Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Maggots, school me on this MTB thang

I know a fair amount about road bikes and used to ride a lot, not so much these days. I want to check out this whole MTB thang and I don't know beans about anything - frame geometry, suspension, brakes, etc.

I want to get a used, lightweight, general-purpose bike that leans on the side of agility and playfulness over DH plow-tanking through terrain. In fact, I have zero interest in getting a 45 pound bike that I'll have to drive or chairlift uphill to have an enjoyable day. I plan on riding my shit uphill before dropping in. I only weigh a bit more than 130 so it's good to stay on the lighter side of things.

In terms of what kind of terrain I'd be riding, I have no freaking clue. I live in Berkeley and obviously there is a lot of cool shit around here and in Marin County as well. And obviously there is a lot of cool shit from the Peninsula to Santa Cruz and in Tahoe.

I honestly won't be riding on it very much so I'm not looking to spend a lot of coin, just something decent so I can kind of hang with buddies who don't do the road thing or want to get off the road.

How much money should I budget for something like this? I'm hoping to scour the Bay Area craigslist and maybe local bike club email lists to find something ... but I don't even know where to start!

Thanks maggots, I know this is a pretty wide open thread that is well-responded to with UTSF, but shit, I don't even know what to search for!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

You sound like you'd like a sub-30 lbs. bike with 5" of travel. The Giant Trance x2 is a solid bike, but there are lots out there. You'll probably need to spend $1500+ for a new bike.

If you plan on doing the fun stuff in Pacifica, Joaquin Miller (Berkeley), or Side-O (Berkeley), or make an occasional visit to Northstar, you might want to step it up to a 6" travel bike. There are a number of 6" travel bikes that weigh ~30 lbs. and pedal well. You'll probably need to spend $2000+.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    In fact, I have zero interest in getting a 45 pound bike that I'll have to drive or chairlift uphill to have an enjoyable day. I plan on riding my shit uphill before dropping in.

you may be a good candidate for a hardtail, which would be cheaper.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165881"]FS 2007 RMC Slayer 30 - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    shameless, i know, but it'd definitely get the job done. not as light as you're looking for (low-mid 30's i think), but with the rear shock lockout it's easy to get up and a ton of fun coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yep, I was thinking a cheaper, light hardtail would serve the needs just fine. 5" or 6" of travel (and $1500-2000) is overkill for someone who wants to ride- as it sounds like- recreationally and not too serious for the time being.

You might even want to look into a 29'er hardtail. Either way, just go visit a few bike shops and ride different models until you find a manufacturer you like and that fits well... then if you're looking used, check CL to see if you can find a good deal.

Thanks guys. I always feel guilty about checking this kind of thing out in a shop when I have pretty much no intention of buying from them.

I'm not trying to knock DH too much but it's too specialized for me and too much $$.

Dual suspension with lockout sounds dope. How much would a used lighter setup range?

Is mtb 8, 9, or 10 speeds thse days?

Also, if I ride a 54 cm road frame what size makes sense for mtb?

Thanks folks!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    It always amazes me how many 'rad' 'hardcore' 'freeride' skiers around get the MTB equivalent of skate skis. Just sayain....

ha lyf i hear you, i don't see the appeal of pedaling something uphill if you can't bomb it down and catch some air. it's the same as the duke vs. dyna argument. if the only reason i'm going up is to have fun on the dh, i definitely want something to handle it. the way i see it, a heavier bike is just a better workout on the way up.

I ride a 54cm road bike and have allways ridden size medium Mt bikes.

It varies, but Mtn bikes typicaly come in small, med, large. Most manufacturers have moved away from seat tube (number) based sizing.

You seem like you would like a XC bike - 4" of travel front and back. You can pretty much count on the geometry matching its intended use so a 4" travel bike will be set up to climb really well but less stable at high speed rough stuff. You have great xc trails in your back yard too. To me the progression is as you want to do more gnarly stuff you get more travel. Plus it would feel more like a road bike.

Size = Small
    Hello darkness my old friend

A hard tail would certainly work on a number of trails around here, but it would also limit your options. A lot of stuff would be either impossible or significantly less enjoyable. I grew up riding hardtails around here and it's certainly doable, but, personally, I think a 5-6" is worth the investment (unless all your friends have hardtails).

As for a 29er, I think you (Alex) should try one out first. I don't know if, given your size, it'd necessarily be all that comfortable for you. Maybe a 26.5?

