Question Recommended rehab exercise for an ankle sprain?

About 3 months ago I completely jacked my ankle in a MTB wreck. I couldn't put any weight on it for 12 days. Another week of getting motion and another week of recovering strength and it was 85%. Since then I have rode 75-100 miles a week on dirt and it is still at 95%. The large muscles feel fine its the little stuff that feels week and still small amounts of pain and instability.

Is it just going to take time?

Should I get some kind of balance ball?

What did your PT consist of?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Hello darkness my old friend

Around 8 years ago, the PT I did included writing the ABCs and stuff like that. I also used thera-bands to work on the muscles in all directions. The thing that I found the most challenging, and that also helped with the small muscles the most, was standing on the injured leg only and having someone toss a ball with you (once it becomes easy, then have them toss it off to either side, but still somewhere that you can catch it without moving your feet) . It forced me to use all the little muscles in my ankle so that I could keep my balance. The other thing that is sometimes surprisingly difficult after a sprained ankle is standing on only the injured foot with your eyes closed. It takes away your visual cues for balance and forces you to rely only on the muscles.

Good luck with your recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by wandering, not lost View Post
    Around 8 years ago, the PT I did included writing the ABCs and stuff like that.
    I've heard this from several PTs. In cursive

I stand on a skateboard and flex my ankles. I also tell people this is a great way to strengthen lower leg tone and balance.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

go walk around waist deep in a pool. seriously

its fuckin 104F here right now, im gonna go get in the pool
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Great link for the NYT article. Thanks for posting SCUTSKI!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Great link for the NYT article. Thanks for posting SCUTSKI!
    No prob. When I saw that article, I thought it was super cool. Glad to pass it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

wow that video in the NYT link pretty much answers the question eh?

How perfect, thanks!
    Hello darkness my old friend