Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!

Clif Bars vs. Lara Bars

After a while all the flavors of Clif Bars taste the same. Recently they have some new flavors out, ans they're pretty darn good.

I've been hooked on Lara Bars for a while. There are certain flavors of these, images below, I could survive on for days if I needed to.

What about the ingredients? Clif has a long list of stuff, and it all sounds good. Lara Bars have three, four, five ingredients in total, all based on dates, and everything else raw and unprocessed.

Latest good tasting Clif Bar:

68 g bar, 210 calories, 60 calories from fat.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Soy White Chocolate (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Cocoa Butter, Soy Flour, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Macadamia Nuts, Organic Soy Butter, Organic Macadamia Nuts, Organic Date Paste, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt.

Favorite Lara Bars:

Left is Pistachio,
    51 g bar, 210 calories, 90 from fat. INGREDIENTS: Dates, Pistachios, Cashews,

Right is Cherry Pie:
    48 g bar, 190 calories, 80 calories from fat. INGREDIENTS, Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Cherries.

Clif Bars cost about half what the Lara Bars do.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post

Comments?
    I dont need to restate what you said.

Im a clif bar advocate for taste and energy
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post

Comments?
    Make your own Lara Bars. Go to Costco or where ever and get some pitted dates and peanuts and whatever else in bulk. Go home. Add said things to food processor with a pinch of salt and grind everything up. Press into a brick using some plastic wrap and a couple of cookie sheets. Insert into fridge.

Cut off however much you want from above brick of goodness. Go biking/hiking/skiing/fishing and when you're hungry eat your own homemade energy bar that costs less than 1/2 the price of any other bar out there.

PS: There are other recipes out there for other bars, but I've found homemade lara bars to be the easiest and best. But yeah, if I don't have any of that stuff made up I go with Cliff Bars. Lara Bars are too expensive for what they are.

edit: edited for less douchebaggery
    Last edited by Frontier Psychiatrist; 07-31-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    I dont need to restate what you said.
    exactly what I was thinking...

cliff bars are where its at
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

luna bars give you boobs.....so buy em for your lady friends
    Carry on my wayward son...

The Peanut Butter Clif Bar was the most disgusting thing I have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    luna bars give you boobs.....so buy em for your lady friends

My little bro gave me 3 boxes of luna bars that were left over from a gear show.

I've been eating them latley.

When do I start lactating???

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    When do I start lactating???
    you tell us, so we can stay away...

so, 1. don't confuse the lara & luna bars. not the same thing. both girlie names, different ingredients.

2. the lara bars are way better for you. I won't eat those luna bar or cliff bar things made with a shite ton of processed crap.

If you make 'em yourself, as stated above, they're cheap, too.

edit: for typos

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    so, 1. don't confuse the lara & luna bars. not the same thing. both girlie names, different ingredients.

2. the lara bars are way better for you
    1. Agreed.
    2. Agreed.

FYI for the do it yourself crowd hre, throwing a peeled pineapple, strawberries, pitted cherries and some fresh OJ in a blender is the same thing as some of the Naked Juices, ... without the 'gentle pasturization', too.

I heard a nutritionalist on the radio talking about Cliff bars. He was saying that a cliff bar is almost identical to your body compared to a snickers bar, except the snickers bar doesn't dehydrate you. So now I just eat snickers because they taste better, and they work great as an energy bar.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisp [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract, Calcium Carbonate], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Dried Apricots (Apricots, Evaporated Cane Juice, Rice Flour, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Organic Dried Apples, Organic Date Paste, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Salt, Colored With Annatto.

ahhh hippies always moving to the next coolest thing in a never ending cycle of consumption

I picked up a few Kind bars this weekend, and in my informal taste test while hiking, I say they are the clear winner, Mango Macadamia = very good.

I agree with the Snickers vote, and although I like the Lara bars, I find it is far less expensive and easier just to eat a couple of handfuls of dried fruit and nuts. Seriously, why does it need to be in bar form?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I agree with the Snickers vote, and although I like the Lara bars, I find it is far less expensive and easier just to eat a couple of handfuls of dried fruit and nuts. Seriously, why does it need to be in bar form?
    Ease of delivery. Sometimes you just want to keep going rather than having to stop. Bars make that easier than fumbling with some dried fruit and nuts. Of course, that doesn't really apply if you're riding lifts or just hiking.

I do the snickers thing for skiing... there's something about the chocolate... and mostly use clif bars just for biking.

I don't really know much about nutritional side of things, but both a snickers and clif bar are going to break down to glucose. I wonder if the brown rice syrup and all that are more unrefined, thus requiring more time to break down and therefore giving a longer lasting energy boost than the (perhaps) more refined sugars in a snickers. But whatever, eat what tastes good and keeps you going, that's what's most important.
    Last edited by Frontier Psychiatrist; 08-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Cliff Bars taste good... if they would replace soy protein with whey or casien, that would be a lot better. Soy protein is a key ingredient in metapausal drugs aimed at increase estrogen production... may be over picky but not something I want to ingest.

What jondrums said.

My BC skiing/hiking/climbing trail food: Snickers, cheese, crackers, solid Ghirardelli chocolate (if I'm feeling ambitious and not worried about it freezing and breaking my teeth... this is important for the Snickers too), and maybe some salami. Plus GU.

If I'm going with "bars": Luna because they taste better. I've been waiting for bigger tits, but they haven't grown in yet.

For high intensity stuff: GU, Sport Beans, and maybe some bloks from time to time, but I don't like the blok consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

No comments on the Kind Bars, www.kindsnacks.com ?

They taste (crunch, texture, distinct flavors from fruit and nuts) better than all the others I've tried so far.

bump to mention a pretty damn yummy bar i picked up at a booth at Targhee Fest saturday, the Clif Mojo, mountain mix version. Sweet/salty. Almonds, peanuts, raisins and choc chips. Chunks, not ground up into some pasty bar thing. 70% organic, and tastes suspiciously like real food.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    bump to mention a pretty damn yummy bar i picked up at a booth at Targhee Fest saturday, the Clif Mojo, mountain mix version. Sweet/salty. Almonds, peanuts, raisins and choc chips. Chunks, not ground up into some pasty bar thing. 70% organic, and tastes suspiciously like real food.
    If you liked that, try the Mojo Peanut butter Pretzel bar. I like it better than most candy bars.

Cliff came out with Crunch bars to compete with those Nature Valley bars. The white chocolate macadamia bar was killer.

Yeah, I can't touch the original Clif bars (they don't taste like much of anything) - but their new bars that look like GORP in bar form are pretty freaking good. I won't buy them, but when I get them free they are tasty.

I tried some of the Clif Granola Crunch bars this weekend, yes the white chocolate macadamia was killer.

Since writing this thread, the Kind Bars are at the very top of my list. They're not easy to find, few places carry then, and they're not cheap. But worth every penny.

When you can find then, the Sesame and Peanut is crazy goodness.

Pro Bars.

Pricey but damn they're tasty.

I like Larabars for backcountry snack, they don't freeze like cliff bars do. And they taste better. I also like the make your own idea, gonna have to give that a try