Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I don't know any bartenders who are pulling $900 a week here in denver tho.
    I made that in a day tending bar in Park City during Sundance (granted, that's an insane-o time, those 10 days can make the season depending on where you're at, but can you pull off a really short skirt?). most winter nights easily over $150 and up.. I bet the DV rest/bar guys make good $$ too. summers aren't even that bad.

of course living in PC may help, but is more $$ than SLC typically - but you can live in kimball junct / summit park for easier access to skiing in LCC/BCC too.

I bet any of the bartenders at upscale restaurants. in SLC make bank too. Mkt street in cottonwood has some that have been there for years.

paging BumZ, since he knows about the SLC bar scene...
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Buy a pad out in gresham, thats 50 miles from meadows.
    For the love of God, don't consider moving to Greshman. It fucking sucks in every way. Seriously.

Portland in my opinion is a better quality of life and slightly cheaper than Seattle. Skiing wise, it's basically the same mountain weather (ie religious freezing level watching), and less resort skiing options, easily accessed winter backcountry, and terrain. Although the spring touring on Hood, Adams, and St. Helens (all within 2 hours) can be great. There are decent backcountry areas around here, they're just not as well known, and if you had access to a snowmobile your options would be very interesting. But definitely less so than Seattle ~2 hr radius. Although you might spend more cumulative time per week in traffic in Seattle than it would take to drive to Crystal from Portland. If you want to be in a fun city, decent skiing within a reasonable, repeatable day's drive (Hood), great skiing within 4-6 hours, and fantastic all round outdoor recreation in addition to skiing, Portland is a pretty good place to be.

If skiing is the sole factor, then Salt Lake is where it's at. I'm sure there is a good crew of outdoorsy, non-Mormon skier types you'd meet working the bar scene down there, but I'd be afraid more career oriented positions, with the exception of outdoor companies and resorts, would be pretty Mormon dominated and you'd be an outsider. Might hold you back career wise or be hard to meet your type in more business world jobs? Any SLC mags have input on that? Semi-thread hijack with this question.

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post

If skiing is the sole factor, then Salt Lake is where it's at. I'm sure there is a good crew of outdoorsy, non-Mormon skier types you'd meet working the bar scene down there, but I'd be afraid more career oriented positions, with the exception of outdoor companies and resorts, would be pretty Mormon dominated and you'd be an outsider. Might hold you back career wise or be hard to meet your type in more business world jobs? Any SLC mags have input on that? Semi-thread hijack with this question.
    It happens in some companies, and not others. It's more prevalent in some industries than others. My experience has been that it's not really an issue. I'm not mo, but I've done plenty of business with mo's who don't seem to care whether I am or am not. Some of my coworkers are and some aren't. It's the source of a little ribbing (mostly the non-mo's fucking with the mo's) but people get along and have a sense of humor about it.

I've really felt like I was out for not being mormon in one job interview out of many. And if a company doesn't want me for that reason, then fuck em. I wouldn't want to work there anyway. In any town, there are lots of companies whose culture doesn't fit you. It's just easier to pick them out here.

Overall, you'll probably see a little of it, but it really won't hold back your career and won't hurt you other than just making your blood boil about once every 5 years.

Terrace, BC!!! the Shames co-op could use a bartender i'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    It happens in some companies, and not others. It's more prevalent in some industries than others. My experience has been that it's not really an issue. I'm not mo, but I've done plenty of business with mo's who don't seem to care whether I am or am not. Some of my coworkers are and some aren't. It's the source of a little ribbing (mostly the non-mo's fucking with the mo's) but people get along and have a sense of humor about it.

I've really felt like I was out for not being mormon in one job interview out of many. And if a company doesn't want me for that reason, then fuck em. I wouldn't want to work there anyway. In any town, there are lots of companies whose culture doesn't fit you. It's just easier to pick them out here.

Overall, you'll probably see a little of it, but it really won't hold back your career and won't hurt you other than just making your blood boil about once every 5 years.
    Agreed. I'd have to say SLC. The access to prime skiing can't be beat. There are enough upscale restaurants and bars to tend bar and make good money. I was seriously thinking of moving there myself at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    I guess my friend is doing it wrong then. She lives in Cherry Creek, works one night a week at 1515, a 2nd night at a dive giving her friends free drinks, and will have the other 5 days to spend on the mountain.
    it isn't hard to spot the bars where you can make a killing.. i've been bartending long enough to know what your friend does is easilly possible. that is why i'll probably bartend till i'm 35. nothing like tax free income and 3 days off a week!

slc and denver are sounding more and more promising. thank you all for the help.
    Do you like apples?

I'm no fan of Boston in general, but 3 hrs to decent skiing is an upgrade from brooklyn. and you're almost actually in a city, unlike every other place that was mentioned in this thread.

sorry, but major cities = ny, tokyo, london, paris, mexico, sao paolo, los angeles / moscow. shit you read about in books, see in movies. not reno / slc / wherever the fuck. unfortunately, city life and ski towns are really not the same thing.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Hi john_i_am! I would second the "Boston" suggestion. A truly cosmopolitan city that is head and shoulders above anything you will find west of the Mississippi in all regards, the land of strip malls and franchise restaurants. You can hardly tell one place from another out there it would seem. And once in the Greater Boston area, you will swiftly ascern that the skiing within a short jaunt rivals many venues out west! You will discover such gems as Crotched Mt. and Wachusett that will not disappoint on a POW day. There is a plethora of other classic ski areas to sample as well.
    I also would like to take this opportunity to formally invite all the lurkers(and non-lurkers alike)to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. Come join the fun!

alpinezone with what's up!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I would like to extend an invitation to Denver, in Colorful Colorado. The best city in the west. Beautiful vistas to the west of the Continental Divide and the subtle plains to the east.
    Denver is a place that meets old west with the new west. Quirky alt rockers meld with cowboys who meld with hardcore skiers, all happily. The hip urban setting mostly young vibrant wealthy outdoorsy types. You can have you cake and eat it in Denver.

It's as close to living in the mountains without living in the mountains as it gets.

The closest proximity to the best, most uncrowded skiing. I usually leave Denver at 7:30 get to Winter park at 9:00 and shred untouched bounty till 4:00 . The smooth fresh powder goes all day long. I cant wait for winter.

Tahoe City

I considered the same choice over ten years ago. If the mountains are your draw... get right to the point and realize there really isn't a major city that fits the bill perfectly. Live where you want to be and figure out a way make it work. Local RE market is super soft with the low $300s back in play in TC and def in Truckee. Still not cheap, and your house isn't going to be all that sweet, but better than most major metro areas. Sure the same is true for other mtn locals as well. Sack up, you know what you want... go get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nose2fingers View Post
    I considered the same choice over ten years ago. If the mountains are your draw... get right to the point and realize there really isn't a major city that fits the bill perfectly. Live where you want to be and figure out a way make it work. Local RE market is super soft with the low $300s back in play in TC and def in Truckee. Still not cheap, and your house isn't going to be all that sweet, but better than most major metro areas. Sure the same is true for other mtn locals as well. Sack up, you know what you want... go get it.
    nice pep talk, confidence inspiring!

i think this winter will be full of ski trips to most of the places mentioned. also next summer i will also do the same trips and compare life after snow in these places.

thanks for the help
    Do you like apples?