpack out the arm today. I'm sure your three runs of glory with the whole chairlift to see were great ego stokers. Your eagerness to obtain radness left a hell of a lot of sick turns with minimal effort required for those of us who chuckle at your stupidity in avy terrain (bombproof or not). Stopping in the middle of a convex roll-over, dropping in at the same time as your buddy, or going left when your partner goes right is pretty fucking stupid. But apparently that is the core thing to do these days
    smoke crack and worship satan

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
    I can confirm that baker was incredible today. As for the non-local carnage huckers, i have a feeling most of them actually consider themselves to be locals, since all it takes is a seasons pass and a bro who knows where the goods are. Their willingness to huck 40 to 60 ft to tomahawk is ok with me. I love a good rag doll

I would like to extend a large thank you to all the "locals" who threw elbows on the bootpack out the arm today. I'm sure your three runs of glory with the whole chairlift to see were great ego stokers. Your eagerness to obtain radness left a hell of a lot of sick turns with minimal effort required for those of us who chuckle at your stupidity in avy terrain (bombproof or not). Stopping in the middle of a convex roll-over, dropping in at the same time as your buddy, or going left when your partner goes right is pretty fucking stupid. But apparently that is the core thing to do these days
    It's cool bro, they were all on pontoons. You can ski any conditions on pontoons.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Word from BakerBoy was that Baker was a super carnage huckfest from a bunch of non-locals. Who's got pics?
    No pics, although it was pic-able. Someone did huck the retaining wall, or so I heard third hand.

I was a non-hucker. Someday I hope to be a local. Or to get to the tap room early enough to get a seat.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    No pics, although it was pic-able. Someone did huck the retaining wall, or so I heard third hand.

I was a non-hucker. Someday I hope to be a local. Or to get to the tap room early enough to get a seat.
    I saw someone go 80-100 on the arm today as I was getting off 8 to hike up. He was hanging in the air for a whiiiiiile. I also almost got hit by someone who came screaming at me out of nowhere on my way down. It's really unreal how dangerous people are out on the arm. I was in a not so safe zone and the guy dropped above me an literally almost hit me...it's disturbing. Had my turns not been so great I might have hunted him down and murdered him...probably should have
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

saw a couple groups taking pictures dropping the cliffs at gunners and a NASTY ragdoll towards the bottom of the canyon over some cliffs. Some guy in a sweatshirt snuck a line off the retaining wall. saw him in line later and he was maybe 15

It was a refreshingly beautiful day today. My friend took a hike while we skied. Here's a couple of his pictures. not much action, but he did what could for hiking in work boots.

this thread needs more stoke

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    I saw someone go 80-100 on the arm today as I was getting off 8 to hike up. He was hanging in the air for a whiiiiiile. I also almost got hit by someone who came screaming at me out of nowhere on my way down. It's really unreal how dangerous people are out on the arm. I was in a not so safe zone and the guy dropped above me an literally almost hit me...it's disturbing. Had my turns not been so great I might have hunted him down and murdered him...probably should have
    you sound too slow.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    The rest of the place was the usual saturday gape-fest.
    WTF was with the gaper fest this weekend? It was a clusterfuck of serious proportions. Jesus...

[:start rant\] Sunday night, mountain usually eeemmppty, but tonight, loaded with gapers, everywhere. 6'' of new on the ground, ok, this might be fun. Oh, wait. Gapers everywhere plowing heel side down every fucking line so they can say "I rode a black, it was soo gnar" meanwhile scraping that nice manky concrete back down to the ice layer. Lift lines... whole other story without a happy ending. What kind of formal training do we need to help these fuck nuts learn how to pair up and get on a goddamned chair. Like i said, its packed, esp for a Sunday, and ALL gapers. With the line spewing out the end of the ropes, we have fucktards watching empty chairs go around the loading zone in front of them. singles breaking out of groups to have their own chairs, 5 trying to load a quad all at once... Basically i'm trying to describe the Special Olympics of chair loading. it was that bad. Now, if we're struggling to get ON the chair, do I need to illustrate the clusterfuck of the offload. I don't think I do.

