Thread: Sierra Summit?

Sierra Summit?

Tell me about this little hill near Fresno. I've been asked to scribe a review and could really use your insider tips.

What are three good things and three bad things about it?
    Is it really super-ghetto?
    Is there any place to eat, drink or sleep at the mountain?
    What's the ski school like? Family-friendly?
    Race program?
    Anything to keep a good skier entertained?

(this is particularly tough to think about since watching "Swift" this afternoon)

sierra summit impressions

This was my home hill for many years before moving to Colorado. Best snow quality is during the storms of course. Open runs and small bowls make for good powder days. There is a part of the hill with short steep tree skiing but it does require a lengthy traverse to return to lift. There is also some nice low angle tree skiing for intermediate skiers. Limited eating facilities on hill (the lodge has cafeteria/bar upstairs with nice sundeck and ski rental shop downstairs). There is lodging at the base area run by the ski resort which also has a restaurant inside, there are some condos across the lake, but most stay in Shaver Lake (1/2 hour away) or in Fresno. It is a typical family ski hill where a lot of people learn to ski, and there are many snowboarding teens, but no way "super ghetto"?! Great skiing (very uncrowded) mid week on a powder day. I got more 18" to 36" days each year there compared to what I see in Colorado. Sierra Summit is actually in the same San Joaquin river drainage as Mammoth Mountain but no road connects the two. The grooming is excellent even on the steeper runs (no moguls allowed) which makes for good corn days (even mid winter) and also when there is 6" to 12" of powder, you are not bouncing off bumps.
    Some people tour OB to Red Mountain from the top of lifts. There has been an annual tele weekend in mid March with demos etc. Season passes have been ridiculously cheap.

Fantastic!

Thank you very much for this very helpful information. I have just a few quick follow-up questions:

Quote Originally Posted by neige777 View Post
    There is a part of the hill with short steep tree skiing but it does require a lengthy traverse to return to lift.
    Does this stash have a locals name?

(no moguls allowed)
    For real??? (Sounds like it'd be perfect for x-over.)

There has been an annual tele weekend in mid March with demos etc.
    Is this well-attended? When you say etc, does this mean competition and races, or just clinics and lessons hosted by the resident instructors?

It may be on the same storm path as Mammoth, but doesn't actually get the snow as SS tops out where Mammoth really begins. Average base 4-5', with a short season to boot. If you know anything about the attitudes of Fresno youth, you'll understand the vibe on the hill (park rat city, similar feel to Boreal). Bud light cans are littered under the lift in the spring, with butts filling inbetween the gaps. Little to no respect for a fellow slider, just go down academy (the main mountain green run) and watch the mix of learners get pushed over by assholes who are doing it because 'they're in the way.'

Lot's of tough guy types there, intermixed with families. Mountain services are ok, a couple decent perks do exist, i.e. you can return your pass within 1-2 hours if the conditions are shitty for a voucher, they used to 'sell out' on tickets to keep lift lines down (probably a marketing ploy, whatever), cheap pass and good ski bus deals from Fresno for day trips.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

bump for names