Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    I like Larabars for backcountry snack, they don't freeze like cliff bars do.
    Was just about to say the same thing. Larabars stay reasonably soft in the cold. Cliff bars feel like I'm going to chip a tooth when they are cold.

I like luna bars, does that make me gay?
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

best cost on the larabars is allstarhealth.com, I think it's like 1.09 per bar (17.50 per case of 16). Shipping is like $6.00 flat-rate so if you buy other stuff it makes it worth it.

FWIW- the smaller size clif bars are much more convenient.

I keep a couple bars (lara or cliff) in internal pockets to keep them from freezing. i also use Accelagels for quick pickups although they do contain HFCS, they do work well.
    Be more like your dog...

Just saw these

Clif C bars?
    Clif C Bar Fruit, Nuts and Sea Salt Ingredients
    Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Apples, Macadamia nuts, organic apple juice concentrate, organic lemon juice concentrate, organic cinnamon, Sea Salt, Natural Vitamin E.
    Be more like your dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I like luna bars, does that make me gay?
    I don't think the bar itself could do that.....
    Be more like your dog...

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBound View Post
    Just saw these

Clif C bars?
    Clif C Bar Fruit, Nuts and Sea Salt Ingredients
    Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Apples, Macadamia nuts, organic apple juice concentrate, organic lemon juice concentrate, organic cinnamon, Sea Salt, Natural Vitamin E.
    The Clif C bars are really good. A little more foo-foo than Lara bars.

All the bars (Clif, Lara, Clif C, etc.) periodically go on sale for $1/bar at the grocery store. Wonder if this is just a regional thing?
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

good healthy discussion- having tried em all and liked them all i will rank them
    you fools left out odwalla bars- they are teh shit

for skiing-
    1snickers
    2odwalla
    3cliff
    4larabars- ripoff!

i like the idea of making you own- lets get a more specific method then grinding em, packing em and colling em-but perhaps it is that simple
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Has anyone actually tried the Kind bars? Whenever I find then on sale I snag a few boxes.

I eat the Clif Mojo bars, they're decent. I used to LOVE the cherry pie Lara bar, but burned out on it, now I can't eat it.

Nobody Famous, if we haven't yet figured out that you like Kind bars, we're either blind or ignoring you. You've posted at least 4 times in 2 pages looking for validation. Yes, I have eaten Kind bars, and they are tasty. But IIRC, they're simply not as good for you, and not great for energy. A HUDGE amount of their calories come from fat. For ex., the sesame and peanut bar you mention has 15g of fat!!! And some of it saturated fat.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    good healthy discussion- having tried em all and liked them all i will rank them
    you fools left out odwalla bars- they are teh shit

for skiing-
    1snickers
    2odwalla
    3cliff
    4larabars- ripoff!

i like the idea of making you own- lets get a more specific method then grinding em, packing em and colling em-but perhaps it is that simple
    ODWALLA RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I eat the Clif Mojo bars, they're decent. I used to LOVE the cherry pie Lara bar, but burned out on it, now I can't eat it.

Nobody Famous, if we haven't yet figured out that you like Kind bars, we're either blind or ignoring you. You've posted at least 4 times in 2 pages looking for validation. Yes, I have eaten Kind bars, and they are tasty. But IIRC, they're simply not as good for you, and not great for energy. A HUDGE amount of their calories come from fat. For ex., the sesame and peanut bar you mention has 15g of fat!!! And some of it saturated fat.
    I suppose I am looking for validation. I'm also trying to figure out who is buying them. The company that makes them (PeaceWorks) is doing well, and the warehouse grocery stores where I buy them are consistently sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    I suppose I am looking for validation. I'm also trying to figure out who is buying them. The company that makes them (PeaceWorks) is doing well, and the warehouse grocery stores where I buy them are consistently sold out.
    dude they tastes fucking good but are pricey and trendy. Its like eating a granola bar but they didnt grind everything up...not super "healthy" but damned tasty...