[:endrant\]

At least the skiing was good

What kind of formal training do we need to help these fuck nuts learn how to pair up and get on a goddamned chair. Like i said, its packed, esp for a Sunday, and ALL gapers. With the line spewing out the end of the ropes, we have fucktards watching empty chairs go around the loading zone in front of them. singles breaking out of groups to have their own chairs, 5 trying to load a quad all at once... Basically i'm trying to describe the Special Olympics of chair loading. it was that bad. Now, if we're struggling to get ON the chair, do I need to illustrate the clusterfuck of the offload. I don't think I do.
    It was definitely gaper city yesterday. I also enjoyed a shouting match with a liftie for cruising up to three people as a single, joining them on the chair, and having him run up to me, as I'm loading, yelling at me for "cutting my lines." I camly pointed out that there was nobody in line, as this was 3:45 pm, after which he changed his argument to "you can't just duck my ropes because you feel like it." Now generally I would restrict the term "ducking ropes" to skiing in closed areas. But mind you, this was in the completely empty lift line area, and I did no damage to his precious ropes that probably took him hours of strenuous labor to set up. Um...ok sorry I changed lanes to join three people getting on the chair you retard. He must have run out of weed or something. I've never skied anywhere with more power tripping, non-skiing, moron employees than Meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    It was definitely gaper city yesterday. I also enjoyed a shouting match with a liftie for cruising up to three people as a single, joining them on the chair, and having him run up to me, as I'm loading, yelling at me for "cutting my lines." I camly pointed out that there was nobody in line, as this was 3:45 pm, after which he changed his argument to "you can't just duck my ropes because you feel like it." Now generally I would restrict the term "ducking ropes" to skiing in closed areas. But mind you, this was in the completely empty lift line area, and I did no damage to his precious ropes that probably took him hours of strenuous labor to set up. Um...ok sorry I changed lanes to join three people getting on the chair you retard. He must have run out of weed or something. I've never skied anywhere with more power tripping, non-skiing, moron employees than Meadows.
    Even though I'm regretting it right now. The general incompetence of the lifties is what caused me to not get a pass there this year. Though T-lin has there own problems.
    Training for Alpental

Even though I'm regretting it right now. The general incompetence of the lifties is what caused me to not get a pass there this year. Though T-lin has there own problems.
    Yeah, I feel like they've gotten better in recent years and the resort in general seems to be making more effort at being friendly than they used to be (free cookies!), but that was definitely a regression experience. It baffles me that people, both gapers and psychotic ticket checkers, can't figure out how to get four people on a chair when the system naturally works itself out at more enlightened areas.

anyway! anyone know what its doing at baker and/or stevens today?

I'm sure somebody will have more details on this, but there was a big slide in Heather Canyon (Hood) today. I was at the mountain late, but it looks like control work set everything above Accordian Bowl loose. It ran all the way out over the snow bridge before you come up to the Heather chair. Here are a couple shots, but the light was completely flat.

Shot below is looking down from the middle of the runout toward the climb to the Heather chair.

The shot below is looking back up at the runout from the climb up to the Heather chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkin View Post
    anyway! anyone know what its doing at baker and/or stevens today?
    Baker was pretty good today. I was skiing on the groomers with my girlfriend, so didn't get to sample first hand, but looked like a few inches of windblown heavier snow that was still skiiing really well out on the arm. Off piste inbounds looked nasty, but actually it was soft enough that it was fun. Later this week the snow levels are supposed to drop to near 1000 ft, so any additional snowfall this week should be skiing awesome by the weekend.
    smoke crack and worship satan

Quote Originally Posted by 10% Groomed View Post
    I'm sure somebody will have more details on this, but there was a big slide in Heather Canyon (Hood) today. I was at the mountain late, but it looks like control work set everything above Accordian Bowl loose. It ran all the way out over the snow bridge before you come up to the Heather chair. Here are a couple shots, but the light was completely flat.

Shot below is looking down from the middle of the runout toward the climb to the Heather chair.

The shot below is looking back up at the runout from the climb up to the Heather chair.
    Wow...pretty crazy shit.
    Training for Alpental

Much better thread on the avy over here.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182308"]Massive avy in bounds Mount Hood Meadows - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

Apparently, it let loose around 7pm, naturally.

kaya is offline Im a registered something
    Meadows was pretty fun this morning, got pretty warm later on though...

Any hitting Meadwos this week?

^^^^
    drinking so early?

meanwhile back in the s. cascades it was brutal at 8k this AM w/ 50mph+ winds,snowing & getting colder.

kaya is offline Im a registered something
    Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    Any hitting Meadwos this week?
    Be there on Fri, Sat and Sun. PM if you want to grab turns.

A few new inches made our area a bit softer, still took off for the backcountry and glad i did, it warmed up - bluebird and skiied bootdeep goods

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanbob View Post
    this thread needs more stoke
    Yes.

Stevens on Monday. The spray is a few feet taller than me, and my take off was just above the opening in the top of the picture. This weekend(especially Saturday) was great.