Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Those things look sweet.... I wonder if they're fast.
    Our 22-month old Berner is faster than our 8-year-old Sheltie, but not as maneuverable. Berners are very strong, capable of pulling carts or sleds loaded with up to 10X their body weight. They also handle cold incredibly well - they're bred for it.

But I'd get a sled dog - Malamute or Siberian Husky - for a dog that can run with you in the back country all day, day after day. Many individuals of those two breeds love to work - to pull sleds.

our two year old berner Cooper loves being in the BC. dosent get cold and won't go more than 50 feet from us.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 01-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Dogs should not be bombing big lines. It is unethical, it is 99% about the owner, not the dog. Avalanche terrain is not for dogs, except working rescue dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Starke was the pup of a Bernese father and Malamute mom. 90lbs during his prime. Just enough laid back berner to offset the willfulness of the maly. Silky overcoat never balled snow, but shed an undercoat enough to spin and knit a wool sweater. 25C+ was hard on him in his later years, but wouldn't blink at -30C in a blizzard. Fantastic with kids and wildlife. Dominant but not aggressive with other dogs. Haven't seen a litter of the same since (bitch Berner and Maly stud but they at the least looked far more berner). Best pack mate I've ever had, wandering the country from the Flathead to the Cassiar over all seasons. Think of and miss him everyday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	993.6 KB 
ID:	147805

Views:	582 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	147806

Umm??? In pretty sure thats why there is a group called "working breeds". We didnt spend thousands of years breeding the perfect dogs for different situations, just to get all "ethical" and use those breeds for show. Mountain dogs were bred for the mountains...And when it really comes down to ethics, id rather spend half a dogs life running around in the mountains, than a full dog lifecycle stuck in the car or at home...

This way of thinking is too prissy panther. Ohh lets invest the time and money into a gsmd or bernese, and turn it into a prissy panther show dog or babysitter. GTFO of here.

if you like Swiss Bernese style, look at the smallest version, a Entlebucher Sennenhund or Entlebucher Mountain Dog
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    Umm??? In pretty sure thats why there is a group called "working breeds". We didnt spend thousands of years breeding the perfect dogs for different situations, just to get all "ethical" and use those breeds for show. Mountain dogs were bred for the mountains...And when it really comes down to ethics, id rather spend half a dogs life running around in the mountains, than a full dog lifecycle stuck in the car or at home...

This way of thinking is too prissy panther. Ohh lets invest the time and money into a gsmd or bernese, and turn it into a prissy panther show dog or babysitter. GTFO of here.
    Exactly!!

I'm all for dogs in the backcountry responsibly. I am AGAINST for dogs on big avalanche lines, unless they are working an avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Best pack mate I've ever had, wandering the country from the Flathead to the Cassiar over all seasons. Think of and miss him everyday.

Views:	578 
Size:	993.6 KB 
ID:	147805

Views:	582 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	147806
    Great looking guy BCMH. It never fails to amaze me how I still shed a tear when I think of my past pups. I light of this thread being bumped, if your in Canada or do not mind traveling, look into the Euraser breed. I think they would be perfect BC partners. https://www.google.com/search?q=Eura...tm%3B275%3B275
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

female Labrador mixed breed. Nine years later has never quit, still charging
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000126.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	147814  
    Last edited by BFD; 01-04-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm all for dogs in the backcountry responsibly. I am AGAINST for dogs on big avalanche lines, unless they are working an avalanche.
    I concur with Summit.

See:

Amusing clip because the dog was fine, but...

Back on topic, we've been thinking small-ish Aussie Shepherd. Don't want anything bigger than 50 or so due to current living situation. We have a small miniature schnauzer who is a great lapdog/watchdog/cabindog, but she can't handle deep snow or anything much longer than 3-4 miles hiking. She has a luxating patella issue that she's had surgery on, but still gets tired/skips on that leg after a few miles. It'd be nice to have a dog that I can be active with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I've seen my dog tomahawk like that down a chute and over a rock band. Not fun, he got busted up pretty bad. I'm pretty gun shy of skiing with the dog since then. Plus sometimes they can't climb to the line you're after and turn you around.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Ok ok... I agree.

And to the guy talking about entlebuchers, theyre great dogs. As a doberman owner, ive learned to love black and tan breeds. Owning dobermans has made me hesitant towards other dog breeds tho. Dobermans are the total package dog if you know how to keep them happy and respectful. Too bad they suck for backcountry.

I will be adopting two new puppies this spring, and thinking of breeds. My short list is greater swiss MD and Rottweiler, but also looking into a smaller breed with more stamina. Who knows, but it will be a ton of work.

Last edited by JayPowHound; 01-05-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    You want a dog that loves to run in the snow... seems like you should be focusing almost exclusively on dogs that have been bred to run in the snow.

www.dogbreedinfo.com/sleddogs.htm
    I dont do well with that fur type... And i need something that can also handle much warmer climates. A greater swiss MD seems to be perfect, only thing is theyre big heavy dogs.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388947821.454844.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	147841

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388947870.059460.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	147842

12" new @ 15f for three hours.
    We don't need no stinkin sweater and booties.

