Fondled the new Gotamas

I was at Sturtevants this weekend for their preseason sale. Checked out the new Gots. Nice understated graphis. Rocker in the tip and tail, no camber but the tail seems less of a twin tip. Would love to take that ski for a test ride in some 2 feet of fresh.

Also lots of new K2 skis. Sidestash, Backlash, etc. Kind of a blending of the tour skis with their alpine skis. Will have to do some demoing this season.

Also picked up Freeskiers Buyers guide. They were giving the issue away.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm pretty interested in seeing how those new Gots are. Did you get a chance to flex it at all? I wouldn't mind seeing how these do this year, and maybe pick them up late season or next for a touring ski. Hopefully the rocker makes this do everything that they already do, plus super good deep pow pivoting and such.

I'm betting there won't be any late season Gotama sales this year. I'd suggest you buy early if they are a must have.
    Driving to Targhee

I skied the 176? length at stowe in 4 inches of fresh in march. super fun ski, stable, still carveable, really poppy, stomp landings. probably would be my go to east coast ski if i wasnt leaving.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Didn't flex the ski. Shop tech said the only major changes to the ski was the increased width and the rocker. But adding rocker to the Got is a big change. It was not subtle rocker either. I'm sure somewhere on here is a shot of the rocker on the new Gots.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Shop tech said the only major changes to the ski was the increased width and the rocker. .
    this is a brand new ski. It isn't the old Gotama. That being said having skied it for 1/2 a day I loved it. Enough rocker to give you the benefits but not enough to rule it out as an every day ski.

i skied it last spring and was very underwhelmed -though the conditions were marginal.

sorta did everything OK, but nothing great IMO. i feel like you either you want a ski to shred hardpack and low snow or you want a ski to slay pow. i suppose if you are only going to have 1 pair of skis, these would do well... but there are certainly compromises.

and my crotchety attitude may be due to conditions. so stick an asterisk in there somewhere.

and you shop tech is an idiot. its a fully all-new ski from the ground up. tip and tail shape, dims, core profile, flex etc etc etc are all different.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 09-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I think it is fucking retarded.

Who told you only the shape and rocker changed?
    New tip profile is dumb dumb dumb. It will plain on the snow ok and keep you on top right until it dips below the snow level for whatever reason, and then it dives faster then a broken submarine, which also happen to have the same tendency for staying at the bottom. I know some people who when trying it out thought that their mantras were better in soft snow.
    Overall I think it is a step down from last years gotama. May ski switch and do the freestyle thing a little better then last years, but overall you can find much better skis on the wall.

longshot but, anyone look at/ski on the 2010 Kikus (women's vers of goat, white)? wondering how much softer they are than the gots and how subtle (or not so subtle) the rocker is. I can't remember. It's been toooo long since I fondled 'em in May.

can't beat the gold goats of yesteryear

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I think it is fucking retarded.

Who told you only the shape and rocker changed?
    New tip profile is dumb dumb dumb. It will plain on the snow ok and keep you on top right until it dips below the snow level for whatever reason, and then it dives faster then a broken submarine, which also happen to have the same tendency for staying at the bottom. I know some people who when trying it out thought that their mantras were better in soft snow.
    Overall I think it is a step down from last years gotama. May ski switch and do the freestyle thing a little better then last years, but overall you can find much better skis on the wall.
    So, I gather that you didn't actually ski them?

I have at least 30 days on a pair so...
    Yes, it's a completely different ski.
    It's stiffer, more stable at speed, floats as well if not better then the last version I have which is the gold 07/08 model.
    Also, edge grip on this ski felt much more solid compared to the gold version. Pretty much everything you just said about the tip profile hasn't presented it's self as an issue. No diving, no tendency to stay on the bottom.

Length skied: 186 (which by the way is tip to tail the same length as my 190 Katanas, and gold Got's)
    Skier weight: 185
    Bindings: Dukes
    Region skied: PNW - Alpental
    Conditions skied: Everything from powder to hard pack, to Spring schmoo

PS. I own a pair of 09 Mantra's as well, it's not a better ski in soft snow.

I am not should have a few pair of 2010 Goats for maggots at a reduced rate.
    The KiKus are stiff for a chick ski (stiffer than soft BRO and Phat Luv). I have a pair of 170s. I would say that they are about as stiff as the old black Goats, and the rocker is very subtle (less than Lhasa Pow and DPS 120).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The KiKus are stiff for a chick ski (stiffer than soft BRO and Phat Luv). I have a pair of 170s. I would say that they are about as stiff as the old black Goats, and the rocker is very subtle (less than Lhasa Pow and DPS 120).
    A note on the Kiku's.
    My GF put in a lot of days on the Kiku in the later half of last season.
    From her perspective the Kiku is not stiffer the either the 08 or 09 got's (her primary ski prior to the Kiku).
    I can tell you for certain she preferred the Kiku over either previous version, in any condition, hands down.

Ski length: 170
    Skier Weight: 130
    Bindings used: Barons

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    I can tell you for certain she preferred the Kiku over either previous version, in any condition, hands down.
    Oh sure, but just how much of that was because they matched her outfit better?

(j/k H. )

So who can get me a line on the Gotama Jr in 148? Darn kids just keep growing.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Oh sure, but just how much of that was because they matched her outfit better?

(j/k H. )

So who can get me a line on the Gotama Jr in 148? Darn kids just keep growing.
    prolly 100% , er, I mean what the heck are you talking about...

Been on them, (a lot) and I would take Prophet 100 over them in any condition.

more on the Kikus...sorry for the thread hijak

Mmkkay...so, per Schindler and Alpen (or 2nd hand from Alpen's chica), relative flex for Kiku's:

Goats 08/09 > Kiku 09/10 > Soft Bros > PLs

This what you guys think? Does that make sense?

My experience w/ the 08/09 Kiku was it was def. a bit stiffer than the 08/09 PL, but not unmanagable by any means for a little chick of avg. rippin skillz (or at least that's what I thought...)

Is anyone a little bit unsure about schindler's assertion that soft bros are softer than the Kiku? I was a little intimidated about the prospect of some bros but the last yr's Kiku wasn't too stiff, I didn't think...

Did they change the flex for 09/2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    can't beat the gold goats of yesteryear
    Depends what you want. But not to hijack entirely, but I'll be putting a pair of these up for sale soon.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Just went downstairs and flexed both 170 KiKu and 174 Soft BRO. Neither pair mounted. The KiKu is a bit stiffer, IMHO. Not really a huge difference.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just went downstairs and flexed both 170 KiKu and 174 Soft BRO. Neither pair mounted. The KiKu is a bit stiffer, IMHO. Not really a huge difference.
    MUCHAS GRACIAS

was stoked on this ski, but it's no jibby enough for me. i think companies are afraid to put out continuous rocker/reverse camber skis because people will think they ski horribly on groomers (see spats), but i honestly think they will not. i mean they will ski horribly on the EC most likely. but in most western states the "groomer" is usually quite soft, and if you dig in a little, AND IF THE CONTINUOUS ROCKER IS MINIMAL, i think it should perform fine. as for its pow performance, i think continuous rocker is more fun than regular kink-rocker, as you can feel the entire ski; if you want to hammer a pow slash you can feel you'r weight transfer the whole way. i hope to get a continuous rocker symmetricalish ski this year, and am stoked to see how true my predictions are (after riding hellbents, praxis pows, praxis pow RX, 2010 kung fujas).
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96