Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobile site?

Mobile site?

TGR forums are the slowest loading page on my iPhone by far. Any chance of a mobile site?

Hopefully soon. Long list of to do's though.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Any updates on this? I came here to post the same question and figured I'd search before starting a new thread.

The forums are soo slow on the iPhone.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

tags!

As a recent convert to the iPhone, I would love to see a mobile site. Once the site loads, I find that it goes OK- since it is mostly text based anyway.

However, a mobile forums only page would be great.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post

However, a mobile forums only page would be great.
    Yes it would be great.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

use the PDA mode to browse:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/

it's a few minutes behind, but otherwise much lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    use the PDA mode to browse:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/

it's a few minutes behind, but otherwise much lighter weight.
    Thanks f2f...that format is much lighter, but, backwards in time, have to jump to the end to find the most recent posts. Not sure how much faster/easier it is than struggling thru the normal version.

Guessing tgr is trying to figure out which web/browser features to add, how fast and at what cost. Not sure what an iPhone based version would even look like???
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

there are "light" styles/skins for vbulletin that work well for the iphone, i've heard, here's one example:

[ame="http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=171947"]iPhone / iPod Touch Optimized Skin - vBulletin.org Forum[/ame]

it should be an easy add to the list of styles we already have.

i don't know why you're seeing the archives "oldest first". for me page 1 is the latest stuff (minus a few very recent posts) and page 184 of ski/snowboard is the stuff from 2004... perhaps a setting in your profile?

Get. The fuck out.
    Have sled, will travel.

Screw the mobile site. I'm getting some snazzy boots! Woohoo!

What the hell is that about?

Dear TGR,

You guys seriously rock for hosting these forums, but you really need to make it iPhone friendly.

Skiers are inherently travelers, and since traveling involves a lot of down time, naturally accessing these forums on the go is something I'm quite sure a lot of us are doing. The iPhone (specifically) has put the Internet into the pockets of millions of people like nothing before (mainly due to presentation, not really technology, but I digress.) IMHO, this fact alone should be enough to motivate you guys to get on the problem.

Anyway, it looks there are several "forum reader" apps in the iPhone App store that simplify rendering of vBulletin forums, but it also appears that those apps need to have support for specific sites, (I assume due to customization of such sites.)

I came across something called, (lamely enough,) "Tapatalk" when looking into this today. They seem to be free for forum operators, but it costs a few bucks in the iPhone app store. Maybe that one is completely lame, I don't know, but there must be a simple solution along those lines that you guys could implement without too much cost/ trouble.

Tapatalk works great. It is vBulletin specific. If the admins can get on board with them it would be good for all. You can do everything including upload pics and vids from the iphone.

Please get on Tapatalk?

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    Tapatalk works great. It is vBulletin specific. If the admins can get on board with them it would be good for all. You can do everything including upload pics and vids from the iphone.

Please get on Tapatalk?
    As does WiForums. Several other full size forums I follow have their mobile sites setup with this one. It allows you to login in, see new posts, browse forums, view your subscriptions, reply, edit, etc.

Admins (whoever you are these days):

Here's another vote for Tapatalk. I installed this on my phpBB3 forum in minutes and it works very well. There are native clients for iPhone, Android, Nokia, and Blackberry.

http://www.tapatalk.com/en/plugin

my only complaint is that on Blackberry, my browser doesn't do well with the drop-down menus at the top (shop, our films, athletes, etc), so every page is a slow load and scrolling halfway down the page to get past all the (expanded) drop down menus... just saw this thread though, and at first glance, the archive works great...

Any updates on this? TGR on a mobile device is painfully slow and not fun to read.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Was just reading about tapatalk. Any update on adding access for TGR forums? At least according to them it is a really simple task for the admins, just put the plugin there and we buy the app for the iPhone.

TGR420?
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

advres Guest
    For serious... The site is displaying super fucked on my iPhone right now. I would show you a screen grab from my phone but there is no way to upload from the iPhone currently. Bummer. Maybe I'll email it to myself and upload it later.... :/

Is there actually a WAP vBulletin?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

advres Guest
    So here it is... The banner is displaying normal but the rest of the site and content is shifted to the side. The content literally starts where the banner ends and there are faux links there. weird. I just checked it out again right now and it is still doing this (not a few days ago though).

advres Guest
    bump... the picture I posted is a new bug so if something was recently changed, could you fix it? The forums are pretty much unusable on iphones now.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    bump... the picture I posted is a new bug so if something was recently changed, could you fix it? The forums are pretty much unusable on iphones now.
    <shurg> works fine on my iphone 3gs today

advres Guest
    weird, because it has been doing that for about a week or so now for me. All other pages display fine.