Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.I.P. "Captain" Jack Carey

Sadly my (and your) good buddy Captain Jack Carey died today near his home by a motorist on Lizard Head Pass. The details are scetchy at this point but I wanted the Freeskiing world to know about this tragic loss. He will leave a HUGE hole in the community here in Telluride and in the entire skiing world as a whole.
    First chairs and powder snow forever in heaven my friend!

Leave No Turn Unstoned!

more on jack carey

http://www.telluridewatch.com/pages/...es_left_column

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=32496 123"]Telluride Mountain Man - Jack Carey Video by Plum - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=32496123@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@mys pace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@32496123[/ame]

Just got a call. So Freakin Sad!!!!
    Last time I saw Jack he was riding his bike in Ophir.
    He had a propensity to get crazy and have fun, making his loss even greater in this serial world.
    His presence on the freeride circuit was inspiring.
    I'll never forget watching Kirkwood security trying to wrassle him off a golf cart he was going to drive down the stairs next to Red Cliffs Lodge.
    RIP Jack.

FKNO

RIP Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

Damn. My first comps were the canadian circuit. While Jeff Holden was always the head judge, there was no one more inspiring and passionate than Captain Jack.

That guy was more stoked on everyone giving'er than anyone else.
    What an amazing human being.

"who needs a scarf when you have a beard!"

FKNA Captain.
    Rest in peace.

Sad day

Captain Jack will be missed immensely. A definite true mountain man. I'll miss running into him on the best pow days on chair 9, beard filled with pow, smile beaming. Seeing him coming down the south facing slopes of Ophir solo on a perfect March day on alpine gear. And of course his accent. As I got to know him I was blown away by the all connections I made with the folks in CB who all knew and loved him from the road, AK etc. I can imagine the immense joy flowing through him on this magnificent day today in the San Juans. Moments before finishing his stay with us on this earth he must have felt so strong charging up Lizard Head Pass. He must have felt absolutely alive zipping up the pass on a road bike at 60+ years old. Life is tenuous at best lets enjoy every second. We will miss you Captain Jack. Rip in Peace -DH

man lived up to how i wish to live my life. RIP to someone i wish i had had the honor of meeting.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Damn, that sucks so bad. Captain Jack was such a character in the ski world. Someone who will be missed by all. RIP

Sad news. It sucks to lose someone who had so much enthusiasm for big mountain skiing.

I found a photo of Jack running the start on a super chilly day at Red a few years back.

Rest In Peace.

Fuck. That sucks.

Cap't Jack was one of a kind. Poor bastard not long ago was pasted riding his motorcycle, recovered well enough to mtb at 60, and now this. Probably not how he would have chosen to go out, but not entirely unexpected I guess.

Truly a loss for us all. Whether you knew him or not, Jack affected your life for the better.

RIP Jack.

Jack was one of the good ones.

RIP Captain.

RIP, and vibes to those left behind.
    not counting days 2016-17

Just found out after being away from the computer. He will be missed at Red. He was the one who introduced my family to Red many years ago after we met him on a ski trip in Colorado. Rest in peace.

I worked with Jack at Telluride Sports. You just knew, from the moment he walked in the door....all the way through his great stories and passion for the mountains, that he was an original.

RIP ol' Cap'n
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Knew him from T-ride sports and different industry events, not real well but he was always smiling and nice to everyone. RIP.

http://www.telluridenews.com/article...2504453205.txt
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

He will be missed

The captain will be missed. I always enjoyed talking to him, skiing with him and having a beer with him. Condolences to his family and his many many friends.
    deeppo

Sad to hear of another bright light going out.
    Thank for that clip, a nice tribute.
    Vibes to All that knew him
    and the unfortunate young driver, must be very hard to live with, may Jacks spirit light his way.
    prohibition is the opposite of liberty
    "...the ski patrol brought our poles down to us, & were buyin' us beers. If we did that in the states they'd take our gear & put us in jail.
    It's so much nicer to be in the real land of the free." Shane McConkey

may you bask in the cacophony of onehanded applause
    like the sound of crystal falling gently to the trees

Jack was the perfect dude to have as the starter during freeskiing comps. I used to really dig his vibe during the several comps that I did where he was the starter. Here was this older dude with the massive beard and you could just tell that he enjoyed being the one to send the young gun skiers off on the most intense runs of their lives. To me he was a calming influence in the starting gate. I also liked watching him instill confidence in every competitor by sharing a few well chosen words. He knew most of us by name and he had a way of calming you and pumping you up at the same time.

My condolences to his wife, daughter and friends.

RIP Jack, and thanks for your service to the freeskiing community.

aw shit, this is too sad.
    I had many a good laugh with Jack ( and a few beers too) here in Fernie. What an inspiring man. I won't forget riding the chair with him and commenting how the graphics on his Volkls must have been custom made for him. That brought a big smile.
    Definitely a true mountain man.
    RIP Captain Jack and my sincerest condolences to Monica.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

This sucks. I saw this guy a few times around telluride, you could tell he lived life to the fullest just looking at the dude. Now I know for sure.

Also sucks for the driver. It is unfortunate, but it was also just slightly refreshing to finally hear about something like this where it wasn't some drunk asshole.

Jack was an original bad ass. I was talking to him one day while he had been standing around at the top of a freeski comp in minus crazy cold for hours. I asked Jack how he could stand out in the cold for so long without his toes freezing off and he replied with his classic new hampsha logic "if ya can't feel em, they don't hurt!"

Good bye to one of the most passionate skiers anyone ever met!

Quote Originally Posted by Powow View Post
    Also sucks for the driver. It is unfortunate, but it was also just slightly refreshing to finally hear about something like this where it wasn't some drunk asshole.
    i was thinking the same thing.

totally sucks that he has to live with this. kinda fucked up really, that a great guy has to go out and as he goes he scars a young person for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    man lived up to how i wish to live my life. RIP to someone i wish i had had the honor of meeting.
    that sums it up right there

Sad news. That guy was an inspiration. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times at Red Mountain. He was quite a character... one of those guys who just seems to have more fun than anyone else. His beard was legendary. He told us that he hadn't shaved since the early 70s, and the only time he ever trimmed it was once when he accidentally lit it on fire.

Thanks for everything you did for freeskiing, and as str8line mentioned, the kind words in the start gate. Rest in peace, Captain.

Legendary beard is legendary.