Having a dog is a 365 days/year proposition.

I'm a fan of the mutt approach, as it worked great w us the first time around. Gizmo is a border collie/heeler mix, loves the snow, used to shred 20mi mtb rides in her prime and still flies thru the air for frisbees at 11yo. Her fur does not attract snow and she is a svelte 35.5lbs, which allows her to float thru pow and accelerate extremely quickly. Her obedience is unwavering and she will still put in a solid 3h outside in the winter and all day backpacking in the summer. Her only detriment in summer is her black coat, which holds heat in the desert. Heck, she even learned to swim at 8y, after watching one of her lab friends in the lake!! We could only be so lucky to get another one like her.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388961194.785606.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	147861

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    I dont do well with that fur type... And i need something that can also handle much warmer climates. A greater swiss MD seems to be perfect, only thing is theyre big heavy dogs.
    labrador retrievers, most versatile breed year round.
    North Bend Retriever Kennels, first class breeding in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Psychiatrist View Post
    I've thought a bit about this lately, and other than the breeds that have already been mentioned, Elkhounds, huskies, labs, etc, the one I keep coming back to is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever http://dogbreedinfo.com/chesapeakebay.htm

Seems that if you're not gonna get some sort of Artic dog, that a water dog would be the next best choice. A dog that can take the cold and stay dry underneath. I remember duck hunting in winter as a kid and the Chesapeakes and black labs would hit icy, icy rivers like it was nothing, swim out, shake off, and turn white because the water drops would freeze near instantaneously.
    They'd do that all day if they could.

I ' ll Second the nomination for Chesapeakes --

My 'Blue' is now Ten years of age ;

She is,,, one of the Great Gifts of my Life --

Completely Dedicated. there is Nothing this dog could not have done --

She is my almost constant companion - Always Ready for any adventure .

assess The parentage -- Watch temperament and hips and eyes - and Temperment .

Chesapeakes are known to be One-person dogs - though 'Blue' is beautiful with other People .
    ... she can be,,, testy with other dogs
    ( as a young dog, she was dominant simply by her Energy . )

. . . I ' ll have another.

good luck ... skiJ
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

My dog tomahawked down this Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388968398.694443.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  9.5 KB steep hard snow ie spring skiing is super dangerous, dogs don't have edges.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

http://www.courageouscaucasians.com/

Big, burly, and warm. In emergency - they could carry you back out to the truck!

Name:	PB290364.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	148037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0635.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	148038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010281.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	148039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1036.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	975.8 KB 
ID:	148041
    Best ski dog ever!
    I got Nesta when a friend went into the Peace Corps and asked me to look after his mutt for two years. That was over a decade ago. Her mom was a white German shepherd and dad was allegedly from the neighbor's sled dog team. Good combo-very, very gentle toward humans, obedient enough, always very healthy and a natural talent for pulling. I bought her a harness when I got her at about 2 years old. My sled dog running friends say she is a "wheel" dog- not real good at leading, but pulls at a constant pace all day. At 65lb, she helps out a ton on the skin track. Her coat never balls up and is thick enough for brutal cold temps. She has always run down the slopes behind skiers, seldom getting in the way.
    She will be 14 this coming February. We don't ski much powder together anymore, but we go cross-country skiing a couple times a week. My wife and I plan on getting two Husky/German Shepherd mutts somewhere down the line. Having a pulling dog for ski touring is great- it surprises me to see how many folks ski with their huskies un-harnessed. If anyone wants, Adanac Sleds in Montana still makes their x-back harness for around $20 and you can build a sweet lightweight leash from stuff you have in your junk drawer- bungee, some p-cord and a key chain biner.

Thin Cover's Plotthound is a freakin' absolute beast and sends it with no hesitation. I'm always blown away at how little the cold effects him for being short haired. He also never stops moving though, so that probably helps.

I'd say there's many good choices out there. Mostly sporting breeds would be your best bet, lighter and more athletic is almost always better unless you're buying a Grand St. Bernard or a Burmese or something. I'd probably lean towards Samoyed, Elkhound, or if you're open to adopting any mutt that is mid-sized and has a middle of the road or thicker coat that is athletically built, attentive and alert would probably be a good place to start with.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I'm a fan of the mutt approach, as it worked great w us the first time around. Gizmo is a border collie/heeler mix, loves the snow, used to shred 20mi mtb rides in her prime and still flies thru the air for frisbees at 11yo. Her fur does not attract snow and she is a svelte 35.5lbs
    I agree with this. We did Goldens and Labs, and except for fur between the toes on the Goldens both were fine. In other words, lots of breeds work well.
    We now like 35 pound lanky mutts, because that size would be easier to carry if you had to, and the lankyness helps for snow and speed.. Here's 2 short vids, (yes I know the camera is held wrong):
    Notice he gets out of the way:

It's nice to have a dog to eat the goat poop out of the icy boot pack:
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Not to belabor the point, but there was an avalanche yesterday where a dog was buried 6 feet deep. Luckily it was saved because the person caught in the slide with it could hear it barking through the snow.