Not bad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1326707550.html, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1315934125.html

Incidentally, Giant is demoing bikes at Northstar this Saturday. They might have XC and trail bikes in addition to FR and DH bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleYellowFriend View Post
    It always amazes me how many 'rad' 'hardcore' 'freeride' skiers around get the MTB equivalent of skate skis. Just sayain....
    Well then you should have no problem or amazement since I am not rad, hardcore, or even a skier. In fact, I wear spandex to ride my bike, drink soy milk in the morning, and eat tofu. Good enough for you?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    As for a 29er, I think you (Alex) should try one out first. I don't know if, given your size, it'd necessarily be all that comfortable for you. Maybe a 26.5?

Not bad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1326707550.html, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1315934125.html
    I don't even know what those numbers mean! 26.5, 29, 30 .. what is that ...
    edit: is that wheel size? Us roadies are really posh and arrogant with our metric sizing.

Man, this is going to be hard ... those giant bikes are out of my budget. I was thinking more like $800 to $1200 used. I just bought a dSLR "instead of a bike" but then realized I could sell my classic lugged frame Italian road bike for $450 to finance the MTB project.
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 08-17-2009 at 01:48 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    ha lyf i hear you, i don't see the appeal of pedaling something uphill if you can't bomb it down and catch some air. it's the same as the duke vs. dyna argument. if the only reason i'm going up is to have fun on the dh, i definitely want something to handle it. the way i see it, a heavier bike is just a better workout on the way up.
    See, here's another clown who thinks that heavier is stronger/better. Not so, you can have a shit pile of fun on a hardtail or a 5" bike. If you're a newb to Mt biking chances are you will not be going fast enough to need a big bike. I'd look into that Slayer, more bike than you need but more forgiveness when you fuck up.

Duke vs Dynafit pfft, I'll take the Dynafits every time. I've had mine for 6 yrs of hard skiing & hucking and they're still going strong. (I bought them used).
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I don't even know what those numbers mean! 26.5, 29, 30 .. what is that, wheel-to-wheel distance or something?

Man, this is going to be hard ... those giant bikes are out of my budget. I was thinking more like $800 to $1200 used. I just bought a dSLR "instead of a bike" but then realized I could sell my classic lugged frame Italian road bike for $450 to finance the MTB project.
    The 29 and 27.5 (the "26.5" was a typo) numbers are wheel sizes. The long time industry standard is 26", but a lot of people like the 29" size. 29ers purportedly roll better while 26ers purportedly corner and accelerate better, as I understand it. More bike manufacturers are beginning to split the baby by offering 27.5" size.

I'm sure you can get a decent used bike in that price range. It'll probably take a little patience and research though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    absolutely.

people suggesting 5" travel bikes are going overboard and mis-reading Schralph's post.

someone from a roadie background, not wanting to plow -- that screams hardtail, lightweight hardtail, maybe a 29er. as always I suggest 29er SS for maximum bang-per-buck.

ectreeskier said something about "catching some air." I'd wonder why he thinks you can't do that on a hardtail. I guess he doesn't ride with many skilled riders. besides, nothing Schralph said in his OP suggested he's looking to play Hucker-Wannabe.

someone else mentioned 27.5/650B wheels. I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding that format. it's the Betamax of MTBs. as far as I know, there's only 2 tires available for that size wheel, and you're not likely to find a lot of LBS's carrying 650B rims, tubes or tires. besides, the differences between 29er and 26er are not so huge that it makes sense to split the small diameter delta with a new rim size.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    I ride a 54cm road bike and have allways ridden size medium Mt bikes.

Thanks, pardon the silly question for a moment but what is your height and shirt sleeve length? Only reason I ask is because dhelihiker knows how big I am and he said small.

I'm 5'8" with 33" sleeve ... I feel perfectly locked in on my 54 cm Cannondale and felt great on Trek 54 cm bikes as well.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Schralph... check out the Specialized XC, probably in a medium (I rode a 54cm road bike and have a medium Specialized). That's what I ride, and I've had great luck with it over the last 2.5 yrs = no major problems. 4" travel in the front/back, middle-of-the-road in terms of weight, and its easily within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    people suggesting 5" travel bikes are going overboard and mis-reading Schralph's post.
    AKBruin happens to know where I live though and what's out here. I feel like Dhelihiker's idea is the best compromise, especially if XC setups have a locking rear suspension?

