Fly fishing for Carp (Denver or elsewhere)

Does anyone have any experience fly fishing for carp? I saw some guys with large rods down on the South Platte near 8th today...based on some research, I am guessing they are fishing for carp.

If you look online, there is some info, and a little while back there was a WSJ article. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this...I live right there, so it might be a good time waister.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I float the Missouri once in awhile below Three Forks. As much as I like tossing BWOs in an icy mountain stream, I have much love for chucking big wooly buggers and other hairy objects / streamers at foam lines in brown water. My best day I caught 2 brown trout over 24 inches each and a 7 pound carp.

I float the SP in town once or twice a summer with my kid but usually take out before it gets too hepatitis-y. I think something ugly in a size 8 would work for a carp/trout combo in town.

Or just get a cane pole and a can of corn.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

From what I have read, the guys at Discount Fishing Tackle off of Santa Fe are a good resource...I think I will go talk to them.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

The folks at Trout's on 6th Ave in Denver should have some info as they sponsored a Carp fishing tourney (www.carpslam.org) a couple weeks ago.

mmmm... turds.

Yeah I saw the article and stuff. Have any mags ever gone and done this type of fishing?

What the feeling on catching these things? Kill them? Was that the point of the tournament, to try to thin out the carp so trout can live? I want to get some of these buggers on the fly rod too.

I've done a bit of this - I think it can be really fun. Look for fish that are rooting around rather than those that are sort of sunning in a stupor. I would lead a moving fish by a few feet with a weighted bugger or some scraggly nymph. Allow it to settle and then give it a few slop hops. Much like fishing for redfish.

I am not aware of the specific circumstances in your area - but I cant think of any reason to kill what you catch. As far as I know, they should not be a signifcant source of competition for trout.
    "- but I'll leave that to people who actually know what they're talking about. " Why?!??! Its the Internet!!!!

slop hops = slow hops, obvi. lol
    "- but I'll leave that to people who actually know what they're talking about. " Why?!??! Its the Internet!!!!

They did not do it to kill them to make room for trout...carp do not compete with trout...it was to raise money and was put on by TU. They are hoping to raise around $500K over the next little while to make stream improvements below chatfield and turn that stretch of stream into trophy trout water.

Down stream of Santa Fe and Hampden has some nice Golden Bones in it. Take a 7 weight and some prince nymphs and have a blast!
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Down stream of Santa Fe and Hampden has some nice Golden Bones in it. Take a 7 weight and some prince nymphs and have a blast!
    Thanks...I think I may head down sometime this weekend. The biggest rod I have is a 9ft 5 wt...it has a lifetime guarantee...so we will see what happens...what size prince would you suggest? Thx

bump for carp fishing, got some in lake powell recently (on hard bait/spinning gear). those big lugs put up one hell of a fight. I will be in denver in a few weeks, hoping to catch some on fly and looking for some beta.
    believe me its real.

Fuck you for bumping this. I miss carp fishing.

Gross...

have had my 8-wt sitting by the door rigged for carp for the last couple of weeks and haven't gotten out yet. Maybe this week...
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Bump for Carp'n... just moved to the dirty D looking for some mags to go carp'n with...

I must admit...I failed at my attempt at carp fishing...but I am going to get into it for sure this next year, getting away to fish in the mountains is getting tougher...any suggestions for a cheap rod...what weight? I was thinking something like a temple fork....I think my 6wt is not enough...will also need a reel...but I have a feeling I won't be able to go cheap on that one....maybe find something used.

Billy, I would be down for some carp fishing...but I have not caught one yet. Tried once, failed...did not get out again. What weather is good weather for carp?? Am I wrong in thinking it needs to be warm?

Gretch I believe the fish are most active on cooler days... from what I have heard 6wt should get the job done.... But I am not sure, sounds like were in the same boat, I have been out once, and failed... we should hit the platte together some time.... two heads sort a situation

I think this guy is in the Denver area:

I think a 6 wt is right also.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Nice...I am in Billy. It is an S4, so it is pretty fast...should throw weight pretty well.

I will mail it in to Scott this weekend....someone broke the tip last year and I still have not got it fix...holy fuck, I have not even fished since last December!....I am fucking lame!

I have access to an old 6 weight rod, if you want to get out sometime in the next month...I would be down for sure...it is an old fiberglass rod though, so might be really tough.

I bet Scott could get my rod back to me in a month....fuck, why did I not send it in like anytime during the last 12 months???

I Finally got a chance to go after some carp, this was rio blanco res, west of meeker, co. I have come a long way in my fishing and learned a lot from you fine folks here on the fishing forum. I shutter when I see my earlier post about killing these fine creatures. 8’ 3wt, great experience.
    If it swims I want to catch it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR4236.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	115449
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR4214.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	115450
    believe me its real.

Awesome Poop. er wait, Nice Poop. That didn't sound right either, good job man, there. I used to chase carp a ton until I sold my boat a few years back, stupid mistake. They are so much fun to fish for and fight like nobodys business! Note to self, buy another boat asap.

Nice poop.

Anyone around Denver have time to get out and do some carp fishing in the next month or so? I am not able to really fish till after the 17th, but if someone is willing to take me out and show me the ropes, I will buy the beer! Got my 6wt S4 back and ready to hook into some carp this summer!

Thanks!