Bone bruise recovery time?

Apparently when I tore my meniscus, the top of my fibula and tibia collided with the bottom of my femur, pretty seriously brusing all four contact points. Dr. said I was pretty close to a spiral fracture in the fibula in particular. The surgury is healing up pretty good and I expect to be off the crutches in about a week. But this morning, I had one of those involuntary stretches and when my knee bent, the fibula and femur must have made contact - I was seeing stars... Not worse than before, but not even a little bit better either. It's been almost two months now since the injury and it's pretty disconcerting that there's really been no change.... Any of you have any experience with this sort of thing?

Bone bruises do suck.

I had extensive bone bruising in both knees after getting hit by a car back in 2005 - it took a good 10-12 weeks for the pain to dissipate, and I still get some discomfort in my right knee when I spend a long day doing something, but this is compounded by other issues in the knee as well.

I remember my doc telling me 6-10 weeks for healing of bone bruising.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    Bone bruises do suck.
    I remember my doc telling me 6-10 weeks for healing of bone bruising.
    Ditto that. I bruised the bones in my knee last year and it was pretty much out of commission for 8 weeks.

thanks a lot for the info guys - glad to know this isn't out of the ordinary. I'm supposed to see the doc here in the next 10 days or so - I'll run it by him then.

When I tore my ACL and MCL, my bones collided too. I had significant bruising and had to use crutches for 5 weeks. I'm twelve weeks out and believe I'm finally over THAT pain. I had so much damage in there, it's hard to say what was coming from where, but I'm finally feeling better now. The first two months, I had a lot of pain.

My surgeon was pretty concerned about the bruising and didn't want any weight bearing until they healed. It takes a long time. Much different than a fracture.

Now I have to have ACL reconstruction a week from today and I'm getting pretty nervous about it.
    "If you don't know where you're going, you end up someplace else"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy Knee View Post
    When I tore my ACL and MCL, my bones collided too. I had significant bruising and had to use crutches for 5 weeks. I'm twelve weeks out and believe I'm finally over THAT pain. I had so much damage in there, it's hard to say what was coming from where, but I'm finally feeling better now. The first two months, I had a lot of pain.

My surgeon was pretty concerned about the bruising and didn't want any weight bearing until they healed. It takes a long time. Much different than a fracture.

Now I have to have ACL reconstruction a week from today and I'm getting pretty nervous about it.
    Thanks for posting - and good luck to you with the ACL - you grafting your own, or stealing from some defensless dead guy? lol... Good luck patching up. You still got a ways to go until it's ski time again. AFAIK, summer can eat a dick.

Thanks!

I'm going with the dead guy. He won't feel a thing. Unfortunately, I will. We're still trying to decide what to name him.

Seriously though, I apreciate the gift. I don't have any good tissue of my own to use. Both Patellas are bad and I have hamstring problems so.... dead guy.

I am a donor myself, but honest to god, when I'm gone, I hope they can find something I've got that will help someone out. I'm pretty rough on myself.
    "If you don't know where you're going, you end up someplace else"