Im looking forward to pillaging the booth at summer or in a couple weeks...since its like 2 blocks from my office...i plan on going down daily for a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    I bought them for a while, they started out WAY too expensive but the price came down. But they didn't hold up well (crumbled in a pack) and they didn't provide me with the healthy energy I look for in a packaged energy bar, so I stopped. Still good, but not really an energy bar.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Clif Bars . Read up on soy protein isolate, shit is more processed than Wonderbread. IMO Lara bars are the best option out of anything on the market because they're simple and usually only sweetened with dates. But they're far inferior to homemade. HOMEMADE IS THE WAY TO GO for sure.

I make this at least once a week.

In a medium to large food processor, pulse the following until fine:
    -3 cups raw walnuts
    -1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    -1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder as cheaper alternative, or carob powder)

Add 1 cup pitted medjool dates (fresh from bulk) to processor and pulse until dates have mixed well with the ground walnut/cacao powder mix.

Now for the finishing touches: 4 TBSP Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. This stuff is the ultimate tits. The opposite of something that makes your dick soft. Add to processor and pulse until it's all uniform. You may need to use a mixing bowl and spoon to achieve the final mix.

I've been broke lately and have replaced the dates with maple syrup. Not as good but still legit. The above recipe has been my staple sweet treat since I gave up sugar. You can use any nut, but I find pecans and walnuts work best because they're so flaky. Cashews, sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, and almonds work OK too.

Photo examples of ingredients:

Cacao powder

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Medjool dates
    Last edited by arewolfe; 08-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Coconut oil is used as a ... personal lubricant. I learned this form some hippie chick years ago.

I mainly use Cliff bars but I'm going to try some of the other stuff mentioned here. Cliff used to have two flavors, gingerbread and spiced pumpkin that were really good. Inexplicably they discontinued them. I called them and asked why and they would not elaborate.

Lara Bars 66¢ apiece.

Head's up for Lara Bar fans.

Whole Foods has a coupon good for $1.25 off any two LARABAR or JOCALAT Bars good through 10/31, here http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/coupons/. Scroll halfway down. That brings the price down to about 66¢ per bar. You won't find them any less expensive than this.

Print out a bunch, you can use one coupon for every two bars you buy. I stocked up today.

I was flipping through a Men's Health magazine from earlier 2010, and in their "Eat This, Not That" article they compared Cliff Bars to Lara bars and said you should eat the Lara bars.

Arewolfe thanks for the homebrew. How do you parcel them out then, just wrap up bars in saran and refridgerate?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I dig the Lara Bars. New Peanut Butter Cookie and Peanut Butter/Choc chip flavors are good adds too. Thanks for the heads up about Whole Foods.

When I lived in Reno, I used to LOVE these, http://freshenergybakery.com/index.html

A bit pricey and they came in a two pack. They had a bunch of different lines of bars and some great flavors.

I will usually get whatever is on sale at any of the area King Soopers. Can find either Cliff or Lara bars for as low as .88c/each when the dates get up there at the stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Had my first Lara bar this weekend (peanut butter cookie), it was dam good and best of all I wasn't confusing the chewed texture with sawdust.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Terry Sky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Pro Bars.

Pricey but damn they're tasty.
    i agree it

Tried the Lara Bar recipe above ... few notes

- Way too much cocoa for me
    - Turned into a paste that was way too oily for bars or keeping shape
    - Didn't have much fruit taste

Nevertheless the stuff is coming out with me for 5 days of hiking this week

Found some information from this blog on lara bars, going to try them for my next adventure

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.c...rs-part-3.html
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

^^^ Holy shit I'm a gaper. The recipe is actually 1/2 a cup of cacao powder. Not a full cup, Doh! Sorry.

Tye1: I personally just leave it in a medium size ceramic bowl and eat it by the spoonful. If you want you can mush it into whatever shape you want (cookie or cube, etc) and put it in the fridge. The coconut oil will make them harden into the consistency of the store-bought bars.

They will soften back up into a brownie mix-like texture if the temp goes above 65 or 70F. Great with milk.

So I just tried a ProBar (for breakfast) based on recons in this thread. Pretty damn good, and damn expensive, $3.29 each! Yikes. Interesting ingredient list in this.