Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crying in Argentina - F<&)(&ck!!!

Trip started great. Spring conditions in Los Penitentes.
    Marte open for the first 3 days in Las Lenas.

Arrived in Buenos Aires this morning. Cab driver from Retiro bus station left with ALL my luggage once I was downtown. No plates number, nothing.

The only thing I have is my passport, wallet and the clothes I am wearing now. No skis, no avy gear, no camera and no pictures.

The hardest things are the pictures...this really sucks.

Police report was made...wondering if someone/something can help get my rolls from my picture camera back.

Sorry for crying on the forums shoulder, but I'm lost right now.

Any recommadations (I know, I'm in BA, so that info regarding the social aspect is already taken in consideration)

Was considering hiring a PI, offer a reward, I know...hopeless.

Oh dude that sucks.

A black and yellow cab or a remise?

Just drove off from the kerb after you stepped out?

We once had a bag almost stolen from the cab rank shit show outside EZE by the guys "helping" to load the cabs. Other than that nothing but good to say about the many B.A. cabs I've used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Oh dude that sucks.

A black and yellow cab or a remise?

Just drove off from the kerb after you stepped out?
    A black and yellow cab. He didn't want my PESOS. Didn't have the letter on the money (WTF). 2 different ATM, 3rd location. He wasn't there anymore (parking was difficult).

How did he manage to do that??

I think you need to call the insurance company man. What a tosser!
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

Found this on the internet.

Very close to what happened to me, except the cab was in-line at the Retiro bus station and I didn't have enough money so I went to the ATM 3 times.

http://bigben.blogs.com/gapyear_trav...nos-aires.html

Not sure how my insurance is going to work here?

Mucho mucho gear. I need a drink and I need to look at some mugs shots at the Police station.

Fuck dude. Feel for you.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Wow, what a nightmare! Hang in there man..wishing you the best..

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    Was considering hiring a PI, offer a reward.......I need to look at some mugs shots at the Police station.

Sorry dude couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Suxors! Vibes & Good luck/happy hunting sent south!

file a claim with renters or homeowners insurance.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

F--k... You have my sympathy. What the hell is an argentine taxi driver going to do with a fat pair of skis and some smelly thermals ?

Guess you need to look at the bright side. At least you still have your passport, weren't robbed at gun point and it also happend on the way home. Not much consolation, but you lived to tell the tale - and hopefully the insurance will pay out. My fingers are crossed for you on that front - make sure to get a written police report and hopefully you should be covered.

South America can (sadly) be a dangerous part of the world - even the people with jobs are living right on bread line Have good friends who live in Buenos Aires full time, and they are incredibly paranoid about crime and personal safety... Makes you appreciate living in Europe / USA etc.

fucking ski stealing motherfucker,
    invest in some form of ice axe, and if you ever find him rip out his achilles tendon with it, figuratively of course
    ++++++++++++++++++++vibes+++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

The only thing that I'm extremely pissed right now is all the pictures I took (on film). Some extreme skiers walking around with plastic bag around his feet in the Las Lenas storm - Priceless (i'm keeping his identity confidentiel).

Pics from the road from Santiago and Los Penitentes which included the curzes and Portillo. Pics of the amazing terrain at Penitentes and Lenas. Many pics from LP to Mendoza...also a bunch in Mendoza itself.

Gear is gear...it's sucks.

Dude that sucks. Contact the embassy of your country. That's what they are in BA for!

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Dude that sucks. Contact the embassy of your country. That's what they are in BA for!
    Thanks ELA...I spoke to the embassy earlier today. I think I'm all cover in the things I can do here. The only thing I can still do is contact a hitmen in BA to get the guy and try to get my stuff back. HAve any names ELA? Hoping for a miracle...embassy and police have my coordinates. I have no illusion.

How the f*ck is this guy going to do with my stuff? Passing a pair of B3s with AT (Rossi/Naxo) in Buenos Aires. I don't know any maggots that would want these, do you? Even less here. See I still can laugh about the situation (i might be crying, not sure).

Okay, I thing I need a few Cervanzas

Insurance once I get home on Thursday.

Well, a JH local just died in Argentina, if that puts any perspective in place.

Good luck/Buenas Ondes!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

that totally blows man. i feel for ya. call your credit card to enquire about insurance or your travel insurance provider.

i had a similar experience (with a better outcome) in BA while I was trying to make change for a large bill to pay the taxi driver. we stopped several times as no stores wanted to deal with me. the last time i got out i took my backpack with me and he just took off.

it seems like there are so many situations like this when travelling. small amounts of trust in man kind are nessacary; 99 times out of a hundred it works out ok.

Thanks for the advice xyz...I know I have some extra coverage with my credit card, I know I'm paying for it. Never really looked at the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    i had a similar experience (with a better outcome) in BA while I was trying to make change for a large bill to pay the taxi driver. we stopped several times as no stores wanted to deal with me. the last time i got out i took my backpack with me and he just took off.
    Would have been hard with 4 bags, but I usually keep my backpack with the camera at all times. I didn't this time.

Change for a large bill or bills aren't good, any reason to try to ripe people off. There were a few red flags. Didn't notice a meter once in the car, then he didn't stop at the intersection I wanted to go. Mentioned that I should get mil(?). That sounded like a thousand... No F*cking way I thought, plus my card wouldn't allow me to take this amount of money here. Asked me if I had dollars.

Eventually managed to get an extra 100 pesos from the last ATM, came out but he was gone. There was a Cop at the bank door. Probably scared him off.

Posting for myself, but also as a clue what to look for others in the future. Should have called a cab at the bus station...but who knew. I knew there were scam and that I should go directly to the taxi stand. Got fuck there too.

Fuck, i'm freezing (only a small windbreaker) and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, a JH local just died in Argentina, if that puts any perspective in place.

Good luck/Buenas Ondes!
    Whhaaa??? News?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Whhaaa??? News?
    Not sure if this is the same person.

Person next door had to deal with Police report and stuff. He was a witness. Heart attack.

Definitely places things in context.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Dude... FACK!!! ++++Vibes++++
    pmiP triD remroF

-dna-

!!!timoV cimotA erutuF

-ottom-

"!!!emit a ta anigav eno dlroW eht gnirolpxE"

Helldawg Guest
    Wow man, that is terrible. I met you 2 years ago in Termas, you seem like a pretty nice dude who doesn't deserve to have gotten the shaft like that. Thanks for sharing and maybe helping others avoid the same pitfall.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Whhaaa??? News?
    http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=5006

Happened 2 weeks ago yesterday. He was a Jackson local, grew up in Boulder, 28 years old. Really good friend since 1st grade and a rippin skier and strong hiker. Also the person who got me into skiing. RIP buddy :'(

Vibes Jski...

Always send that gear is only gear, no matter how pissed I am right now (maybe I'm just pissed drunk, dk).

Here is another info on some of the Taxi Scam in BA:

http://landingpadba.com/taxi-scams/

That really sucks man. Like someone said before, at least you still have your wallet and your passport. Hang on to that wallet. Mine got picked in BA one time. Watch out for the little kids. Sticky fingered little fuckers.
    sigless.