Ibuprofin Advil bad for Bone healing

I came across this concept while googling for info to help heal my broken tibia.
    I even found a scientific article that compared the 4 scientific studies on point and found the data mixed and not fully conclusive.

Intuitively it makes sense, since swelling and inflammation might be what stimulates bone growth.

I asked my ortho at my last checkup and he said absolutely without a doubt, no question in his mind. Kinda surprising that he didn't mention it on m first visit if its so true.

He had an anecdotal story of a young guy that was sort of an evil kneivel of constant broken bones. His latest break was not healing for several months. After stopping his regimen of 800mg of ibu every 6 hours (clearly they guy was an extreme case of ibu dosage for all his aches and pains) he healed up as expected by the next visit.

An occasional dose should not hurt, but I know a lot of skiers that consider ibu a miracle drug to combat swelling and aches.
    When healing a broken bone, you may want to ease up on the ibu.

Smoking is the worst possible thing for bone healing. My ortho said ibu is a distant second.

He also said there are drugs that accelerate bone healing, but they have a side effect of increasing the risk of bone cancer. Said there are probably some elite athletes that take it to get back in the game.

Interesting stuff. Thought I would share if it helps anyone else.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

Sadly, alcohol is probably not great for bone healing either. Note that most of the relevant studies looked at rats forced to drink alcohol all the time or at alcoholics who have poor nutrition, but still. Probably best to cut down on the sauce when healing.

Alcohol may impair wound repair as well.

Pain killers

I wonder how Ibu stacks up against the more "core" painkillers, like Vicodin, Percozet, etc.?
    I'd assume they act the same, and not be good for bone healing? Or would they actually be worse, as they have a more profound painkilling effect?

At least with Ibu you keep a clear head, and your bowels don't get all stopped up...

I remember from other threads that Caffeine is bad for healing, and Yoghurt is good (Calcium).

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Smoking is the worst for bone healing, or tobacco?
    Neil Young said Harvest put him right in the middle of the road, so he headed for the nearest ditch. I think we've kind of just gone ditch to ditch to ditch a lot of the time.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Side note: Freshly cut pineapple is good for healing tendon and joint injuries I read the other day.

My ortho highly recommends hookers and blow.

Wait, maybe that was my ski maker.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

In terms of painkillers: I think ibuprofen is special because it's an NSAID, as opposed to narcotics, which work differently. I.e., you're free to vic out, I believe.

I've also heard that ibuprofen inhibits muscle growth as well...no pain, no gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

MY U.K. Ortho was very clear: No Ibru, no Asprin. Paracetemol is OK as are morphine derived if pain is bad.
    I found that they block me up like concrete so got off those quickly. I'd rather take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    I wonder how Ibu stacks up against the more "core" painkillers, like Vicodin, Percozet, etc.?
    I'd assume they act the same, and not be good for bone healing? Or would they actually be worse, as they have a more profound painkilling effect?

At least with Ibu you keep a clear head, and your bowels don't get all stopped up...
    Its not the painkiller its the anti-inflammatory. Tylenol (= acetaminophin or paracetamol) is okay.
    In fact, Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol, so should be okay.
    If you are off the narcotics and have pain, take tylenol instead.
    "Fakers are Maggots" - T. Hall, 2011
    heh
    only a fake Rasta could make a claim like that

After I broke my leg my ortho said no ibu. I went without it for 3-4 weeks. After that, the inflammation was so bad that on the advice of my nurse practitioner godmother (who has had a bunch of bone issues herself) I went on 800mg every eight for a week. Helped tremendously. Her rationale was: 1. I'd gotten a good start on the healing; 2. I was using an ortho-prescribed Exogen, which was giving me a serious leg up; 3. Ibu/NSAIDs may hurt somewhat, but not a ton, and the studies (which she had also read) are somewhat inconclusive.

The Exogen is pretty sweet, BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    Oh for sure. Every time I walk in the garage and see that lame-ass Porsche I have to drive now, I think to myself "Better head down to the bus station and suck some dicks until I get my self respect back."

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Smoking is the worst for bone healing, or tobacco?
    I'm pretty sure that it's the nicotine in the tobacco that causes the negative effects. It constricts your capillaries and inhibits blood flow. Blood is what carries what you need to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Its not the painkiller its the anti-inflammatory. Tylenol (= acetaminophin or paracetamol) is okay.
    In fact, Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol, so should be okay.
    If you are off the narcotics and have pain, take tylenol instead.
    This is what I've always been told as well. Tylenol only, no Ibu.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    2. I was using an ortho-prescribed Exogen, which was giving me a serious leg up;
    The Exogen is pretty sweet, BTW.
    My ortho hasn't been real impressed in his opinion with these types of treatments. This is a bone stimulator, right? I talked to him about it last year, and he seemed to think there weren't any conclusive results from these devices. Anyone else have any experience with them? It seems like it would be tough to prove beyond doubt that these work seeing as everyone heals at different rates and it's not like you want to purposefully break both your legs, try this on one and not try it on the other, just to see the difference in heal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    My ortho hasn't been real impressed in his opinion with these types of treatments. This is a bone stimulator, right? I talked to him about it last year, and he seemed to think there weren't any conclusive results from these devices. Anyone else have any experience with them? It seems like it would be tough to prove beyond doubt that these work seeing as everyone heals at different rates and it's not like you want to purposefully break both your legs, try this on one and not try it on the other, just to see the difference in heal time.
    Check the fifth link down, it\\\'s a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    Oh for sure. Every time I walk in the garage and see that lame-ass Porsche I have to drive now, I think to myself "Better head down to the bus station and suck some dicks until I get my self respect back."

Mrs EO found this out the hard way. Her first cervical fusion in 2000 failed primarily due to her taking a max dose of IB daily for months for the pain. Doc never told her not to do that. She had the fusion redone in 2003 after an xray showed she didn't have a solid bone. The surgeon told us the old bone was mush when he pulled it out. Seems she was a real life bobble head. She hasn't used IB since.