Thread: Line Prophet 90 question

Line Prophet 90 question

Anyone know if there were any changes in the Line Prophet 90 from 2009 to 2010?

I need an everyday EC ski and I've been looking at picking up the 90s- price is only ~$60 more for the 2010s but I like the 2009 graphics better. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

For what it's worth... I need a ski that can hold on eastern hardpack and occationally dip into some fresh stuff. I have some 179 soft Bros... but they're too soft for the hard stuff (that and/or my technique sucks). From what I've read the Line 90s are the right choice- Mantras maybe... but too much overlap with the Bros?
    "Go Balls Deep!"

I skied 90's and 100's the past few years on the east, I'd go with 100's. They ski almost exactly the same as the 90's except when you're in pow, then you notice the difference. I don't know why but I overall liked the 100 a lot more. I have moved on from both though because as great as they are, when you start to go fast in pow they definitely hook because of their insane sidecut. For what you're talking about I think they'd be perfect, I use Moment Tahoes for that now as well which I love, either would do you very well

I tour on BC100's now and they still amaze me every time I go on groomers, the 90/100 series is a great EC one ski quiver
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I skied 90's and 100's the past few years on the east, I'd go with 100's. They ski almost exactly the same as the 90's except when you're in pow, then you notice the difference. I don't know why but I overall liked the 100 a lot more. I have moved on from both though because as great as they are, when you start to go fast in pow they definitely hook because of their insane sidecut. For what you're talking about I think they'd be perfect, I use Moment Tahoes for that now as well which I love, either would do you very well

I tour on BC100's now and they still amaze me every time I go on groomers, the 90/100 series is a great EC one ski quiver
    Ideally... I'd buy the 90s and get a wider ski (Lhasa Pow 186) for out west/big EC days. Gotta do one at a time ($$$) though...

The reason I'm thinking the 90s... I do a lot of skiing with my kids... don't ski that fast... I just think they'll be easier to handle at the slow speeds- less weight.

...but then if I really knew... I wouldn't be posting.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Ideally... I'd buy the 90s and get a wider ski (Lhasa Pow 186) for out west/big EC days. Gotta do one at a time ($$$) though...

The reason I'm thinking the 90s... I do a lot of skiing with my kids... don't ski that fast... I just think they'll be easier to handle at the slow speeds- less weight.

...but then if I really knew... I wouldn't be posting.
    Well as EC slower speed groomer/all mtn skis the 90's are great, that's pretty much what I used them for, just cruising shitty mtns and having a blast. You should really enjoy them, they're great skis
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Anyone know if there were any changes in the Line Prophet 90 from 2009 to 2010?
    Yes same exact ski other than topsheet graphic and base color. For what it's worth if there's any doubt in your mind, i'd go with the 100s. Almost as nimble, and more versatile. Might be a little quiver overlap with the bros, but the same argument could be made if you got the 90s. Either way, there is no difference between last year's and this year's. I'd also stay away from the mantra's. They're oversized gs skis. If that's you're sort of thing, than go for it. But based on what you're describing, i'd stay away.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

If I were you I would stick with the 90 and build on your quiver. A line up of prophet 90, 179 soft bros and a future addition of lhasa pow will cover almost any scenario's on the EC (except death ice). I ripped the 90's when I worked in NYC and had to ski those shitty little CT hills. It will be quicker edge to edge (slightly) and be a little easier to handle at slower speeds skiing with the kids. I don't think they have changed the 90/100's for a few years (3-4) except for the graphics, both skis seem to work well.

I think you would have more options by adding the 90 as the hundo's advantages would fall into the performance of the bros. If you didn't have the bros or were going to sell them I would go with the 100's.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    If I were you I would stick with the 90 and build on your quiver. A line up of prophet 90, 179 soft bros and a future addition of lhasa pow will cover almost any scenario's on the EC (except death ice). I ripped the 90's when I worked in NYC and had to ski those shitty little CT hills. It will be quicker edge to edge (slightly) and be a little easier to handle at slower speeds skiing with the kids. I don't think they have changed the 90/100's for a few years (3-4) except for the graphics, both skis seem to work well.

I think you would have more options by adding the 90 as the hundo's advantages would fall into the performance of the bros. If you didn't have the bros or were going to sell them I would go with the 100's.
    +1. I picked up last year's 90's leftover for 325 while I was in Ogden. Will be a go to ski for EC trees and under 4" fresh. Got the Coombas for deeper goods. Still looking at a fatter option for out west.

