Road/Mountain Biking around Mammoth in March?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this seems redundant from the last post, but this question is a little more specific. I'm looking for some local info from anybody around Mammoth about riding in March. Is there any riding around Mammoth (desert floor) in March? I'm trying to put a trip together out there with my wife, but am sure that she's going to want to enjoy a little warmer weather if available. Thanks in advance,

Seth

For Mountain Biking there is Lower Rock Creek trail, and Wagon Wheel, both run between the sherwin plateau and the Owens valley, there is also a little bit of riding out in the Tungsten hills outside of Bishop but for the most part snow covers our in and around town trails. The road riding down in Bishop is quite nice, some good loops that cover anywhere from 15 miles to 80 miles on pretty uninhabited roads. Lots of fairly flat stuff as well as a some grind it out climbs if thats more your style. If you are mainly coming for the riding wait till the summer but if you are looking to mix it in with some snow sports March and April are great multi-sport months.

Colin,

Thanks a ton man. That is super helpful. Can you recommend any bike shops that might rent mtn and road bikes in or around the area? Thanks again,

Seth

Agreed with Colin- everything at altitude will be wet or covered in snow in March, but the Bishop area should be nice.

For mountain rental, Footloose in Mammoth Lakes has by far the best selection.

Unfortunately in March none of the shops have any of their rental bikes, and none of the shops carry road bikes for rental. Footloose and Mammoth sporting goods usually have some rental bikes ready to go by about the second week of May, but in March or April your best bet would be to try and borrow a bike from a mag. If I wasnt moving in september you'd be more than welcome to take my bikes out for a spin.

What's wagon wheel?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Its a rocky little trail that goes from Swall Meadows rd down to the corral just above paradise, good early season DH run.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
    Its a rocky little trail that goes from Swall Meadows rd down to the corral just above paradise, good early season DH run.
    Damn I've never even heard of it.

Where's swall meadows road?

Sounds like parallels rock creek then?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

When you drive up Lower Rock creek road from Paradise, its the only turn off between paradise and the top, left hander that runs over to swall meadows. The trail is short so a lot of people just do a bunch of shuttles on it alternating drivers. It follows the old wagon trail up the grade and has some cool semi-slick rock high speed sections on it.

Trail starts at the big red arrow

Oh so THAT'S what that is.

Yeah I've seen that before and always wondered.

I've ridden down the last half of rock creek in the dark so many times from working too late. That's a good one to know since it won't take as long to climb up the road.

Thanks man. Shoot me your number again, I'll give you a shout next time I'm in town.