I never knew the diff between XC, WTB, DS, any of that stuff. Great advice in here. I'll probably drop by Performance and Mikes Bikes this week ... I'm starting to have a better idea of what I might be looking for, which is a lot further off than I was this morning so thanks for the advice.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

AKBruin happens to know where I live though and what's out here. I feel like Dhelihiker's idea is the best compromise, especially if XC setups have a locking rear suspension?

I never knew the diff between XC, WTB, DS, any of that stuff. Great advice in here. I'll probably drop by Performance and Mikes Bikes this week ... I'm starting to have a better idea of what I might be looking for, which is a lot further off than I was this morning so thanks for the advice.
    I'm just saying that based on your self-description, you ought to avoid FS bikes. Nothing you've said about yourself suggests a FS bike is the best fit for you.

No doubt when you go look at them, they're going to look cooler than a hardtail as most FS bikes look more moto and most guys I know are concerned about looking sufficiently badass whenever they're doing something like riding a bike or skiing.

However, most roadies I know are hundreds of times happier on a hardtail, the only exceptions I know are people who are in their 50s and older.

I think the comments suggesting FS reflect the commenter's personal preference, more than they reflect what would be best for you.

aright i'm not looking to start an argument, i'm just of the opinion that a 6 inch bike is super versatile and fun. i ride differently than what schralph is looking to ride, but to me the slayer is a ton of fun. i would never buy a hard tail xc bike, but someday when i have some money, i could definitely see myself buying a dj or hardtail freeride bike, as well as a bigger ~7" freeride/ss bike.

The Slayer is a ton of fun. I just happen to agree with Uncle Crud that the OP living in Berkely and riding nice fast smooth trails mostly in the Bay Area with occassional trips to Tahoe would find a hardtail to be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    My recommendation is based not only on Schralph's post but knowing him personally and riding locally. In my limited opinion and experience, a ~5" trail bike maximizes one's options around here, which is a good thing. It'll allow him to figure out what kind of riding he likes--XC, trail, or FR/DH--and go from there rather being tracked into a certain style. In my mind, a 5" trail bike is about as safe an investment as one can make. Yeah, Schralph comes from a road background, but I also know that he likes to snowboard fairly aggressively. He might just end up liking the more aggressive side of mountain biking. I know I did, having faced a [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152429"]similar dilemma a half-year ago[/ame].

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Well then you should have no problem or amazement since I am not rad, hardcore, or even a skier. In fact, I wear spandex to ride my bike, drink soy milk in the morning, and eat tofu. Good enough for you?
    Well, I wasn't talking about you specifically "schralpmachio", but that said, if you are not into Freeride what the he'all are you doing on this site?

Even so, I can't tell you how many great skiers i know, even semi-pros who make movies and shit turn into absolute pussies when they get on a MTB. As if dropping 1' water bars is "getting air" Uncle Crud? Be serious.

The weight argument is stupid. Sure you can probably do the fun stuff on a light bike, but how much fun is it if you break the damn thing the first time you case? Some things are heavier so they don't break (unless you are Uncle Crud who is so rad he can Freeride on a xc bike because he is so rad)

The much more important thing is geometry and suspension design (or lack therof). I'd much rather ride a slack 4" then a gay ass steep 7" any day. Bit hey that's me.
    Last edited by LittleYellowFriend; 08-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    You sound like you'd like a sub-30 lbs. bike with 5" of travel. The Giant Trance x2 is a solid bike, but there are lots out there. You'll probably need to spend $1500+ for a new bike.

If you plan on doing the fun stuff in Pacifica, Joaquin Miller (Berkeley), or Side-O (Berkeley), or make an occasional visit to Northstar, you might want to step it up to a 6" travel bike. There are a number of 6" travel bikes that weigh ~30 lbs. and pedal well. You'll probably need to spend $2000+.

Giants are definitely worth checking out.

After having been out of MTBing for about 5 years (and feeling similarly clueless when shopping around) I picked up a Reign 1. I believe it has pretty much the same geometry as the Trance but with more travel (6"). It's been great. Climbs well (29 lbs) and I'm amazed at the kind of stuff I ride down. Check the reviews on MTBR.com.

Budget was an issue for me as well but luckily found a left-over 2008 for about $1800. I've seen the 2009s for $2200-$2500 but they do have some nice upgrades to both the fork and the rear shock.

(TREK Fuel EX8 might be worth checking out too...is more like the Trance in terms of travel)