I'd go for the 90s. I've skied both in Minnesota. I actually only took a few runs with the 100s here but I really thought the 90s blew the 100s out of the water on the midwest ice. I can only assume that the ice coast would be a better fit for the 90s most of the time.

thanks guys... I appreciate all the advice.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Line Prophet 90 vs 100

My regular ski here in Colorado is 179 Line Prophet 100. I have some chatter when edging on very hard snow which may be due to Naxo bindings. I have demoed the 179 Line Prophet 90 and felt it did noticeably better on the hard snow but it felt like a different ski compared to the 100. The guy at the ski shop pointed out there appeared to be difference in the length of the 179 Line 90 versus the 179 Line 100. My impression is that the 179 length with Line skis does not correspond to a 179 from another ski manufacturer. Also the 186 Prophet 100 is not as quick turning as the 179 so depending on your intended use you may want the shorter length. I have been very happy with the 179 Prophet 100 as I ski a lot of trees at the local hill, and have only felt I wanted more ski when skiing at a bigger resort with more open runs. (So I bought a 186 Prophet on ebay for those conditions). By the way the Karhu Team 100 is same as Line Prophet 100 and you can usually find a good price on the karhu as most people don't associate that ski with the highly rated Line Prophet 100. Line sells a ski called the Blend which is very similar to the Prophet 100, maybe no metal, usually sells cheaper? Another ski that fits in the niche you are looking at is the Blizzard Titan Argos (100 mm) or Blizzard Chronus (88 mm waist). Not having skied either, but my guess is these would be stiffer,maybe more suited to hard snow.

I got the 90 last season and really wish i had the 100 now....

Still a sick ski but i wouuld like it to be a bit fatter.
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

Go 100s. Ice blows regardless of what you have on your feet so why bother picking a ski that will be "better" on ice. Still just a variation of misery. I ski the 100s as my everyday ec ski and never once wished they were thinner - although often the opposite. Don't let the 100mm waist fool you. They are crazy easy to ski in all conditions. Was not surprised to see some posters who have the 90s wish they went with the 100s. You may find the same but up to where you ski/your own ski style. Although not suggesting you don't build your quiver...

...and to address your original question - I may be wrong but I don't think the construction of that ski has changed over the past 3+ seasons.
    Uno mas

I think my Karhu Jaks (similar to 90s) are the bees knees in pow, but I wish I had a 179 instead of the 186 because to me they ski longer than I expected.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I've skied both the 90's and 100's pretty extensively the past two season and I prefer the 90's for most days on the east coast. I have wider skis if the snow is softer. If this thread should tell you anything it's that both the 90's and 100's are killer skis and you can't go wrong with either.

I just want to piggyback on this thread which I have learned a lot from....I just have a couple more questions.
    1) I am 6' 230lb, so I was wonder if anyone else was around my size and enjoyed the skis? I ask because in one of the magazines it said "bigger" skiers experienced some shaking.
    2) I am leaning towards the 100's. Any recommendations on types of bindings? I haven't bought a new pair of skis in years, all my used ones have come with bindings, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm not quite as big as you, 6'1, ~190, but I loved them (P100's). I never wished for something skinnier, wider if anything. I had mine mounted with STH14's. Worked well. I'm sure anything with din of 14+ would work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shpride View Post
    I just want to piggyback on this thread which I have learned a lot from....I just have a couple more questions.
    1) I am 6' 230lb, so I was wonder if anyone else was around my size and enjoyed the skis? I ask because in one of the magazines it said "bigger" skiers experienced some shaking.
    2) I am leaning towards the 100's. Any recommendations on types of bindings? I haven't bought a new pair of skis in years, all my used ones have come with bindings, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Get 100's if you get one of the prophets, and for sure get the 186. I had them a couple of years in a row a couple of years ago. They are so damn easy to ski, but they get noisy and jumpy when going too fast in crud and chopped. It is just hard to imagine people having trouble skiing the Prophets at all. They ski shorter then most companies at their size.

Don't listen to the stupid magazine reviews, either.

Fix the problem and get some Motherships...for your size, it is a MUCH better ski. I am 5'10", 205lbs and I LOVE my moships. They actually run longer then the other lines, and the 185 Moship is very much in line with the 190 Katana length wise.

Do not be afraid of the waist width on the Motherships. They are my everyday ski, and they kill it 100 times better then the Prophets on hardpack.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Thanks for the advise! I will check out the Motherships before buying. I hadn't even thought of them.