Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dynafit Ridge boots (and bindings)

Be gentle. The search function isn't working all that well.

I've requested Dynafit Ridge boots for review. They've asked my size. Based on skimo.com the 26/26.5 is bsl 287mm. My Hoji Pro Tour size is 301mm so I'm guessing 27 will be my size. I was a 27 in Vulcan, Mercury, Khion.

Lifted directly from https://skimo.co/dynafit-ridge-pro-boots

While many boot manufacturers proudly stamp "130" on the side of their touring boots, it is no secret that many of these fall short of their alpine brethren that sport a similar number. With the Ridge Pro boot, Dynafit talks the talk and skins the skin track by providing a boot with exceptional walking mannerisms and burly downhill performance. At the heart of the Ridge Pro is the Hoji Walk mechanism, developed by Eric Hjorleifson himself, which virtually eliminates any cuff play that is found in many of its competitors. When combined with the carbon-reinforced cuff, the Ridge Pro offers a stout descending platform that can easily drive many skis through variable conditions. As with all boots equipped with the Hoji Walk mechanism, the Ridge Pro is quick to transition, making you the envy of your friends with clunkier, four-buckle boots. Featuring a novel Floating Tongue design, the Ridge Pro boasts an excellent range of motion that makes big days feel less big and more fun. Finally, the Ridge Pro uses the tried and true Dynafit Twistfit closure system that conforms to a variety of insteps, allowing you to achieve your ideal fit. Whether the day calls for charging a single lap before work or doing a 10K day, the Ridge Pro is always up for the adventure.

• Hoji Walk Mechanism allows for quick transitions and virtually eliminates any cuff play.
    • Floating Tongue provides a frictionless range of motion, allowing you to move easily on a big day out.
    • Twistfit closure system provides a secure and customizable fit atop the foot.
    • Vibram sole offers secure traction on slippery surfaces.
    • Perhaps the best ratio of uphill and downhill performance we have seen to date

And then specs.

• Weight
    • convert to ounces 1250g [27.5]
    • Weight (pair) 2500g [27.5]
    • Buckles 2 w/Twistfit
    • Boot Sole Length 287mm [26/26.5]
    • Binding Compatibility Tech
    • Cuff Rotation 70°
    • Forward Lean(s) 12°, 15°

Boot also got an ISPO award

https://www.ispo.com/en/promotion/is...ridge-pro-boot

Binding is out but not much chatter about it. I don't see anything really remarkable for me to request it unless I'm missing something. Thoughts?

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...ouring-binding and
    https://www.dynafit.com/ridge-binding-08-0000049571

Gapless
    RV 4-12
    Forward pressure 7mm ??
    Brakes
    2 risers
    410g
    BSL adjustment 25mm

double post - placeholder for pics

Really looking forward to the Ridge Pro boot review. Skimo.co initial take is very exciting.

Skimo had the first round but the next few boots should be arriving at stores pretty soon. I am thinking this might be the boot I move to after my Zero G Tour Pros die (which would be this season if I was skiing at all, stupid cuff pivot). Hoji lock, less than 1300 grams, skis beefier than 1300g, and a lower volume fit than the radical series? Sounds like a winner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Skimo had the first round but the next few boots should be arriving at stores pretty soon. I am thinking this might be the boot I move to after my Zero G Tour Pros die (which would be this season if I was skiing at all, stupid cuff pivot). Hoji lock, less than 1300 grams, skis beefier than 1300g, and a lower volume fit than the radical series? Sounds like a winner to me.
    yah I'm pretty stoked about the weight. Also the forward lean having the 15 deg option as opposed to my Hoji ProTours which are 12 deg. Also couldn't fit the Radicals which had this cavernous boxed toe. Supposed to get these mid Feb so will take pics, dork out on the tech etc etc

Still not entirely sure what to think about the bindings though.

Subbed.

I preordered as from Skimo. Not sure what ETA for delivery is but if I get them before Lee I can post pictures and initial thoughts as well.

Hoping I got my size right. Haven't used a Dynafit boot before but they recommended a 26.5 which is generally what I run across the board.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I was on a test version of the binding last year. Nice "All-Arounder".

-Easy mode change, as a lever decouples the twist from any spring tension.
    -Flippy risers are nice and refined.
    -Brakes locked by the rotation of the heelpiece (if I remember correctly) so they weren't popping down.
    -Zero gap with all that forward pressure stuff they do now.

I'm not the target demographic as I go brakeless and usually hard mount w/o adjustment tracks, but I would gladly ski the binding. Full-featured, relatively low weight.

Brainchild of longtime mag/lurker MattD.

I'm sure there are a lot of consistent release characteristics and other important features I didn't mention.

The boots look pretty nice, I have to say.

