Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'd take a look at the Panasonic TS2. It's small, shockproof and waterproof to 10 meters. If you don't think you'd ever utilize the waterproof part there are probably quite a few other cameras that are cheaper and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'd take a look at the Panasonic TS2. It's small, shockproof and waterproof to 10 meters. If you don't think you'd ever utilize the waterproof part there are probably quite a few other cameras that are cheaper and faster.
    do you think the shock/water proof ones are necessary for protection from skiing?

how do you think the rugged's stack up- looking at the Pentax W90, Panasonic TS2, Olympus tough 8010, others??

I haven't researched them enough to tell you for sure. I've owned two different Panasonic cameras and liked them both. They make great cameras. I've heard good things about the Canon waterproof model, but I think it's getting a little old.

I don't think the ruggedized cameras are really necessary for skiing, but you know how it goes. You can get pretty wet skiing sometimes. However, I don't think I'd buy one unless I planned to actually use it for a water sport. I think you are trading off some camera performance for the increased protection.

for my money, the panasonics make the best point and shoots for action sports, just because of their burst modes. i had an older stylus (before they split them into regular and tough) and it was slow. same for canons i've owned.

my older tz3 gets 3 fps at the full resolution for like 5 or 6 frames. fits in the front pant pocket so it's ready to fire in 3 seconds after stopping. it's gotta be up in the 100k image range. keeping it the pant pocket also means it's always warm (when in Montana or such i sometimes add a hand warmer just to be sure).

just pulled the trigger on the TS2. seems that one gets the most performance in addition to the rugged body. the burst mode and lack of shutter lag and startup speed were also important considerations.

agree that its not necessary for skiing, but it will be awesome to not worry about dropping it or if it's snowing hard out.

Let us know how it works out for you!

i can now say that i am super pleased with my decision to get a rugged TS2. was just out in Jackson for a week, and compared to my friend who was babying his camera the whole time against the deep snow, i had no issues. i could use it with my gloves still on, not worry about dropping it. The battery held up all day to the -10F weather, and the best part is the 720p HD video is amazing quality, decent sound too. i held it in my hand for POV type shots, got tumbled in deep snow, etc. it stood up to everything. not having to worry about it is really worth it. the TS2 also has a high quality 3-burst (semi-fast) mode, and a low quality 10-burst (fast) mode. both were fun to play around with.

here's a clip i posted up in the Jackson conditions thread that shows the video (and snow!) quality. thanks for the suggestions everyone! i'm pretty glad i did NOT get a go pro...

[ame="http://vimeo.com/18513313"]Teton Pass 1-5-11 on Vimeo[/ame]

Another vote for the TS2

Hi,

I have a Canon D40 DSLR, Canon G9, a new Canon G12 and very recently a Panasonic TS2. I bought the TS2 primarily for a pocket camera while skiing and a camera to carry on my harness during rock climbs. I went with the TS2 over similarly rugged Pentax, Olympus, and Canon P/S due to (my perception) best IQ from various review sites; primarily DP Review & Imaging-Resource. It has an OK burst mode but not as good as the G12 and obviously nowhere as good as my D40. Burst mode is a key feature for getting good ski shots. Frankly, the jury is out on whether I miss too many shots.

One nice benefit of the waterproof feature is when you ski at a resort, it avoids any potential issue with condensation when you go into the lodge. Actually, my main interest in the TS2 was pocket-ability during skiing and dust/shock proof on climbs.

So far, I have been happy with the IQ results, here are a couple shots from a sidecountry day at Pebblecreek.

I have a week long 10th Mtn Tour in March. It will be interesting to see which camera I end up carrying for that trip.

Cheers!

[

I'm thinking of taking my Olympus MFT camera skiing next week. I've skied with point and shoot cameras before, but never with an interchangeable lens camera. Do I need to worry about condensation or any other issues going from inside to outside (hot to cold to hot)?

The camera isn't waterproof so I'll do my best to keep it dry.

I was planning on keeping it in an outside pocket or in a pack.

I've never dealt with condensation while skiing... Only in the South Pacific when I went from cold A/C to super humid heat.

I ski with GF1 and EM10 in a home made chest pouch very frequently. I don't have any issues with fogging but live in a very dry climate so it is not humid often indoors or out. I do have to be a little mindful to keep falling snow off the camera and out of the pouch, but generally cold enough that not too much melts on the camera. Then dry out when I get home. I haven't had any real problems except occasionally getting a little fog on the front of the lens and harmless droplets elsewhere.

Thanks. It doesn't sound like I have too much to worry about. I wonder how I got it in my mind that it was a problem.

Got a Sony dcs-wx 350 on the way. Hoping to use it for skiing and other activities.

Still thinking about getting one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231230107940...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

watch out for snakes