Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-13-77

What is it with the Dead and Phish, here?? I saw the the Dead in Seattle in '94. It was as trippy as I thought it would be...but not trippy enough to make me want to follow them around from parking lot to parking lot, state to state. Some pretty hot looking dreadlocked women, though. And foraging around that parking lot 'village' was my first introduction to Thai stick.

Okay...given the combination of hot dready women and Thai sticks and very tasty hash brownies, following them around for a few weeks back then might have seemed tempting...as they all DID seem like a traveling "tribe"....but years?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

spook Guest
    hey fake tonto, why don't you mind your own fucking business

well, it's kind of like licorice...
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    What is it with the Dead and Phish, here?? I saw the the Dead in Seattle in '94. It was as trippy as I thought it would be...but not trippy enough to make me want to follow them around from parking lot to parking lot, state to state. Some pretty hot looking dreadlocked women, though. And foraging around that parking lot 'village' was my first introduction to Thai stick.

Okay...given the combination of hot dready women and Thai sticks and very tasty hash brownies, following them around for a few weeks back then might have seemed tempting...as they all DID seem like a traveling "tribe"....but years?
    If all you got out of it was the lot scene, you seemed to have missed the most important part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418566505.542293.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	161433

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    well, it's kind of like licorice...
    Not everyone like licorice

5-13-77

By '94 things were falling apart. Still a circus and wild experience but you would have had a different feel for it even a few years prior. Some get. Others don't.

Phish was hot, (Imo), when the Dead were winding down the trip, ('92-95). Then they went downhill...at least for me. That marked the end of that era for myself.

Edit: I should add that part of the "what's with the dead and phish here" vibe is that folks that are into the music seem to congregate and are drawn to each other. Granted, I have only been to a couple phish shows since '96 but that common ground seems to be going strong within that scene too.

^
    Agree 100%. 93 was the tipping point for me. If both bands were within 3 hours on overlapping nights Phish won out 90% of the time. Post Brent the creatvity/energy just wasn't there on any kind of a consistent basis and by 94 it was a train wreck more often than not unfortunately. Hornsby kept things interesting and occasionally really good for a few years but the train stopped gaining momentum after summer 90.

Phish peaked musically between 95-97 imo but 93-94 was when they built their following by bringing it night after night and tour after tour.

For my $ nowadays Umphrey's is my first choice (jamband vein, jazz cats aside) with Mule a not too distant second. If you haven't checked out UM do yourself a favor and catch them next time they are around...unlike any other band out there right now and have a little something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Not everyone like licorice
    Well what about the people who do?

some of them cant hear dog whistles though

something that made phish super fun in the mid 90's, west coast, were the small venues. my first phish show, in 94, i was about 5 to 10 feet from the stage, front and center. the "worst" spot was about ~50 feet from the stage.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 12-15-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Well those people? They really like licorice

For obvious reasons, not many from '92 on are posted here but I think this one is well worth listening to.

The Dead Show of the Month Podcast resurrected this one for me. Most of the post Brent era stuff I listen to is a couple tunes here and there or a set of a show I was at, more for the nostalgic feeling. Start to finish is strong and the everyone but Bob was on that afternoon. Of course there are ups and downs and some goofs but all in all its damn fine music. If you're a Days in Between fan, this one is fantastic. They coulda picked a better encore but for the time..... This is a Jerry show, which is rare for here on out.

Maybe I'm off center on my opinion, (or recall having a blast), but for '93 it's awesome. As far as all the years combined, it's good.

There are other options out there for mixes. Find the one your dig.

https://archive.org/details/gd1993-0...w.98235.flac16

Not bad! Been listening to Spring 1990 mostly of late, but Jerry is really putting in a good effort at this show.
    But Vince just sucks. (RIP).

Yeah. Good musician but didn't really fit. Nice to find quality stuff towards the end...Vince or no Vince.

A few days ago, my local radio station was playing part of 5/28/77 (hot show!) and i realized that i sing all parts of terrapin (both the call and the response). does anybody else have that "problem"?

In case you missed the story about zakir: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/08/375637...-grateful-dead

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Yeah. Good musician but didn't really fit. Nice to find quality stuff towards the end...Vince or no Vince.
    He got the nod solely on his voice is the story I heard after rehearsals, from someone who has a 1000x more inside knowledge than I could ever hope to have. There were many better "players" who were brought in before Vince (T. Lavitz among others) that had a much better knowledge of the music/songs but lacked vocals...Vince had less chops and wasn't an organ player but the high harmony (non Weir falsetto) was more important in the grand scheme of things for the band and thus, he got the bench. Hornsby was the immediate first choice replacement (and a damn good one at that) but apparently he was never willing to commit for the long term and Vince fit all the needs better than anyone else.

spook Guest
    honestly I couldn't stand Hornsby. I remember him bringing his accordian out in Denver and I just wanted to fucking die. completely killed all momentum the band had.

Accordian aside, I think he energized Jerry and challenged him in ways nobody else in the band could sans Brent, for at least 90-91 and at times into 92. Listen to some of the pre space and other stand alone jams, especially on the Euro tour, a whole new dynamic was added with Bruce on stage, no way that happened with just Vince. No argument that the band started a slow creative spiral after Brent's passing (Phil has said as much himself) but I think Bruce slowed that spiral dramatically for a year or two.

NIce one Schwerty< way to move the dial, the Jack Straw opener sets the tone!

5-13-77

30 yrs of listening to the Dead and I just heard Two Souls in Communion for the first time. 3/23/1972 - Academy of Music, NYC

Some of the frail Jerry Peggy O's are pretty powerful

https://archive.org/details/gd94-06-...943.sbeok.shnf

5-13-77

That's a staple Peggy-O. The heat that day is something I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    30 yrs of listening to the Dead and I just heard Two Souls in Communion for the first time. 3/23/1972 - Academy of Music, NYC
    big on the Pig!
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

i've been going through show's, I was at.
    19 years old on a headful from a very trusted source, purple 1/4 moon face on yellow paper.
    good times, good times!
    this is a superb Matrix featuring krushing low end, Phil is all over this one.
    https://archive.org/details/gd1984-1...usborne.flac16

Jer-Bear!
    Fall Tour '84
    crab in my shoe mouth