With the speed nose these fit the same as normal right? 26 ridge = 26 radical?

It almost looks like a speed nose but there appears to be a shelf at the nose so does it fit in other bindigns besides tech ??

In the past dynafit would not have been above that kind of stupidity ??

the weight figures are impressive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It almost looks like a speed nose but there appears to be a shelf at the nose so does it fit in other bindigns besides tech ??

In the past dynafit would not have been above that kind of stupidity ??

the weight figures are impressive
    Hopefully the shelf is just there for automatic crampons. This boot really shouldn’t be used in any binding that would require a toe lip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a couple setups with barons, fr+, 3 pair of tech so if there is no front shelf the boot doesn't work with half my setups

So if the hypothetical prospective boot buyer has a quiver of skis ( everybody reading this ) some of which require the boot fits into what he bought from you the hypothetical ski shop owner last year and every setup he owns, is he gona buy the boot ?

They went thru this with the Hoji pro

edit: In the market for skis & boots the #'s for what gets sold in America amounted to what they would sell in some euro country so NA was just not that important and i don't think this has changed ??
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-15-2024 at 03:21 PM.

YMMV but these days if I’m skiing a binding significantly more than 300 g I either want a non-tech heel interface OR an adjustable Freeride spacer e.g. like ATK (Who do it in a light binding, but the principle could be applied to Vipecs, Ions etc). It’s low hanging fruit for better power transfer but Dynafit didn’t look into it apparently?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Maybe I am also missing something, but I don’t really know who the target market is for the new Cruise and Ridge Bindings. “Easy to use” bindings that still require you to turn the heel tower 180 degrees to transition is kind of weird concept to me.

XXXer, pretzel juniper - Ive asked about the Ridge compatibility with Shift, Tecton, Kingpin etc. More curious than anything.

I'm kind of with Karl, frorider, jrainey about the Ridge binding which is why I'm lukewarm about testing it. Not sure what I or anyone could really say, If its heavier and there's some sort of safety or elasticity proposition (Shift, Tecton/EVO, possibly the new ATK) then sure there'll be something to review.

For me and my personal preference if it's a simple tech binding then it should be uncluttered, uncomplicated, light and reliable. eg Alpinist, MTN/Backland, Xenic

BTW , I've asked for Ridge marketing collateral and whatever stock shots they have and if I get the OK will post those

well personly I like a tech binding avec brakes but the real question might be what do the euro's like/ buy cuz that is where the money is ?

I think if you are making some kinda rando racing boot or binding and advertise it as such the speed nose & minimalist thing is fine

but if you want me to buy your freeridey type boot it better fit all my skis

Interested to hear thoughts on the liner and fit relative to other boots.

No info on last. Are they boats like every other touring boot in the last several years?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No info on last. Are they boats like every other touring boot in the last several years?
    Various sources say lower volume than Radical but maybe not quite as low volume as the TLT 5/6. Floating tongue is supposed to reduce volume in certain areas to fit various different feet, but I’m assuming won’t affect the forefoot.

I recall you have a pretty narrow foot so might not be the boot for you (but good news for me).

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I recall you have a pretty narrow foot
    Correct. It doesn't seem like any companies are very interested in providing touring boots that are actually narrow/low volume anymore which is why I only do powersports now

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well personly I like a tech binding avec brakes but the real question might be what do the euro's like/ buy cuz that is where the money is ?

This is euro mass market binding. Things that we don't really care about, like consistent release value (maybe should), are under the hood things in a binding like this.

Think of all the people who bought the full bodied radical at 650g or whatever, it's like that, but lighter and more futurized.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Correct. It doesn't seem like any companies are very interested in providing touring boots that are actually narrow/low volume anymore which is why I only do powersports now
    Scarpa Quattro

If the release values were more consistent than competing bindings, Dynafit would be marketing it.

I don’t think it will be a bad binding, it just doesn’t seem to have any standout features that most people seem care about. The Radical bindings seem to have been completely outcompeted in the North American market, and I don’t see how the Ridge is going to get that market share back.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    If the release values were more consistent than competing bindings, Dynafit would be marketing it.

I don’t think it will be a bad binding, it just doesn’t seem to have any standout features that most people seem care about. The Radical bindings seem to have been completely outcompeted in the North American market, and I don’t see how the Ridge is going to get that market share back.
    Don't shoot the messenger dude. I just know that binding engineers worry about these things. And in their little specific world of worry, they know who's better and who's worse. The market doesn't care about the nuances. They've already accepted a more dangerous binding as ok for general skiing.

Us TGR blowhards are the loudest segment of the ski industry, but the least consequential to Dynafit's bottom line. Sad but true.

Maybe we can just say the Ridge binding exists, it's probably good, it comes in rainbow... and then just keep the topic to the boots.